Anarchy Online free 1 year trial

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
LlamaGod
U R Ded Faget
U R Ded Faget

Post by LlamaGod »

Anarchy Online is only good if you have the expansions, so the free trial is pretty shit.

But personally, if you're going for a free MMORPG, i'd just download Ultima Online somewhere and play on free shards.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Yeah, and the hit on a muppet and become god.
Ortchel
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Ortchel »

Cool, I'll try it out. Definitely a clever gimmick, doubt it'll work though judging from how this game has been recieved.
Ortchel
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Ortchel »

My level 6 Adventurer.

I'm enjoying the game so far, didn't think I would. Though I don't like all the 'technology' and playing without it is proving to be a challenge.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Well it gets a lot better if you have buds around to play with. But it's still pretty shit.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I'm running around on there under the name "Wickedsick."

Ortchel, why does your level 6 guy have such shitty armor? You should get off the initial island and head over to Rome Blue.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Ortchel
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Ortchel »

Because it's all I could afford. I'm also intentionally un-ubar and like my helmet.

I'm off the island now anyway, everyone is buffing me and yelling at me for not using two weapons even though I can and for refusing to use tech.

It seems to make them angry, they really hate roleplaying. Doubt I'll play for much longer.
axelgreese
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by axelgreese »

ortchel wrote:[...]they really hate roleplaying.
This is the way of all mmog's, do not play them expecting a role playing experiance. You may certainly find them fun, but they are no more a roleplaying game then counter strike is.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

In counter-strike I roleplay as a loose-cannon alchoholic special forces commando who is blind. He also likes using the knife and jumping around after training in the mountains of Nepal for a decade after his wife left him and got custody of the kids. They then got blown up by terrorists, so I swore an oath to God that I shall avenge the deaths of all that had died from the hands of Al-Shadar!
:chew:
Ortchel
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Ortchel »

Yes, 'roleplayers' who make up elaborate and ridiculous stories are idiots, I agree, but I just want to play my character my way. Something which is more than possible to do in an MMO, it just makes the other players angry, which makes my experience worse.
axelgreese
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by axelgreese »

ortchel wrote:[...]it just makes the other players angry, which makes my experience worse.
How are you making them "angry". What, are you playing a priest who won't heal?
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Something that appeals to me about WoW is the way Blizzard are enforcing the 'stay in character' thing. They don't allow dumb names, l33t speak is banned (i think), etc. I am tempted to buy that game - my first MMORPG :|
Ortchel
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Ortchel »

Believe me, I know, it doesn't make any sense to me either. For example: they would give me 'advice', like I mentioned above about using two swords vs. one and I would explain to them my reason, which upset them and they would question and lecture me.

"but if uy dont use tech ur gunna be gimped big time'

'stop aksing questens about skills if ur jus gunna not use tehm'

'its just a gaem lol'

It would appear that most players just can't get their heads around why anyone would intentionally handicap themselves for the sake of 'roleplaying'. I had the same experience in Star Wars Galaxies when I refused to use the uber armor for the sake of the license, since in the movies everyone didn't walk around in red composite armor. It's not pragmatic and thus alien to them.

To answer your question, no, I was an adventurer and wanted to rely on my characters physical and social skills over his ability to hack into 'the grid' and glow like a microwave all the time.
Something that appeals to me about WoW is the way Blizzard are enforcing the 'stay in character' thing. They don't allow dumb names, l33t speak is banned (i think), etc. I am tempted to buy that game - my first MMORPG
That aspect appealed to me too, but I can't stand the visual style. I'm praying for EQ2 this Christmas, as uncool as it is to admit that.
Last edited by Ortchel on Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Artkill
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Artkill »

it's a good thing i posted this or there might be some bored kids
From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs.
Ortchel
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Ortchel »

Yes, thank you. It's given me something to rant about if nothing else.
axelgreese
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by axelgreese »

Mr. Teatime wrote:Something that appeals to me about WoW is the way Blizzard are enforcing the 'stay in character' thing.
Haha, that's funny. You poor fool.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

axelgreese wrote:
Mr. Teatime wrote:Something that appeals to me about WoW is the way Blizzard are enforcing the 'stay in character' thing.
Haha, that's funny. You poor fool.
I didn't say I was going to buy it. But I think it's better than the way MMORPGs are usually done.
axelgreese
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by axelgreese »

Mr. Teatime wrote:I didn't say I was going to buy it. But I think it's better than the way MMORPGs are usually done.
I couldn't care less if you buy it but you thinking they want people to "stay in character" is laughable.
Ortchel
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Ortchel »

Any game that outlaws l33t speech is on the right track.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Well, as I said earlier, it really depends if you can get to hang around with the right crowd. And it seems that to all the MMORPG-ers the levels you have are directly comparable to the size of your penis: I don't get any fucked up 'advice' any more since I got to level 8. Yes, on the noob island. And it was actually fun - much funnier than it has been so far - because I got a couple of friends (I met them while playing AO and made friends) to play with me, so leveling up was easier and I had some reasonable people to chat with.

If anyone started going "u think ur tuff or wath=?" all it would take was to tell your level/meleeDMG/meleeAC and give them a big portion of shut the fuck up, I'm trying to enjoy my game here to make them leave you alone.

Ach... I guess I must change my previous opinion about this game. It *can* be pretty good at times, actually. Now if I only could get all the way up to level 14 and get my hands on those pretty pieces of armor :P
Our Host!