stupid fallout experiences............

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Flaser
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Flaser »

Franz_Schubert wrote:FO1 does indeed have that feature... I had the same problem. It took me about a year and a half to discover that feature.
Erm...5 years? Duh...and I thought I know the game all over....
"Wer nicht von dreitausend Jahren
Sich weißźRechenschaft zu geben,
Bleim im Dunkeln unerfahren
Mag von Tag zu Tage leben." - Johann Wolfgang Goethe

Hard Light Productions - Bringing Modders Together
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

Heh, same here.. Didn't know about that feature before reading this thread :drunk:
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

It's still sinking into my brain.
Harriers for the cup.
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

Damn, I was sure I'd get heckled for bringing that one up. Of course I probably won't remember it next time I play, until I'm 3/4 of the way finished. :bang: [/i]
fallout ranger
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by fallout ranger »

When I 'played through' fallout 1 for the first few times, I thought all you had to do was kill all the mutants in the military base. I knew nothing of the basement in the cathedral or the vats.
does this work
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Stevie D »

Cimmerian Nights wrote:In FO2 I didn't realize that when dead bodies stack on top of each other, and you try to loot them, there's arrows so you can cycle trhough them. It used to piss me of so much - trying to click some edge of a foot or hand to loot the body/bodies on the bottom, and never getting it. Years later I realized it by accident and was so pissed off. I don't think FO1 has this feature though.
I never knew about that!
CloudNineGT
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by CloudNineGT »

I once tried to perform the dermal implant operation on myself, and another time stood inside the bottom of that latrine leading to .. forgot name .. while they dynamite went off.
FrankHarrigan
The Unlucky SDF!
The Unlucky SDF!

Post by FrankHarrigan »

Stupidest thing? The first time i played Fallout (and a rpg). I was in the temple of trials, oh, look, a dumbass don't let me go through...die!!!. Ok, i can pass, so i enter the temple. How the hell i open this doors? Oh, clicking it. Lalalala, kill ant, kill radscorpios. What? Wanna fight with me and you will let me pass? All right. Opps, i kill you. Pity. I'll open this door. Nice video. Hey, why are all these people atacking me? i can't win, i will run. What is this green thinguie? damn, more people atacking me. Run, forest. i pass the bridge, another thinguie, this one is borwn. Another video, with an aparently jet adict men. What?! I just exited the game! Stupid game....
Subhuman
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Subhuman »

I read the manual cover to cover and I didn't know about that feature until just now.
Mad Max
Regular
Regular

Post by Mad Max »

It was a day like no other. I had turn my computer on and loaded my fallout 2 save I was driving around and then for some reason went to the encalve to see what to do. Something came over me and just had gotten compelled to kill this guy in the purple robes. Then stumbled through the mine field. I then transfered to the next part of the map and there those encalve soldiers were to talk. I guess I was rude and started a battle. They were armed with laser rifles and mini-guns and lots of nifty little trinkets. I on the other hand had a old mini-gun I got from a dead mutant and close to 123 stimpacks and about 89 health and unupgraded power armor. Thinking that the battle would be done in a matter of a couple turns these guard must of had to much to drink :drunk: . Yes every other shot missed or they dropped there guns. I was appalled by the combat the couple seconds turned to 3.2 or some hours and finally every one of those encalve soldiers were dead. The only thing that did lots of damage were the scientist and the robot turrets. Well it was weird but there was nothing left there. In an ironic turn I went to where the nuclear reactor plant was and contacted the enclave they said they were coming for me but I would of loved to said I killed alll your men and I am coming for you you pile of mutant brahmin poop but that must not had been coded into the game.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

I didn't get past the door you have to lockpick in the temple of trials
I was also rated 2.8 by the people of Vault City
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

I was wondering why MMRW's language level had dramatically dropped like this.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I recently started a game of FO1, and my first order of business after exploring Vault 15 was to wipe out Shady Sands, because I'm an asshole. Since I did it on a whim and my character was ill-suited for combat, it took several days worth of game time.

After killing most everyone and taking their stuff, I went scouting for another town. Along the way I was ambushed by some rather rough-looking people who didn't appreciate all the child killing I had done. I knocked out their leader - who was standing right on top of me - with a lucky shot to the chest. I immediately grabbed his combat armor and assault rifle, then began running away.

While not stupid per se, I think it's a little ridiculous to have such pimpin' gear when you're only a level 3 character.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Retlaw83 wrote:While not stupid per se, I think it's a little ridiculous to have such pimpin' gear when you're only a level 3 character.
If they bring the equipment, and you freakishly manage to kill them somehow - in a sense you deserve the loot. It should be difficult, but not impossible if you want the game to cater to varied ethical stances. Success against generally unfavourable odds should to some extent be rewarded. However, I suppose a tweak making the levels of the hunters gravitate towards your own, and perhaps a random probability to actually gain their items (ala Jagged Alliance) might be useful. Easier than revamping the A.I, no doubt. :drunk:
Kahgan
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Kahgan »

first time I played fallout: my brother told me to read lots of books, so I read lots of books --in the glow...and ztuuupid as I was, I had no more than one save slot in use...

also, I had not used any bombs in fallout before I played fallout2. As most people know, in fallout2 the bombs drop automatically after you use them, but not in fallout. So one time I was tinkering around in Necropolis and wondering why everything was so dead...I was bored so I thought it'd be phun to blow up some bombs... hooray...
BRING BACK CENTERED DAC!

REGIN* FOR KING OF NORWAY!

http://forum.nwsgames.net/index.php
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

in fallout2 the bombs drop automatically after you use them
They do?
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

I recall quite accurately suffering from laughing fits after exploding irritating NPCs with my character and a few charges of C4, and usually crashing immediately thereafter . . . Ah, the memories. :drunk:
madmax
SDF!
SDF!

Re: stupid fallout experiences............

Post by madmax »

fallout ranger wrote:So.................

Post your stupidest fallout 1/2 experience, I'll start off.

When I first got fallout, I had it in the jewel case, thus preventing me from having either manual. I played through the game without trouble, until V15. In the room with the lockers(the overseer's level) I was CORNERED by a mole rat. I had used every AP but one, so I couldn't do anything. I was ao new to it that I knew nothing of the "turn" button. I hadn't saved so I had to start a new game. I only wish the game was still that new to me.

That was my dumbest fallout experience. Yours?
my stupidest fallout 2 experience was. Getting the bad luck dog. but not knowing the dog was bad luck, after saving my best for out games on the file.
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

Kahgan wrote:first time I played fallout: my brother told me to read lots of books, so I read lots of books --in the glow...and ztuuupid as I was, I had no more than one save slot in use...
I think we've all had our share of Glow experiences involving too few save slots.

Kaaghan wrote:in fallout2 the bombs drop automatically after you use them
Stainless wrote:They do?
They don't.
Alexander
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Alexander »

For me it was in the caves beneath Trappertown in Klammath, I was down there killing rats with a spear or somesuch... when I entered a dead end and Sulik right behind me I was trapped! Not knowing that there was a button for making NPCs move I attacked him and he killed me! Luckily, this was in the beginning of the game, so allthough it was frustrating having to start from the beginning it wasn't that bad.
There are no 'knowns'. There are thing we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. So when we do the best we can and we pull all this information together, and we then say well that's basically what we see as the situation, that is really only the known knowns and the known unknowns. And each year, we discover a few more of those unknown unknowns.
Our Host!