Mod concept - anyone interested?

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Re: Mod concept - anyone interested?

Post by Retlaw83 »

Grey_Ghost wrote: After reading this thread I don't see this having anything to do with Fallout canon at all. Seems more to do with making them all the more real world like.
Just because I haven't talked about my specific plans to do that in this thread yet, what makes you think I'm not going to try and infuse Fallout canon?

As far as I'm concerned, weapons have always been abstract things in Fallout. But just by shuffling around the existing weapons and switching up the ammunition types - which is what I intend on doing - will make for a more enjoyable game experience. The only thing, in the end, that will be changed is the mission maps; they will be updated with new objectives, different weapons and more Fallouty things. Of course, new ammunition types will be added; the feel of scavenging things will be increased if you have ammunition used by very few guns.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

Whether you go for the generic weapon types of Fallout (ignore the majority of FO2 catalogue) or real world weapons, you should consider that most pre-war weapons available would be civilian, handguns (lets have some .38 and .22) and shotguns for home defence and hunting rifles of various calibers. Police issue (again) mainly handguns and shotguns, with a few military grade items in state police hqs etc.

Surviving military hardware would be vary scarce as military instillations and troop concentrations would of been prime targets. Surviving miltitary bases would have been mainly lower priority targets usually places that had older obsolete (or near obsolete) equipment.

Ammo for all would be scarce and extremely valuable.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
M92FS
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by M92FS »

MurPHy wrote:
Is it 6.5mm x 55mm Swedish , is it a rifle cartridge ?

can't find this rifle cartridge by Remington in Guns and Ammo 2004 Annual.
It is a rifle cartridge, guessing from the length of it. It could be one of thise newfangled "short-and-fat" cartridges. Those are gaining in popularity in the hunting world.

thks for the reply, the link didn't really say much about the 6.5mm x 55mm cartridge.
It's about *beep*in' time some backup got here! Quote by Paladin Solo. ( FOT )

You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Then who the hell else are you talkin' to? You talkin' to me? Well, I'm the only one here. Who do the fuck do you think you're talking to? Oh, yeah? Ok.

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload. ... ile_id=762
Grey_Ghost
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Re: Mod concept - anyone interested?

Post by Grey_Ghost »

Anonymous wrote:
Grey_Ghost wrote:There is no 5.56mm in FO, there is .223cal though.
You *do* know thats the same round, right?
That is why I typed it like that. Simple fact in Fallout is that it's just called .223cal.

TO:Retlaw83

Well your talking about M1's and M14's in your first post. Then you mention the AK-47, and I pointed out Fallout had an AK-112 which in the Fallout Universe was considered old before the bombs fell. The standard 10mm pistol from Fallout is a Colt 6520. If you want to take Fallout 1 as gospel then most weapons should be some theoretical future version of themselves.

The gun I find the most amusing in FOT is the H&K MP5 9mm, which is superior to the H&K MP9 10mm in Fallout 1&2. Most of the weapons in FOT have low AP costs and increased damage usually coupled with reduction of bullets fired in a burst.

Incase anyone gets the wrong idea, nothing I typed here or prior was meant negatively.
Tc63
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Tc63 »

Hey all.
M-16 : magazine capacity should be 30
the m16 in the game is the m16a1, as used in Nam, and did generally have a 20 round mag and the ability to fire on full auto.

Some people mentioned about the QM? in all my campaigns i have actually made random/special encounters the main focus. For this reason, the QM would "make" ammo, medikits and toolkits during the time you spent in random encounters by using random timer triggers. I also had ammo dumps and weapon dumps as random encounters with crates that had stuff in. The idea is you just have a bit of fun riding around trying to find new guns and enough ammo to survive whilst blasting 60 or so Zombies away. The fact that the weapons and are only picked up during random encounters means that each time you play it is totally different.

What i found whilst playing FOT is that as soon as you find a heavy MG, it becomes the only gun to be used. How about increasing the Burst cost to 6aps to represent thier bulkyness? also how about making most SMGs have 4 ap single shots and 4 ap burst shots too to represent thier greater flexibility over assault rifles, and to make them half usefull in the game! Same goes for pistols, how about getting rid of "triple" mode for most of them, and making each shot cost 3 aps? If you did all these you would have a much more realistic feel to say, storming a building. You wouldnt send heavies busting in cos they cant bring thier guns to bear so well, so you leave them outside covering whilst dedicated assault members with SMGs and Pistols etc storm in.

On a totally different topic, has anyone played about with the AI tables? i have been able to create a very realistic feel to stealth based missions, with guards searching bodies, percentage chances of raising alarms on finding bodies/traps, sneaking enimies who use cover to thier advantage and work together properly etc etc.

Im not sure if the enfield x3801 or whatever it is is supposed to be a Brit SA80 or not, but whatever, this gun, the GPMG and a LSW would make good one off additions simply because they are British and so have to be good! (can you tell where i come from?)

If you have reached this bit i dont blame you for being bored stiff, I always seem to waffle on
quietfanatic
Respected
Respected

Post by quietfanatic »

I haven't looked at the AI tables, but it sounds interesting. When I play the game on insane difficulty the AI is better, but so is the amount of damage. Ouch. It would be nice to some how improve the AI without getting killed by 9mm pistols.
Forgive my ignorance master.
DIE...die weak fool (cue Bozar death)
M92FS
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by M92FS »

Tc63 wrote:Hey all.
M-16 : magazine capacity should be 30
the m16 in the game is the m16a1, as used in Nam, and did generally have a 20 round mag and the ability to fire on full auto.

hmm... ya although it's a m-16a1 but the sprite shows a 30 rounds magazine, a 20 rounds magazine is straight and shorter than the 30 rounds magazine.

although my country military uses M-16a1 but 30 rounds magazine is a standard, I think 20 rounds magazines r obselete already.

What i found whilst playing FOT is that as soon as you find a heavy MG, it becomes the only gun to be used. How about increasing the Burst cost to 6aps to represent thier bulkyness? also how about making most SMGs have 4 ap single shots and 4 ap burst shots too to represent thier greater flexibility over assault rifles, and to make them half usefull in the game! Same goes for pistols, how about getting rid of "triple" mode for most of them, and making each shot cost 3 aps? If you did all these you would have a much more realistic feel to say, storming a building. You wouldnt send heavies busting in cos they cant bring thier guns to bear so well, so you leave them outside covering whilst dedicated assault members with SMGs and Pistols etc storm in.

for mi I dun think I wanna to increase the ap cost of MG. I had removed triple mode for all my pistols already, I forgotten to post about it.As for the pistols ap , I also dun wanna to reduce the ap points, cos I dun really likes revolvers,(mag cap is low if compare to semi-auto pistols.) if I reduce the ap cost for pistols, my entire squad will be using pistols as a secondary weapon, I dun want that to happen. I had increase the ap for pump action shotgun to 5 and bolt action rifle ap is 6.

where did my bolt action rifle come from ???

I made them using Macbeth sprites.

Im not sure if the enfield x3801 or whatever it is is supposed to be a Brit SA80 or not, but whatever, this gun, the GPMG and a LSW would make good one off additions simply because they are British and so have to be good! (can you tell where i come from?)

ya. u from UK right ?

If you have reached this bit i dont blame you for being bored stiff, I always seem to waffle on
it's ok, thks 4 replying. : )
It's about *beep*in' time some backup got here! Quote by Paladin Solo. ( FOT )

You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Then who the hell else are you talkin' to? You talkin' to me? Well, I'm the only one here. Who do the fuck do you think you're talking to? Oh, yeah? Ok.

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload. ... ile_id=762
MurPHy
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MurPHy »

What i found whilst playing FOT is that as soon as you find a heavy MG, it becomes the only gun to be used. How about increasing the Burst cost to 6aps to represent thier bulkyness?
One other thing to do is actually do what the name implies - make them heavy.

38 kg MG, 58 kg complete with M3 tripod

Very heavy indeed. In addition to the Machinegun and linked ammunition, for human entities you could make it so they need to have an M3 tripod in their inventory to use the M2. And then, only in the prone or sitting position. That would make things much more realistic at least.

It would also show the neccessity of using lighter, smaller MGs, such as the M1919A4 Browning .30 cal. Or possibly the M60.
Tc63
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Tc63 »

Fair enought about the action points thing, ive included it in my campaigns and found that you were still using the odd pistol right to the end for drivers and as secondary weapons. That might just be because of the odd nature of the campaigns though.
Quote:
What i found whilst playing FOT is that as soon as you find a heavy MG, it becomes the only gun to be used. How about increasing the Burst cost to 6aps to represent thier bulkyness?

One other thing to do is actually do what the name implies - make them heavy.

38 kg MG, 58 kg complete with M3 tripod
Yeah, ive increased all the weapons weights to unrealistic values, rifles that weigh about 40kgs to make sure that your characters arent walking arsenals. I also increased the ammo weight a hell of a lot.

I tried playing about with the idea of having to have certain stuff in your inventory to be able to use certain guns, but had no luck with any triggers. The only way i found you could do it is by puting the tripod in your other hand and make it increase your strength a bit and make the MG have a higher strength minimum. I had tried this before to make grenade launchers for assault rifles, the only way you could use the GL is if you alsoo had the rifle eqquiped.

Has anyone found a way for the game to detect which hand has been selected for use? if i can find this then i can make silencers work
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Tc63 wrote:Has anyone found a way for the game to detect which hand has been selected for use? if i can find this then i can make silencers work
Are you talking about using weapon sprites shown with silencers attached? If so no the triggers don't care which weapon slot is used. One way around it is JJ made a nice (seperate) silencer sprite for me, if you've downloaded it, from his page, make a generic entity and then have the triggers look for if the player has the silencer in a hand slot in addition to the silenced weapon.

The way I'm working it is if the weapon sprite has a silencer shown then in the description I've mentioned that the weapon is capable of having a silencer attached but the player needs to locate the seperate silencer entity.
Tc63
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Tc63 »

ah, thats it!!

See, i was going to have a set of triggers that detect if a silencer is equipped, if one is (on the right gun) then the enemy comunication range is decreased massivly.

So, the triggers would detect if you had both a silencer and the right weapon equiped it would decrease communication by 3 quarters or something.

cheers
MurPHy
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MurPHy »

eah, ive increased all the weapons weights to unrealistic values, rifles that weigh about 40kgs to make sure that your characters arent walking arsenals. I also increased the ammo weight a hell of a lot.
You needn't do that. Keep the weight at real-live values. What you should change is how much a person can carry. In real life, a fully loaded U.S. Army paratrooper carries about 130 pounds of stuff. That's the most that a highly trained, very athletic man can carry. So, simply make the in-game characters weight limit be less than that. That would be more effective, and simpler to do.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Tc63 wrote:So, the triggers would detect if you had both a silencer and the right weapon equiped it would decrease communication by 3 quarters or something.

cheers
If you're not bothered about reputation then you could also start the enemy on a neutral PI/team and have triggers to keep them neutral, i.e. (this is rough I'm at the library and don't have the game in front of me) condition
if player x has weapon & silencer equipped
action
variable silenced kill is true

then

condition
if team y has less than 100% alive
if silenced kill is true
action
(damn can't remember the right command) set team hostility to 0 ????

basically change the team alignment matrix back so they don't attack each other.

I'm using this for silenced kills, but only where the enemy can't see their team members being attack.

If you do care about reputation then give the player a big bonus at the completion of the mission if they've triggered the silenced kill variable.
MurPHy wrote:So, simply make the in-game characters weight limit be less than that. That would be more effective, and simpler to do.
You can give the characters a -125 to -175 handicap which will make their carry weights more realistic, though this works best if you limit the player to using a prefab. IIRC each point of strength adds something like 25 to your weight limit.
Our Host!