Weapon Question

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
grapedog
SDF!
SDF!

Weapon Question

Post by grapedog »

Well, for the first time I'm going to play a melee based character and I was just curious what you would choose for a weapon. Most responses would probably be the Super Sledge or the Power Fist, but wanted to ask just in case. Was looking for a nice knife type weapon possibly if there is one that can put up numbers close to the power fist and super sledge.

Power fist is an unarmed item correct? Also, first time trying melee, I was at a 90% skill in melee by level 2. There are at least 2, and I think 3 people between just Aroyo and Klamanth that will teach you melee/unarmed skills which is pretty nice. I'm also going with sneak as a tagged skill, I want to try and sneak around and kill...would the sledge still be the most damaging, especially if going for one shot kills?
Bishop
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Bishop »

Hmm...one question. Did you succeed in sneaking after your 1st kill?? Didn't the people turn hostile?? :?
To the soul's desire
the body listens
What the flesh requires
keeps the heart imprisoned
What the spirit seeks the mind will follow
When the body speaks all else is hollow
Warlord
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Warlord »

I lIke Ripper or the Wakizashi Blade.
- May the blood of thine enemies stain the ground -
Rat Keeng
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Rat Keeng »

A good knife weapon is the "Little Jesus". Course you have to kill him to get it. The Wakizashi blade can be hard to get a hold of, since it's only carried by Yakuza (as far as i know). If you travel around outside Reno, when you find some Yakuza, preferably use some Psycho to max your damage resistance then kill them and take their blades.
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

Never had much toruble with them... Just aim for the eyes!
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

If you want to use ammo with your "unarmed/melee"-weapons:

- Mega Power Fist
- Ripper

If you appriciate normal tough melee weapons:

- Super Sledge
- Wakizashi blade
- Little Jesus-knife

I like to use Wakizashis' as my NPC's backup melee weapons in case they drop/break their main guns. And of course Super Sledge for Sulik, because he does heavenly damage with it!
Blarg
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Blarg »

Power fist is an unarmed item correct?
The Power Fist uses Unarmed skill.

The Louisville Slugger(baseball bat) is available if you do some stuff for Mrs. Wright in New Reno. A walkthrough should have the details. It does respectable damage. If memory serves, it costs 1 less AP to use than other melee weapons.
I'm not insane, I'm just misunderstood. Unless I misunderstood the meaning of "insane".
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Well, "respectable", might not be the word... "Acceptable" serves a bit better ;)
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

Kashluk wrote:Well, "respectable", might not be the word... "Acceptable" serves a bit better ;)
Well, at the time I usally have the chance of getting it, it does do decent damage. But, acceptable is probably the best word for it. Considering that by the time you really get into doing jobs for the families, you'll have the money for a Super Sledge. Of course, saying that reminds me of how you can just find any super powerful weapon anywhere in FO2, thereby making me depressed. :)

But you gotta remember, Kashluk, the point of the Louisville Slugger isn't the technical stuff like damage! Nothing is more fun then beating some one over the with a baseball bat! Effective? Maybe not. Fulfilling? Hell yes. ;)
This is Gonna Hurt
Respected
Respected

Post by This is Gonna Hurt »

Unarmed is nice simply because you can kill the dunton brothers and get a set of spiked knuckles that'll last you until you get a power fist in broken hills (also for free)...and that power fist you can upgrade to the ultimate version for nothing...so essentially you never have to spend anything for weaponry for your unarmed character save for ammo for the fist.

I think the single best damage ratio on a melee weapon I've seen was on the super cattle prod. It may be bugged, but it does a TON of damage, and electrical damage to boot, so power armor won't defend against it well. The super sledge is your single best melee option for a weapon that doesn't use a power supply, though.

And I'd reccomend definitely picking up something like throwing for a melee character. Softening up a crowd with a couple of plasma grenades would do wonders later on. And you will almost definitely need some kind of ranged attack.
I'm not evil, I just like making things explode

"...It IS hard to speak with six inches of knife sticking out of your face. They mostly just gurgle. And bleed." Black Mage
Sc0pE
Respected
Respected

Post by Sc0pE »

the ripper or the watashi blade or whatever are really good, and the super sledge of course...-it was so much better in FO, i was smashing holes into deathclaws...
hi-mag optical telescopic sights and 12.7mm fin tipped DU SLAP rounds... what more can you ask for... - go the eye critical!......... I quote the innocent villager
"BLLLLAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHH"
*drools*
amonshaw
SDF!
SDF!

Post by amonshaw »

Ahhh, I love firearms! :D
Amonshaw

Yeah, it's MY completely made up name.
Sc0pE
Respected
Respected

Post by Sc0pE »

yes firearms are better than melee,
of course!!! how can you dought ranged attacks??
hi-mag optical telescopic sights and 12.7mm fin tipped DU SLAP rounds... what more can you ask for... - go the eye critical!......... I quote the innocent villager
"BLLLLAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHH"
*drools*
Richy
Regular
Regular

Post by Richy »

yes, i too prefer ranged weapons, but if you get a beefy melee weapon with the slayer and silent death (would work for this guys sneaking character) perks, you can smash people in the eyes (which is bullshit when sneaking up BEHIND them i might add) for around 175 hp. 40-50 for the initial attack, +60 for the critical and a whopping 2x that if you strike em in the back with sneak! and let's not forget that melee costs jack shit AP....
Regular
Regular

Post by Richy »

yes, i too prefer ranged weapons, but if you get a beefy melee weapon with the slayer and silent death (would work for this guys sneaking character) perks, you can smash people in the eyes (which is bullshit when sneaking up BEHIND them i might add) for around 175 hp. 40-50 for the initial attack, +60 for the critical and a whopping 2x that if you strike em in the back with sneak! and let's not forget that melee costs jack shit AP....
Regular
Regular

Post by Richy »

ranged is better! muahahahahahha! 50x scope optical.......beefy rounds......DEATH! (generally)
Regular
Regular

Post by Richy »

ranged is better! muahahahahahha! 50x scope optical.......beefy rounds......DEATH! (generally)
Vault Veteran

Post by Jimbo san »

The little Jesus is KEWL!
So is the Wakizashi blade!
But! Martial! Arts! Are! Better!!!!!!!!!!!!
{I apologise, I came down with momentary exclamationitis}
Jimbo san
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Jimbo san »

The little Jesus is KEWL!
So is the Wakizashi blade!
But! Martial! Arts! Are! Better!!!!!!!!!!!!
{I apologise, I came down with momentary exclamationitis}
Our Host!