1950's Florida?

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

1950's Florida?

Post by PaladinHeart »

Im wondering if anyone knows of any kind of show or such that might reflect what kind of styles and such a Fallouty Florida might be like?

Actually, I would like for my campaign to take place on a large piece of land that just barely touches the coastline somewhere in florida. (maybe 1 to 2 inches of water on the map). Can someone make some sorta map like that for me? If not, or if its too much trouble I can just go with the regular FOT map.

Anyway, im just mainly curious if anyone knows of any good references to Florida style, like what it might be in Fallout. Speech, style, clothing, etc..

Anyone know of a good campaign I can play? Still can't get past the "Kill the Trader so he don't spill our secrets" mission on hardest/tough guy. Need something else fallouty :) I actually haven't played any FOT campaigns, so anything will be good.

Please avoid double-posting. ;) -- OTB
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Re: 1950's Florida?

Post by OnTheBounce »

[TBC]-PaladinHeart wrote:Anyway, im just mainly curious if anyone knows of any good references to Florida style, like what it might be in Fallout. Speech, style, clothing, etc..
I think the old TV series Flipper was set in Florida. It certainly has that "golly shucks" feel that you'd be looking for.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Senor Deluxe
Respected
Respected

Post by Senor Deluxe »

You mean you want a world map image? If that´s right, I´d want to try, I think I might come up with something nice using terragen...

And when I hear Florida and 50s I think you´ll need a bar called "Pink Flamingo" and some Surf-Hotel, let me know if you´d like to include something like this and need tiles for it...

Everyone else: you all might be wondering where those tiles are, I´ve promised. Well, some are done, but I had less time than expected due to my new job, then I had to play the Lionheart demo, and finally I had to deal with a lot of frustration caused by some animated tiles I´ve been trying to make.

The problem here is, that I don´t know how to keep the color palette indexed (so it´s the same for every frame), while adding an alpha layer. "Indexed" mode doesn´t support alpha layers and if I re-convert it to RGB to add an alpha layer, it somehow does not keep the palette. Working with Photoshop 6.0, btw. I browsed some older posts by Red!, but that did not help. Maybe someone has already figured out, how this works? It´s quite annyoing having made all the images for all the frames and not being able to actually use it, so any help would be deeply appreciated.
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Unless you set it around Cape Canaveral which isn't 50's but 60's. Close though.
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

RE

Post by PaladinHeart »

Err.. Im not really sure. When year was the Fallout games suppose to take a large influence from? I thought it was the 50's. But not sure.

And yes, I'll take any tiles that are Florida ish. Even Mexicana stuff. Hey, they finally made it across the border. Where do you think they wanted to go eh?

Just lemme know where I can get them and I will go d/l them like mad. Or you can send me a zip file at msa@optidynamic.com

As for the map, yes please make one for me :) Preferably with a small section of ocean. I would like it to be as far north as possible. This way it can be a mix of cultures and styles, clustered near the Ocean. I would like for it to be big too. At least the size of the original FOT map (lots of unused space). Although I can't say I won't use it all. Well I probably won't use it all, but you'd better believe I will try :)

Also, can you make a shop sign named KKK-Mart? I want to do some funny stuff with that.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Re: RE

Post by OnTheBounce »

[TBC]-PaladinHeart wrote:When year was the Fallout games suppose to take a large influence from? I thought it was the 50's. But not sure.
It's not just a '50s style, TBCPH, but rather a "retro-futuristic" '50s style. Basically, FO is the world as pulp sci-fi writers in the '50s envisioned how the world would become...w/a nice, fat layer of nuclear devastation on top of it all. :D
[TBC]-PaladinHeart wrote:Also, can you make a shop sign named KKK-Mart?
Erm...I take it they will specialize in bedding?

OTB
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Post by PaladinHeart »

OnTheBounce wrote:
[TBC]-PaladinHeart wrote:When year was the Fallout games suppose to take a large influence from? I thought it was the 50's. But not sure.
It's not just a '50s style, TBCPH, but rather a "retro-futuristic" '50s style. Basically, FO is the world as pulp sci-fi writers in the '50s envisioned how the world would become...w/a nice, fat layer of nuclear devastation on top of it all. :D
[TBC]-PaladinHeart wrote:Also, can you make a shop sign named KKK-Mart?
Erm...I take it they will specialize in bedding?

OTB
"swell guy in a can" comes to mind. Purely comical racist stuff, retro FO style :p . Meant to be more comical than racist. The kind of things you might expect to find in a KKK shop. The thought came to mind today when I went to K-Mart.

And in case anyone asks, im not racist. and I despise the KKK. But they're good for laughs. Maybe I'll even have some skinheads & nazis around to kill.
Senor Deluxe
Respected
Respected

Post by Senor Deluxe »

I´ll start with the worldmap as soon as you tell me what area EXACTLY should be covered (either send me an image or give me towns/cities or landmarks as cornerpoints) and what resolution it should have.

I´d stay away from that racist stuff. If you want to have that sort of thing and want to keep it fallouty stick with the humans vs. ghouls/mutants discrimination. Anything else might get difficult to explain.
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Btw, SD, I was thinking, I couldn't find any good pics of the tiles I wanted, but could you make some tiles for the Arroyo temple of the RPG's? Would be good for a sideproject of mine.

How do you plan on making that map btw? A render or draw it?(I'm using pics myself of what I can't say though, but I find it quite fallouty)
Senor Deluxe
Respected
Respected

Post by Senor Deluxe »

Well, um, temple of trials...that would be REALLY a lot of work and there´s still so much I haven´t done yet, for example the rounded corners I promised. Trying to be realistic I don´t think I can do it any time soon. I´ve got a lot of half-finished stuff on my HD, and i guess, I´ll try to finish that first. After all, I´m not a student anymore, so I got definitely less time for tile-making than I wish I had... :(

About the world map: I´ve been trying around with terragen and bryce and I think I´d render it, but then continue to work on it with photoshop and mix it with other textures to get away from that ultrarealistic/ superclean/ computergenerated look...

Anyone else would be interested in that? OTB, maybe?
Evil Natured Robot
Respected
Respected

Post by Evil Natured Robot »

And in case anyone asks, im not racist. and I despise the KKK. But they're good for laughs. Maybe I'll even have some skinheads & nazis around to kill.
What do you mean? Are you saying that backwoods white trash claiming superiority is ironically hilarious in some way? However could that be??? ;)
I'll get you, Yoshimi.
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

RE:

Post by PaladinHeart »

About the map: No place/places in particular. Just need a tiny bit of ocean on it. Maybe I can find a map and figure out what section I need and send you.

Edit: I just took a look at a map. You know that little bit of ocean that comes up just under Tallahassee (that a river?)? I would like for that to just be barely on the map. If you could, about 20 sector's worth of ocean would be good. Then a big expanse of land beyond that. The map can be more verticle than horizontal if that's what it takes to get it like that.

But whatever you can do will be fine. My campaign world isn't set in stone so I can pretty much shape it to fit the map.

I think the KKK could play a part in my campaign world. After all, none of the main characters are going to be white, so they would definitely come into conflict :) Racial conflict will come into play in many areas, but not to the point of overdoing it.

Racists make for some interesting enemies to do. Not to mention all the junk I can leave lying around for the player to find and sell. Funny stuff a post apocalyptic racist might have.

Anyway im hoping it will come out more comical than racist. And it won't be centered around african americans.

Heck, I might even pull a BIG funny. What if all the KKK of the Post Apocalyptic Future are black? Hmm.. Maybe I'll even throw in a White Panther group ;)
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Senor Deluxe wrote:Anyone else would be interested in [SD's World Map suggestion]? OTB, maybe?
Thanks, but I'm using the FO world map for IOOI. Appreciate the offer, though. :)

OTB
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Senor Deluxe wrote:Well, um, temple of trials...that would be REALLY a lot of work and there´s still so much I haven´t done yet, for example the rounded corners I promised. Trying to be realistic I don´t think I can do it any time soon. I´ve got a lot of half-finished stuff on my HD, and i guess, I´ll try to finish that first. After all, I´m not a student anymore, so I got definitely less time for tile-making than I wish I had... :(

About the world map: I´ve been trying around with terragen and bryce and I think I´d render it, but then continue to work on it with photoshop and mix it with other textures to get away from that ultrarealistic/ superclean/ computergenerated look...

Anyone else would be interested in that? OTB, maybe?
For Arroyo's Temple, no real hurry, I can do without it and transfer it for when(if) it's done. I wanted to try it myself but I'd have to really be into it, and I couldn't do other stuff I wanted, so I abandoned that thought. The most wanted part would be the external btw, if-when you'll do it.

Bryce is a good program. I made some artwork with it for waitscreens(like the one you see in my site) I think terragen would be probably good for land tiles, once I figure out the way to make them properly.
Our Host!