I hate it when... (in the movies)

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
Kashluk

I hate it when... (in the movies)

Post by Kashluk »

I hate it when

- people on screen refer to 'rounds of ammunition' as bullets, as in 'I'm out of bullets!'
- a guy is shot wearing a bullet-proof vest and he loses consciousness
- people who get shot in general tend to fly a couple of feet backwards
- cars explode when they're shot
- cars explode when they hit a tree, a wall or another vehicle
- interrogated people always remember what they did on December 21st, between 6 PM and 8 PM or they lie about it - no one ever says 'I don't remember'
- people always remember each other's addresses when asked
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

I hate it when someone is vocal about I hate it when's during a film or programme. :gnasher:

:drunk:
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

Generally these days I hate it when the projectors start shedding photons.
I miss the good ol' USSA.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

I hate it when

- People's cell phone's work EVERYWHERE within the movie. I can't even get great reception in Louisville all the time and here's Scully and Mulder in the woods of Bumfuck, Idaho able to carry conversations with the Pope.
- Magazines are refered to as "clips"
- The sudden twist ending. It ruins otherwise good movies for me. "Book of Eli" for instance.
- Most comic relief characters. Yea, you sometimes get a good one, but then you get a Jar Jar.
- The 3D fad. When used right, it's pretty ok, but generally? I just end up wearing some glasses so I can see a movie that barely attempts to use it. At worst, 3D hinders the movie and makes it look like shite.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Book of Eli had a twist? I thought they made it pretty obvious from the start for anyone paying attention and didn't belabor the final, "just in case you shitheads missed this" close-up shot.
my vocabulary skills is above you.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I hate it when during action scenes there are like 100 different angles shown within 10 seconds and you can't really tell what exactly is going on.

I also hate when movies do that slow motion final kick or punch but then they do it 5 times so you don't know if its the same punch just over and over or its a bunch of different ones.

I don't like when movies don't place emphasis on the surroundings and have the surroundings play a role in what happens. For example a lot of movies don't really use the set at all its just another thing that gets blown up but a good action movie will have make you an idea of the surrounding and how the characters have to work in it. Like seeing that a character needs cover because a bad guy is on the other side of the room or something and not just running through scenes at blazng speed.

I also don't feel like its realistic when characters know exactly where to go since I would totally get lost for an hour trying the address people shout off.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Aonaran wrote:Book of Eli had a twist? I thought they made it pretty obvious from the start for anyone paying attention and didn't belabor the final, "just in case you shitheads missed this" close-up shot.
Really? So blind people often look through scopes to survey a target? Yea. Don't think so. It was a "twist" ending and a very bad one.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Wolfman Walt wrote:
Aonaran wrote:Book of Eli had a twist? I thought they made it pretty obvious from the start for anyone paying attention and didn't belabor the final, "just in case you shitheads missed this" close-up shot.
Really? So blind people often look through scopes to survey a target? Yea. Don't think so. It was a "twist" ending and a very bad one.
So you missed every fight scene in the film looking like it came out of a Zatoichi film, the fact that he never shot at someone til they shot first, the opening sequence where he doesn't shoot the cat til he hears it meow, the myriad references to his other senses such as "the advantage of no soap is you can SMELL a thief coming", him sensing the vibrations in the road, him not noticing the old couple were cannibals until he HEARD the teapot ratting on the saucer, and the fact that the title of the film is a reference to a character in the Bible who is blind?

I'd give it another viewing, Eli was blind, they evidenced it well throughout, but they gave it authenticity by having Eli, as a character, do his best to conceal his blindness, not to the audience, but to the world at large. That is not a twist, it is good storytelling. A twist is a cheap plot gimmick to make shitheads think they've just watched something deep. Case in point: The Illusionist, The Usual Suspects, anything M. Night ever did, and so on and so forth.
my vocabulary skills is above you.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

I hate it when Anton Yelchin is cast in a movie.

<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Yonmanc »

I hate it when a movie is referred to as a feel good movie. They make me feed bad,

And when a film is referred to as a romantic comedy. they're not funny. Ever.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I hate it when a preview for a movie has a current top-40 pop song playing throughout it. It's a mark that the movie is going to be terrible.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Taco-Hero
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Taco-Hero »

This thread reminds me of this.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Aonaran wrote:That is not a twist, it is good storytelling.
I concur. I also liked Book of Eli and thought it was a 'good twist' in the sense, that it should've been obvious had I been paying more attention. And the so called 'clues' got quite obvious towards the end.

And another thing: people aren't just completely blind or have a perfect eyesight. There are variations: Eli could've been 75 % blind, for example. He could've seen different shades and some foggy forms, but couldn't read normal text etc.
Taco-Hero
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Taco-Hero »

Burning Oasis
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Burning Oasis »

^^^^^^^
This.
-----------------------------------------------------------Has anyone ever been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Aonaran wrote:
Wolfman Walt wrote:
So you missed every fight scene in the film looking like it came out of a Zatoichi film, the fact that he never shot at someone til they shot first, the opening sequence where he doesn't shoot the cat til he hears it meow, the myriad references to his other senses such as "the advantage of no soap is you can SMELL a thief coming", him sensing the vibrations in the road, him not noticing the old couple were cannibals until he HEARD the teapot ratting on the saucer, and the fact that the title of the film is a reference to a character in the Bible who is blind?

I'd give it another viewing, Eli was blind, they evidenced it well throughout, but they gave it authenticity by having Eli, as a character, do his best to conceal his blindness, not to the audience, but to the world at large. That is not a twist, it is good storytelling. A twist is a cheap plot gimmick to make shitheads think they've just watched something deep. Case in point: The Illusionist, The Usual Suspects, anything M. Night ever did, and so on and so forth.
K. Still thought it was a bad twist. Sorry you don't agree.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

i hate it when a woman is kicked in the cunt because its ironic huh yeah well kiss your ass goodbye mister if you kick a woman in her g spot they die after 3 hours uh realism heard of it much much? uh
:chew:
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Megatron wrote:i hate it when a woman is kicked in the cunt because its ironic huh yeah well kiss your ass goodbye mister if you kick a woman in her g spot they die after 3 hours uh realism heard of it much much? uh
Groin kicks are serious. Ban them :che:
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

all you bloody gun freaks,