What cha think guys

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.

Good?

Its alright
40%
No
20%
Yes tis a good thing indeed
40%

Total votes: 5

hat_man99
Bombastic Mullet
Bombastic Mullet

What cha think guys

Post by hat_man99 »

This is my debate part ive written for school about harvesting stem cells from foetuses for research, well anyway read on and tell me what you think about it. Oh yeah im doing the second speech for the debate so the real info should have already been spoken.

Ahem the speech

As already has been heard from my partner here, stem cells can cure many a condition. This is because they have no base, that is to say they’re not programmed yet. They could be anything we desired them to be; it could cure anything, even regenerate nerves in the brain, and that is to say brain cells. These are one of the only sets of cells in the body that don’t replicate, if you lose some, there gone. But with research and application, these could be restored. Imagine Eliminating Parkinson’s disease; imagine a world where you could grow old and still stay sharp, a world where no longer would we lose the best in the field to time. Other things could be cured instantly if only we had the ability to gather and research these stem cells properly. But we do from foetuses, grown in a lab and used to help the research into this, barely scratched surface.

Sure you think, this would be good, but its murder. How can I sit by and let a foetus who hasn’t even taken a breath be denied life for someone who has a family, who has friends, who is giving so much to our community, who even could be our family or friend. Maybe you couldn’t stand it, you would go up in flames at the subject, but just think, the food you eat, the insects you kill, and I use the word kill. They have a life, a place in this world, but you would kill them without thinking about it. Its hypocritical I think, to kill so many things and then get angry about harvesting something that could help us all, when you brutally harm these creatures and don’t even look back when we end the life of the yet unborn, the yet undeveloped, in a clean, painless way. Think about this, now. It seems foolish does it not?

Maybe its religion maybe in it, it says though shall not murder? Sounds familiar I bet, doesn’t it. Well let’s think about this a second, a religion that has killed maybe millions in its belief that the infidels must not life, that what they have is god properly and it’s we who shall take it and use it for him. Ha don’t make me laugh, religion can’t take the high ground with science, you’ve been murdering and killing and abusing things for hundreds of years, science has been bringing many things to us, without science we’d still be living in huts and burn each other and kill each other, for its gods will apparently. What has a belief in a god got us, murder and hate of each other?

Now I’m not here today to put down the other side as it may seem to some but it seems that what we are doing is far more beneficial for society as a whole. Cures for diseases, injuries and disabilities are what we are to gain for this. The moral ground we step has been trodden down by the same people who preach to us about it, except we try to step lightly in this matter.

:chick:
"Banned in 2 posts" :salute:
Subhuman wrote:A guy ripping open his anus, a man in chaps getting fucked by a horse, and a girl spewing enema all over her face in a bathtub are okay, but a 15 year-old's cock is off-limits. Only on DAC.
King of Creation wrote: Aaannnnnnnnd to the wasteland :salute:
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

just show them that South Park Episode with Christopher Reeve ffs
hat_man99
Bombastic Mullet
Bombastic Mullet

Post by hat_man99 »

I want to but its a SPEAKING DEBATE stupid, no video evidence is allowed in this debate for you info. >:(

Though it would sway many a class mate, also the league of super bestest freinds would prove that...... no wait thats just funny. :giggle:
Subhuman wrote:A guy ripping open his anus, a man in chaps getting fucked by a horse, and a girl spewing enema all over her face in a bathtub are okay, but a 15 year-old's cock is off-limits. Only on DAC.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

then get yourself a baby and suck it out during the speech
hat_man99
Bombastic Mullet
Bombastic Mullet

Post by hat_man99 »

Hmmmm sweet stem cells. :dribble:
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Sounds pretty fun to me, like
"Und nun, meine Damen und Herren, I will show you how it's done *sucks out babydoll with red jelly in it, or something*
vx trauma
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by vx trauma »

take huge syringe with STEM written on it. suck out neongreen STEMS out of baby. shout 'god is dead hail stems, hail!'
Please Kill Yourself So I Can Rock
Subhuman
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Subhuman »

You overuse the phrase "that is to say". That is to say, you're over-explaining some things at the beginning. Also, the part about religion is iffy. Religion should be kept out of debates anyway, because no matter how carefully you choose your words, you're still going to offend someone. But going on about how religion is responsible for so many deaths, and how "you’ve been murdering and killing and abusing things for hundreds of years" is risky, to say the least. You'd be better served by a blanket statement like "Religion has no place in science" or whatever, or just avoid the religion angle entirely. You were on the right track with the "we kill animals for food" bit.

Also, "Ha, don't make me laugh" will sound awkward and stilted. Don't say it.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Kashluk rip-off wrote:Its hypocritical I think
Now you sound insecure.
Now I’m not here today to put down the other side
Bullshit.

The speech part is OK, but it's important to take notes to tackle the opponent in the discussion part(assuming you have one after the speeches). That's where the battle is fought out. You want to write down everything that even in the slightest sounds false. Interrupt, interrupt and interrupt. That makes you one tough motherfucker to debate with.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Alternatively just punch your opponents in the guts or wherever you like
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

*laughs*

That was . . . wonderful.

Identity escapism ? Tears and WONDERFUL. :drunk:
vendetta
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by vendetta »

Like Sub said, drop the part on religion. It's biased, arguable and queer. What's the point of your side of the debate? That because we kill so many things, harvesting human cells should be allowed?

If that is so, maybe you should bring about the subject of "tissue engineering" and "cloning".
Lynxer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Lynxer »

It's impossible to rationally discuss the veracity of science with people that don't need proof to be convinced and will adhere to their belief in spite of provided evidence of it's fallibility.

Religious peeps have it easy. All they need to do is dust off a book.
Sometimes an atomic weapon is just an atomic weapon, ja?
Jesus Christ
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Jesus Christ »

And a fine book at that...
I have returned! (again)
FIGHT ME!
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Writing of bias . . . :drunk:
Subhuman

Post by Subhuman »

It's an okay book. A little overblown at times, but good plot and character development.

He dies in the end, by the way.
hat_man99
Bombastic Mullet
Bombastic Mullet

Post by hat_man99 »

Subhuman wrote:It's an okay book. A little overblown at times, but good plot and character development.

He dies in the end, by the way.
Great no point in me reading it now

Anyway ill take out the part about religion, and update it a bit give me half a mo.
Lunchmeat
Strider
Strider

Post by Lunchmeat »

I didn't read it but I hate it.
hat_man99
Bombastic Mullet
Bombastic Mullet

Post by hat_man99 »

VasikkA wrote:
The speech part is OK, but it's important to take notes to tackle the opponent in the discussion part(assuming you have one after the speeches). That's where the battle is fought out. You want to write down everything that even in the slightest sounds false. Interrupt, interrupt and interrupt. That makes you one tough motherfucker to debate with.
Maybe, but we get a 5 minute brake at the end to prepare a final speech for each side, so i dunno i might interrupt, but then again these are my freinds and the teaher could frown upon speaking when others are.

Heres the revised edition.

As already has been heard from my partner here, stem cells can cure many a condition. Because they are blank slates, able to be anything. They could be anything we desired them to be; it could cure anything, even regenerate nerves in the brain. These are one of the only sets of cells in the body that don’t replicate, if you lose some, there gone. But with research and application, these could be restored. Imagine Eliminating Parkinson’s disease; imagine a world where you could grow old and still stay sharp, a world where no longer would we lose the best in the field to time. Other things could be cured instantly if only we had the ability to gather and research these stem cells properly. But we do from foetuses, grown in a lab and used to help the research into this, barely scratched surface.

Sure you think, this would be good, but its murder. How can I sit by and let a foetus who hasn’t even taken a breath be denied life for someone who has a family, who has friends, who is giving so much to our community, who even could be our family or friend. Maybe you couldn’t stand it, you would go up in flames at the subject, but just think, the food you eat, the insects you kill, and I use the word kill. They have a life, a place in this world, but you would kill them without thinking about it. Now think, to kill so many things and then get angry about harvesting something that could help us all, when you brutally harm these creatures and don’t even look back when we end the life of the yet unborn, the yet undeveloped, in a clean, painless way. Think about this, now. It seems foolish does it not?

There is another method also for getting stem cells, from adult bone marrow. The bone marrow you see produces the red blood cells for the body and some other cells I won’t get into here. They seem to replicate indefinitely as they produce red blood cells for all your life. But you can’t do many things with these, at least not as many or as well as with new stem cells. This is why we need to do research in newly formed stem cells, which can change into many diverse cells. I have one such story here of stem *hand out story to crowd*. This man would have had to have a bone graph. This other procedure involved taking a chunk of bone out of his pelvis and graphing it into the damaged area. A quite painful and time consuming experience this experience would have been. But because of stem cells harvested from his bone marrow, he avoided it and is now on the road to recovery much quicker then if he would have if he had the bone graph.

:chick:
Fa11lloutfan_15
Strider
Strider

Post by Fa11lloutfan_15 »

Anyone who has ever used the expression "our community" should be fucking hanged.
Our Host!