Mod concept - anyone interested?

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Mod concept - anyone interested?

Post by Retlaw83 »

I'm considering changing the things wrong with the real-world weapons in FoT and maybe bringing it more in line with Fallout canon like Humanshield is doing to Fo2. I know many people have promised this, but I've never seen a completed mod.

Things I'm considering doing are making the SAW take 5.56mm ammo, making the weapons like the M14 and M1 available earlier in the game and AK-47s available later, adding triggers and tagnames to make the recruits under player control react to each other and their surroundings, and attempting to smooth over some of the rough spots in the story the best I can. The goal, of course, would be to give the default campaign a massive amount of replayibility

If I did this, would anyone like to play it? And if so, what would you like to see? Think along the lines of things the QM has for sale and when, things that don't make sense that you'd like corrected, etc.

I think undertaking this would be a good warmup for the RPG I plan on making with FoT.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
xbow
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by xbow »

Hell yes i want to play and if you need any help with the sprites and entities or mission maps let me know.

I have been thinking of making a sprite of the .30 cal (30-06) browning MG .

also there needs to be a separation between 7.62mm x 51 NATO and 7.67 x 39 russian. the G3- m240- m60- M14 ect should take 7.62 x 51 Nato ammo while the AK47 and RPD squad automatic take the smaller 7.62 x 39 ammo

There should also be 7.62 x54r for russian heavy belt feds

I have sprites already made for all of these guns except the .30 cal I just need to make new ammo types.

for the M1 Garand I have a sniper version and the standard.
Last edited by xbow on Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I don't think its possible to make new ammo types without replacing old ones.

If I need your help, I'll certainly ask for it. I'm mainly concerned with presenting existing weapons better rather than adding new ones, though. As far as mapping and such are concerned, the primary focus will be fixing the terribly awful random and special encounters.
- the Vault Dweller
xbow
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

new ammo types

Post by xbow »

You can do it with BoSEE I remember making 300mag ammo without overwriting an existing type.

OTB made a tutorial of how to do it using BoSEE
OTB wrote:How To Create A New Ammo Type

First, head to the files section of the site and DL "BoSEE", which is what you'll need.

Here's what you need to do:

1) Create ammo and weapon entities that you're going to use w/your new ammo type. It doesn't matter what you set the ammo to, since you're going to change it anyway.

2) You will have to have unpacked the various text files that FoT reads for non-hard-coded information. The file you're looking for is called "ammo.txt" and is located at the following address:

C:\Program Files\14 Degrees East\Fallout Tactics\core\locale\game

3) In this file you will see entries like this:

{name_Needle} = {Needle}

You will need to come up with something to call your new ammo type. Since ".45" is used for the standard .45 (i.e. ACP) in the game, you can simply use:

{name_.45C} = {.45 Colt}

4) Open the ammo entities and weapons that you want to set to this type of ammo with BoSEE and change the ammo field to whatever is in the "name_" portion of your ammo.txt file.

Warning: Once you save the file using BoSEE, you cannot modify it with the standard entity editor w/o setting the ammo type to "None". In other words, if you want to modify the entity, you will have to make whatever changes you want to make, then re-modify and re-save the entity using BoSEE.

BTW, if you're planning on making a mod for distribution, I recommend using the "-path" option on the run command. This way you won't force people to copy-'n'-paste all sorts of files to play your mod.

Last, but not least, I have to get up on my cartridge nomenclature soapbox. There is no such cartridge as ".45 Long Colt". It's actually just ".45 Colt", but it's been misused for so long that even Colt brochures list it as ".45 LC". (Source: Lyman's Handloading Manual).
M92FS
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by M92FS »

xbow wrote:Hell yes i want to play and if you need any help with the sprites and entities or mission maps let me know.

I have been thinking of making a sprite of the .30 cal (30-06) browning MG .

also there needs to be a separation between 7.62mm x 51 NATO and 7.67 x 39 russian. the G3- m240- m60- M14 ect should take 7.62 x 51 Nato ammo while the AK47 and RPD squad automatic take the smaller 7.62 x 39 ammo

There should also be 7.62 x54r for russian heavy belt feds

I have sprites already made for all of these guns except the .30 cal I just need to make new ammo types.

for the M1 Garand I have a sniper version and the standard.
looks like u r another guns enthusiast ! : D

I had corrected all my FOT guns and ammo problems. looking forward 4 your guns and ammo sprites ! : )
It's about *beep*in' time some backup got here! Quote by Paladin Solo. ( FOT )

You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Then who the hell else are you talkin' to? You talkin' to me? Well, I'm the only one here. Who do the fuck do you think you're talking to? Oh, yeah? Ok.

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload. ... ile_id=762

Post by Guest »

I'd also like to help. Guns are cool and tactics needs more correct ones.
xbow
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

special and random encounters

Post by xbow »

I agree special and random encounters ARE possibly the weakest part of FOT I like the random encounters vs dogs and wolves because thats what would be out after anything moving in the desert, the attacks however should be stronger. Most of the special encounters in FOT are assholistic, i like serious special encounters I think that there should be more trade encounters as well.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Re: Mod concept - anyone interested?

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

Retlaw83 wrote:If I did this, would anyone like to play it? And if so, what would you like to see? Think along the lines of things the QM has for sale and when, things that don't make sense that you'd like corrected, etc.
The quarter masters can be taken out of the existing campaign entirely, the last time I played through I didn't go to the QM until before I left for Vault 0. Then I sold off everything I'd been stockpiling and just loaded up on ammo and power armour (even then I still had 800,000 odd BOS scrip left over). To make it more PA get rid of most of the stuff available, so that you have to scrounge for supplies or trading items. A couple of good merchants appearing through the game would be better.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

All right, if anyone wants to contribute they can e-mail at the address in my profile.

First thing that should be done is finding out which weapons use incorrect ammo, find which weapons should use Russian 7.62mm and the NATO 7.62mm for xbow's idea, and deciding which weapons should appear when. I've never had a problem with the weapons balance once the I hit the robot part, but anyone is free to tell me if they do.

I think I'm also going to go with Requiem's idea, or a variation on it. The only thing I buy from the QM is the little bit of ammo he has and armor. Maybe cut everything from his list except ammo supplies and power armor, and then make him available only at the last bunker? I'd keep the civilian merchants in the bunker (perhaps adding one to each) and have them take scrip to smooth out the supply situation.

Things I'm going to definitely do are make AK-47s and their Russian ammo much less plentiful - you ain't gonna find much of that in America - and M16s and 5.56mm ammo more plentiful. I'm also going to differentiate the M60 and SAW a bit more, as well as making the hunting rifle take 5.56mm because the civilian equivalent is .223 - what it used in the first two Fallouts.
- the Vault Dweller
M92FS
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by M92FS »

Pistols :

Browning Hi Power : magazine capacity should be 13 instead of 12.

Calico M950 : magazine capacity should be 100 as the magazine length had already extended over to the stock.

Casull Revolver : caliber should be .44 Mag or .454 Casull and it got a 5 shot capacity instead of 6.

Colt .45 : magazine capacity should be 7.

SMGs :

FN P90C : Caliber should be 5.7mm x 28mm

Scorpio : Caliber should be 7.65mm x 17mm Browning and magazine capacity should be 20.

Steyr Aug : Magazine capacity should be 30 or 42.

Uzi : Magazine should be 32 or 40 , although there's a 25 rounds magazine , but the sprite got an extended magazine.

Rifles :

AK-47 : Caliber should be 7.62mm x 39mm Soviet and magazine capacity should be 30.

M-14 : caliber should be 7.62 as for 7.62mm x 51mm NATO instead of .303

M-16 : magazine capacity should be 30

Sniper Rifle : the sprite is a Heckler & Koch MSG90 and magazine capacity should be 20 rounds.

Machine Guns :

M-249 : caliber should be 5.56mm x 45mm NATO

Adjusted the dmg range for rifles/Machine guns. change 9mm ball to 9mm FMJ ( penetration +15% ) , removed .44 ball. changed all rifle cartridge to FMJ ( Penetration + 15% ) including Browning .50 cartridge.

You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Then who the hell else are you talkin' to? You talkin' to me? Well, I'm the only one here. Who do the fuck do you think you're talking to? Oh, yeah? Ok.

MurPHy
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MurPHy »

There should be non-semiautomatic rifles present in large quantities in the game. There are a LOT of bolt-action hunting rifles in the U.S. today (there were a lot in the '50s too), and that fact should be represented in the game.

If the .303 British rimmed cartridge is kept in the game, then one weapon besides the Bren LMG should be the SMLE No.1 Mk. III. Another should be the Vickers HMG.

One version or another of the Remington M700 bolt-action rifle should be presented. It was (and still is) a very popular type of firearm. One variant of it also saw service in Vietnam as a sniper rifle in the Marine Corps.

Another firearm that could be introduced is the M1903 Springfield. It is essentially an American version of the Mauser series of bolt-action combat rifles. The fact that it was standard issue in the U.S. Army for a long time(1903-1955?), and saw service in three major wars (WWI, WWII, Korea), is significance enough for it to be included. The fact that many, many of these firearms were manufactured over that time period, and the fact that the U.S. gov't is currently selling off surplus rifles the the general public (see www.odcmp.com for more information), is also ample evidence that there are many examples of this rilfe in the United States today. Also note that the cartridge it uses is the .30-06 round, which was adopted for the rifle in 1906, of course.

Post by Guest »

Graet job suggesting the Enfield, pretty gun. Popular hunting rifle too. The semi-auto rifles, maybe have the M1a and the M14. Same gun only semi auto. The remington 700, do you mean the winchester model 70? That is the current sniper rifle for the US.
MurPHy
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MurPHy »

No. I mean what I said. Also, it is no longer in current use by the military (that I know of). It was used in "Nam. Here's a photo:

It is a very simple firearm. This particular example is chambered in a 6.5x55mm cartridge, which is likely a proprietary Remington round.

Post by Guest »

Oh, still, the Enfield is nice.

That remington kinda looks like a Ruger M77, only the Ruger is nicer, and the one I have is in .300 win mag.
quietfanatic
Respected
Respected

Post by quietfanatic »

Even though the sprite looks better, the Steyr Aug is not an SMG and should be identified as an assault rifle.
Forgive my ignorance master.
DIE...die weak fool (cue Bozar death)
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

MurPHy wrote:No. I mean what I said. Also, it is no longer in current use by the military (that I know of). It was used in "Nam. Here's a photo:

It is a very simple firearm. This particular example is chambered in a 6.5x55mm cartridge, which is likely a proprietary Remington round.
Is 6.5mm comparable to 30.08?
- the Vault Dweller
M92FS
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by M92FS »

MurPHy wrote:No. I mean what I said. Also, it is no longer in current use by the military (that I know of). It was used in "Nam. Here's a photo:

Is it 6.5mm x 55mm Swedish , is it a rifle cartridge ?

can't find this rifle cartridge by Remington in Guns and Ammo 2004 Annual.

Grey_Ghost
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Grey_Ghost »

Retlaw83 wrote:I'm considering changing the things wrong with the real-world weapons in FoT and maybe bringing it more in line with Fallout canon
After reading this thread I don't see this having anything to do with Fallout canon at all. Seems more to do with making them all the more real world like.

There is no 5.56mm in FO, there is .223cal though. The common assault rifle in FO was a 5mm AK-112, which was described as "An old military model, out of use around the time of the war."

So you need to decide whether or not your goal is to be more Fallout like, or true to the real world. If it's former then you might be interested in the Fallout 1&2 sprite packs made by OTB.

I peronally converted every weapon in FOT to Fallout 2 standards, and used OTB's sprite packs. Then I re-itemized every mission and random encounter entity etc. It gave more of a Fallout feel to FOT, but as the game went on the default campaign does it's best to kill that feeling. After Macomb (the 1000 Alarm Mission) I just run & gunned with CTB, the game isn't very good after that mission IMHO. So I see some heavy redoing of the story and mission themselves to give FOT any kind of replayability. Wish I knew what hapened to OTB, was really looking forward to his mod which was doing that very thing.
You can do it with BoSEE I remember making 300mag ammo without overwriting an existing type
Actually you can do it with a hex editor as well, apparently FOT only looks for name of the ammo size.
Trys to alter FO2 to come more in line with Fallout 1's setting.
Replace FO2 with FOT, and you start making some sense. Sigh, where oh where did OnTheBounce go?

Post by Guest »

Grey_Ghost wrote:There is no 5.56mm in FO, there is .223cal though.
You *do* know thats the same round, right?
MurPHy
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MurPHy »

Retlaw83 wrote:Is 6.5mm comparable to 30.08?
I have never heard of any "30.08" cartridge. If you mean the 30.06, the no. .30 caliber is 7.62mm, so the 6.5mm is smaller. By a lot. The 30.06 is also 83mm long (the case only, the length with a bullet can vary, depending on the type of bullet used), so the 6.5x55 is much shorter too.
Is it 6.5mm x 55mm Swedish , is it a rifle cartridge ?

can't find this rifle cartridge by Remington in Guns and Ammo 2004 Annual.
It is a rifle cartridge, guessing from the length of it. It could be one of thise newfangled "short-and-fat" cartridges. Those are gaining in popularity in the hunting world.

Here's the link for the photo I used:
www.clcweb.net/Shooting/6_5x55/6.5x55.html

Here's an example:
Left to right: 9mm - 22BR - 243 ackley w/70 grain nosler - 308 WIN w/110 grain VMAX - 69 grain berger 243 ackley

I found this too. It's useful for those who don't know about how a modern self-contained cartridge works

Our Host!