Increasing Luck.

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Radoteur
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Increasing Luck.

Post by Radoteur »

I am aware that one could increase Luck by one with Chuck, and maybe even two, if one plays their cards right, but i really want to push it.
Can I get +3 Luck? I'm assuming not, but it doesn't hurt asking.
Of course, you could get angry at me and refuse to read anything i ever write again, and flame me for the rest of my life.

Luck up with Chuck.
Slider
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Slider »

I think you can increase your luck only two times but its been awhile since I last played with a low luck character.
Warlord
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Warlord »

How can you increase your luck? I don't know this one. :?:
- May the blood of thine enemies stain the ground -
Slider
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Slider »

There is a guy in the boneyard that is in the southeast part of the map that can improve your luck. He is in a tent and ask to see your future or something like that.
Rat Keeng
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Rat Keeng »

Actually he reads Tarot cards. Just keep asking him to show you your future, and he'll turn the card of lady luck or something similar and you'll get the bonus.
Tank
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Tank »

All I've ever gotten is +1 LK... How're you supposed to get +2?
The Unwashed Village- Abandon ye sanity!

Live with Honor
Fight for Honor
Die with Honor

Let not Glory blind Thee
Slider
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Slider »

Keep on asking, I think you get three chances to ask him to read the carda and if you get the right card you get a bonus to luck.
Tank
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Tank »

Hmm, I didn't know that... I've gotta try it the next time i play!

Live with Honor
Fight for Honor
Die with Honor

Let not Glory blind Thee
Rat Keeng
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Rat Keeng »

Tank wrote:All I've ever gotten is +1 LK... How're you supposed to get +2?
I'd very much like to know that too, all i ever managed to get was +1. How do you get +2, let alone +3 (if you can actually get this :? )
Radoteur
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Radoteur »

I only got +2.
You need to get the Fool's card.
There are (i think) 2 different options to get him to read cards. One of them is reuseable and one of them will go away after 1 use. Use the reusable one until you get the fool's card. Then use the other option to get him to read yet another card.
I don't think the cards are random, i tried 5 times. It is always the same 3 cards in same order.

Just save. Keep trying, that's what i did.
Tank
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Tank »

This sounds like fun...

runs Fallout and goes to Adytown<

Live with Honor
Fight for Honor
Die with Honor

Let not Glory blind Thee
Sirgalahadwizard
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Sirgalahadwizard »

If you only get three chances... best to save the game first so that if you fail you can always try again.

Unfortunatly, there are no medical procedures designed to increase your luck (though I suspect that a luck-enhancing procedure would look more like people trying to cast spells on you).

I never tried that one guy in adytum for the luck thing, I always figured he'd either draw the radio tower (signifying the military base), or the man with the sceptre (signifying the master)... thx for the tip.

Luck is very important in Fallout - much moreso than in fallout tactics. If you have a luck of 2, it seems like every other minigun blast you take from super mutants is a critical hit (negating your power armor's awesome damage threshold value).

-----
I was wondering if I could get your guys' input on something.

As you probably dont know, im making a post apocalyptic computerized roleplaying game like fallout - up til now it's been called "Aftermath" (not to be confused with another game from the 80's).

The luck stat will not be one that you can mess around with - but rather a derived stat. My current formula is this:

[(Endurance/2 + Charisma/2)) - 6] + (Random number inbetween 0 and 1) X 10

(The above formula is also modified to return a zero for the first set of brackets if the number is negative, and the end result is a non-decimal integer with a minimum value of 1.)

The reasoning behind it is that the fates dont favor super-characters built for war... In my system, endurance and charisma are the two stats that would probably be penalized to make a super character (ie, a walking tank) - because it's not endurance that gives you hit points, and someone would probably reduce their charisma to increase their agility or something.

It does allow for a luck value up to 14 (if you got a 10 on both endurance and charisma and got a good random roll) - very exceptional luck, and it's intentional. Characters might be able to change their luck based on good or bad things they do later on (ie, a certain amount of reputation already accumulated by the time they reach a certain situation X gives them +1 luck)... and luck wont be viewable by the player except under special circumstances.

So, do you guys think that it's a good formula with only a problem or two, or that it needs to go back to the drawing board?
Sirgalahadwizard
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

If you only get three chances... best to save the game first so that if you fail you can always try again.

Unfortunatly, there are no medical procedures designed to increase your luck (though I suspect that a luck-enhancing procedure would look more like people trying to cast spells on you).

I never tried that one guy in adytum for the luck thing, I always figured he'd either draw the radio tower (signifying the military base), or the man with the sceptre (signifying the master)... thx for the tip.

Luck is very important in Fallout - much moreso than in fallout tactics. If you have a luck of 2, it seems like every other minigun blast you take from super mutants is a critical hit (negating your power armor's awesome damage threshold value).

-----

As you probably dont know, im making a post apocalyptic computerized roleplaying game like fallout - up til now it's been called "Aftermath" (not to be confused with another game from the 80's).

The luck stat will not be one that you can mess around with - but rather a derived stat. My current formula is this:

[(Endurance/2 + Charisma/2)) - 6] + (Random number inbetween 0 and 1) X 10

(The above formula is also modified to return a zero for the first set of brackets if the number is negative, and the end result is a non-decimal integer with a minimum value of 1.)

The reasoning behind it is that the fates dont favor super-characters built for war... In my system, endurance and charisma are the two stats that would probably be penalized to make a super character (ie, a walking tank) - because it's not endurance that gives you hit points, and someone would probably reduce their charisma to increase their agility or something.

It does allow for a luck value up to 14 (if you got a 10 on both endurance and charisma and got a good random roll) - very exceptional luck, and it's intentional. Characters might be able to change their luck based on good or bad things they do later on (ie, a certain amount of reputation already accumulated by the time they reach a certain situation X gives them +1 luck)... and luck wont be viewable by the player except under special circumstances.

So, do you guys think that it's a good formula with only a problem or two, or that it needs to go back to the drawing board?
Sirgalahadwizard
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

-----

((Endurance/2 + Charisma/2)) - 6) + (Random number inbetween 0 and 1) X 10

Sirgalahadwizard
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Sirgalahadwizard
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Unfortunatly, there are no medical procedures designed to increase your luck (though I suspect that a luck enhancing procedure would look more like people trying to cast spells).

Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

Actually, Galahad, every time I go there, I get the cards in the samne order. Even when he shows the military base, I still get the luck. I think you always get the luck, no matter what. I might have to go there with a Luck 1 character, jut to make sure.

Heh, a luck raising surgery would have the potential of being pretty funny. For some reason, luck is worth very little in FOT.
Radoteur
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Radoteur »

In my experience i always got two cards, then the fool's card.
I did this like 4 times and it was always the same.

I don't think the +2 luck trick was intentional.
I decided to search around to see if anyone else found it, and i found someone put it into their walkthrough.
I remembered the bug from last time i played the game, a few years back.
Heck, maybe i read the walkthough... I really don't remember.
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

Radoteur wrote:I don't think the +2 luck trick was intentional.
I don't either. But hey, I ain't complaining! :D It is probably just a bug.
Radoteur
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Radoteur »

I think if you ask 3 times he will automatically give the fool's card. It isn't random.
There are two different options to make Chuck draw cards.
One of them will go away after one use. Don't use this one until you use the reusable one 3 times.
This may sound complexcated, but just try.
Our Host!