Encounter creation problem

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Tc63
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Tc63 »

i had this trouble too. All random encounter enemies have a random amount of equipment from thier inventory, apart from equiped stuff, which is certain to appear. I gave them their normal gun in one hand, some normal ammo just in case it did appear, then created a duplicate of thier main weapon which used no ammo at all. This way you will still get shot at, just not by burst weapons.

Level of experience is worked out using the players exp plus the experience number given in the campaign table. The points gained by going up these levels is automattically spent on the entities tag skills, or spread out over all of them.

the only trouble i have with random encounters now, is i want to change what coulors the spawned enemies turn up as, it would be good to set it up so for example, in my campaign, everyone needs green skin. Any ideas?
Tc63
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Tc63 »

Replys to questions:

1A. Yes, which is what im having to do in another of my campaigns

1B. yep, just put in a load of crap in the entities list bit of the encounter

1C. yep, also true, a very long winded approach mind. you could also have 8 or so groups on each map, and have it randomly select which group to fight against

2A. see post above

2B. yes
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

RE

Post by PaladinHeart »

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll just have to figure out the formula (how much exp is given based on the enemy's level). Otherwise I can go with the long winded approach.. which isn't bad really. Besides, I never enjoyed the random encounters anyway. What is the fun of enemies just walking across the map and maybe or maybe not running into you?

This, when you could make a trigger based map with whatever enemy type you wanted, along with buildings, etc. etc..

I think I might try using the random encounters to generate random loot. Hmm.. nah. I don't like trying to figure out their methods. I'll use my own random generation thingy.

Plus, since im not going to randomly generate enemies. I don't need to figure out how much exp they'll give. So everything works out fine that way.. hmm.. I might figure it out anyway though. Im sure others here would like to know.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. " -John 3:16

Hopes. Dreams. You have to live these things. If not, they will remain prisoner within the confines of your mind for the rest of your life.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

Tc63 wrote:the only trouble i have with random encounters now, is i want to change what coulors the spawned enemies turn up as, it would be good to set it up so for example, in my campaign, everyone needs green skin. Any ideas?
Nah the colours is entirely randomised, the only way around it is to make special encounters instead.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
quietfanatic
Respected
Respected

Post by quietfanatic »

Tc63 wrote: I gave them their normal gun in one hand, some normal ammo just in case it did appear, then created a duplicate of thier main weapon which used no ammo at all. This way you will still get shot at, just not by burst weapons.
Why wouldn't you get shot with burst weapons? You can have infinite ammo miniguns, even without a magazine!

Super Mutants would be a bit big as orks, and we pretty much only have the sprites that are already there.
Forgive my ignorance master.
DIE...die weak fool (cue Bozar death)
Tc63
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Tc63 »

yes you can have infinite ammo miniguns, but to make it infinte amm, you need to change "ammo usage" to 0, which means whenever the minigun fires on "burst" it actually only fires one shot in that burst. I am using the supermutants as orks at the moment, but im hanging on, hoping that a new sprite editor will come out before fallout tactics is completely forgotten about
quietfanatic
Respected
Respected

Post by quietfanatic »

I could of sworn that when I set ammo useage to 25, three guys were killed in one burst.

EDIT: I was mistaken, with testing, I found that they do only fire one shot. (I mixed up a situation with a radius weapon.
Last edited by quietfanatic on Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Experience progression using the level editor or campaign text (random encounters), based on a level 0 entity with a base experience of 1 point.
  • Level - Experience
    0 - 1 point
    1 - 1 point
    2 - 1 point
    3 - 1 point
    4 - 1 point
    5 - 1 point
    6 - 2 points
    7 - 2 points
    8 - 3 points
    9 - 3 points
    10 - 4 points
    11 - 5 points
    12 - 6 points
    13 - 7 points
    14 - 9 points
    15 - 11 points
    16 - 13 points
    17 - 15 points
    18 - 19 points
    19 - 22 points
    20 - 26 points
    21 - 31 points
    22 - 38 points
    23 - 45 points
    24 - 53 points
    25 - 63 points
    26 - 76 points
    27 - 90 points
    28 - 107 points
    29 - 127 points
    30 - 152 points
    31 - 181 points
    32 - 215 points
    33 - 255 points
    34 - 304 points
    35 - 362 points
    36 - 430 points
    37 - 511 points
    38 - 608 points
    39 - 724 points
    40 - 861 points
    41 - 1023 points
    42 - 1217 points
    43 - 1448 points
    44 - 1722 points
    45 - 2047 points
    46 - 2435 points
    47 - 2896 points
    48 - 3444 points
    49 - 4095 points
    50 - 4870 points
So to work out the approximate experience value of an actor times their base experience points against the value per level. I say approximate as there are some invisible decimal places, for example the giant rat with a base experience of 8 is worth 38967 experience points at level 50. Which actually works out as 8 x 4870.875. I'm not sure, but I think the value after the decimal point either changes per race or not.
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Post by PaladinHeart »

Wow, a giant rat worth almost 39,000 experience! Who wouldn't expend a big gun burst on one of those? Which, im sure, would undoubtedly kill it in one hit.

The only way this formula would work for a longer campaign would be setting everything up with 1 experience point. Not much fun, but it would work.

That means a deathclaw would be level 40, which isn't exactly a long stretch of the imagination. Im sure everyone remembers how hard they were to kill in FO1 & 2.

Thanks for the list RFAS, that will definitely come in handy. But up till about level 30, everything is worthless! That's why it was so hard to build up your characters in the default campaign. And expending ammunition, without getting any back, meant that you couldn't keep engaging random encounters.

OK back to tile work for me..
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. " -John 3:16

Hopes. Dreams. You have to live these things. If not, they will remain prisoner within the confines of your mind for the rest of your life.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Remember those are the numbers for the lowest experience base, most opponents have a higher base experience value, plus when you've got several opponents the experience is going to add up.

Personally I'm toying with the idea of having the experience for opponents set to 0 and only awarding experience for completing mission objectives.
quietfanatic
Respected
Respected

Post by quietfanatic »

That would mean that random encounters would be even more useless. There would have to be many difficult objectives which give huge rewards.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

My special encounter will be a little tactical mission, where you need to survive an ambush etc. For the RE's I'm trying to set it up that instead of meeting human opponents you stumble into a minefield and then need to find your way out. Otherwise I'm in the opinion that random encounters should be there to make the game more dangerous to your characters not just to provide cheap experience or equipment.
quietfanatic
Respected
Respected

Post by quietfanatic »

Outdoorsman 100%. Still, it is nice to have a challenge that is interesting and dangerous, not just time wasting.
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Post by PaladinHeart »

At least the player could use a highly skilled trapper and get the mines for cash. :)

I had a bunch of other stuff typed, but I figured it was going off-topic too much. Stuff like.. recommended tag skills for user-made campaigns. :bored:

Tc63
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Tc63 »

If you wanted to, you could probably put the mines into the random encounter enimies table. Ie, they would spawn like the randomly encountered enemies, so that thier placement is semi random. This could also be done with oil drums/containers etc, then you could say something like "you have come across an enemy supply depot, destroy what you can and then get the hell out".

If it works, it would add some fun little "mini-missions" to a campaign
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

That's what I'm trying but the placement is very random. The player spawns you put on a landscape map only dictate the numbers spawned not the position, for instance you have a random encounter set for a min-max of 2-3 and then have the entities, one raider basic, one raider heavy and one raider enforcer. If you've only put one spawn point on the map you'll only tend to get one of the entity groups showing up, i.e. 1 raider basic. If you've added three spawn points then you get a mixture of all three types. But the placement of each group will be entirely random.
Our Host!