Retlaw83's DAC exclusive mod

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Retlaw83's DAC exclusive mod

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Here's an exclusive for you. Long-time community member <b>retlaw83</b> has finished his <a href="http://www.interplay.com/tactics">Fallout: Tactics</a> mod, which he calls <b>Chrome Warriors: Team Eagle Claw</b>.
This mod is exclusive to DAC because we're great.

<blockquote>Here is my Tactics mod called Chrome Warriors: Team Eagle Claw. It's based on a book I'm writing entitled Chrome Warriors: The Future of Combat. The campaign consists of five missions and a special encounter that should make any Fallout fan feel warm and fuzzy inside.

I would like to note that this mod is a DaC exclusive, as I recieved virtually all support for this project from the community. I need to thank JimmyJay86 especially, because without him this would not have been possible. In addition to helping me get started with modding, he is also responsible for the texturing on the terrific looking K17, AK-20 and PIAR weapon sprites.

The mod puts emphasis on combat over character development and managing your loot; anything else that someone needs to know about it is in the included readme.

~<b>retlaw83</b></blockquote>

I don't have a copy of <a href="http://www.interplay.com/tactics">Tactics</a> to hand to try this out, but I'm playing it in spirit. You can download the mod <a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/dload ... 2">here</a>. Nice work, <b>retlaw83</b>.
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Post by PaladinHeart »

A little easy for Normal settings, but fun play nontheless. Just what I need right now :)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. " -John 3:16

Hopes. Dreams. You have to live these things. If not, they will remain prisoner within the confines of your mind for the rest of your life.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Thanks for the compliment.

The goal was pure fun. I've also always been in the mindset that "normal" settings shouldn't be a challenge to advanced players of a game.

EDIT: Since my one roommate is demanding it, you can look forward to a co-op multiplayer mission if I can get it to work right.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Forty-six & Two
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Forty-six & Two »

Hey, im downloading it now. Sounds good, ill give ya some feedback later this week when ive played it.
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Post by PaladinHeart »

The last mission was a bit sluggish, but mostly due to the enemies lining up against the walls (they managed to kill the two sides I hadn't helped on the last round). You might want to see about fixing the group of aliens that attack from the side, as they don't go inside the base when they break the defense (they go down the side of the wall and make jerky movements, slowing the map down).

The only real challenge was the rocket launcher enemies. But rockets are always a pain to deal with :)

It was fun though. Good gibbing fun. I really enjoyed using that rocket launcher.

I never had to resort to using pistols, grenades, etc.. But it was nice to know I had em just in case I ran out of ammo. But then.. who would want to go up against rocket launchers with a pistol? :)

It was nice not having to loot any as well. Kept everything flowing nicely.

I think I'll try playing through again and see if its any different if I successfuly do the sneak missiong (I did successfully do it, but I failed after completing the objective on purpose.. I just had to blow those guys up at the entrance with a rocket). Now I know I can just stick all the pistols, grenades, etc.. in a locker or drop them on the map.

Hmm.. are there any random encounters on the world map?

I also couldn't get the vehicle weapons to fire.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. " -John 3:16

Hopes. Dreams. You have to live these things. If not, they will remain prisoner within the confines of your mind for the rest of your life.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

[TBC]-PaladinHeart wrote:You might want to see about fixing the group of aliens that attack from the side, as they don't go inside the base when they break the defense (they go down the side of the wall and make jerky movements, slowing the map down)....

... Hmm.. are there any random encounters on the world map?
One point at a time:

I'll take a look at that. The aliens have always stormed the base in every game I played. One time everyone except Aniston and Krebs were dead, and they had to make a last stand by the lined-up coffins with enemy pouring in from all three sides. I completed the mission, with Krebs dead and Aniston having one hitpoint left.

I've included pistols and grenades just in case somebody wanted to play that way. I don't like limiting player choice; I was disappointed by the fact that I had to force the player to use a prefab character.

There is a special encounter. Scout around the world map, or PM me if you want the exact location. I didn't think random encounters were a good idea, because of how oddly the engine handles them and because you wouldn't find random enemy wandering around Pluto. Due to the nature of the place, the R.T.P. and U.T.S. use sensors to patrol as much as possible.

The vehicle weapons are picky about targeting things at different elevations. Force firing into targets on the same level as you is highly effective, though.
- the Vault Dweller
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

RE

Post by PaladinHeart »

Actually I decided to try and make my own character. First I tried editing the prefab (since she starts at level 8, and I thought the tagname might have something to do with various triggers). This didn't work since my character was level 8 with level 1 stats!

Ok I decided to just go with create character. Which turned out OK because I started with a power suit, a gun (the sniper/machine gun thingy.. don't recall the name), no bullets, and an axe handle. The armor was all she needed, since the rocket launcher had plenty of bullets its like another squad member weapon :) Of course I had to wait a few missions before using her, but she got plenty of XP fast and I believe she was able to fight after only the first mission.

I found the special encounter. I also found a bug. Im not sure if it was due to the encounter or my custom char but the next mission all of my characters duplicated! Or so it seemed.. I was in the Jeep vehicle so I accidently ran a couple over before I realised what was going on (I didn't know my people were still inside it.. ).

So I had a couple dead clones. I wasn't really sure what to make of this. So I decided to get all my non-clone people together and make sure they didn't get killed.

I ended up with an Aniston, and my original 6 people. So I came to the conclusion that these were the exact same people you start with. So you must have placed actual entities and attempted to delete the others for the special encounter? Regardless, the last mission was a lot of fun what with using two vehicles and 9 characters :)

Too bad I didn't realize what was going on sooner, would have been nice to had more people in the last mission.

Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Re: RE

Post by Retlaw83 »

[TBC]-PaladinHeart wrote:
I found the special encounter. I also found a bug. Im not sure if it was due to the encounter or my custom char but the next mission all of my characters duplicated! Or so it seemed.. I was in the Jeep vehicle so I accidently ran a couple over before I realised what was going on (I didn't know my people were still inside it.. )
That's definitely not right.

I had to do a "clone squad" in order to make the characters speak. But when they hit the exit grid, they are no longer under your control. So, when you go to the next mission you only have your original people. I've never had any trouble with it, but I've also always played using the prefab character.

Because of the way I worked the tagnames, I think what happened to you stems from the fact you did not use the prefab character. You naughty, naughty boy. :chainsaw:
- the Vault Dweller
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Post by PaladinHeart »

Ya, either that or it got confused because I was in a vehicle. Either way, it was fun to replay with more people :) heh

I'll have to see if I can get it to repeat with a new game.

MurPHy
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MurPHy »

Retlaw, I have yet to play your mod, but I'll say it now: You kick ass!
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Thanks for making your mod available here.
All contributions to the community are most welcome.

Cheers,

flamescreen
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

@ Murphy & Flamescreen: I made it available here because the DaC community welcomed me as a new user and did what it could to help me. So, really, the community deserves to have this.
- the Vault Dweller
Big Tom
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Sorry

Post by Big Tom »

I know about your mod Retlaw. I have allready download it and try it. Congratulation. I will guess that you probably know, that this is second finished mod with mas and story, world etc.
But this was pouit out on other guy which had enthusiasm but litle determination.
I (and other player) will be very grateful for some other Fallout campaigns and mods.
Sorry for my poor English
BigTom :giggle:
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

Retlaw just downloaded the campaign, what a nightmare that was I had to restart getright 57 times and then it crashed on me just as the file finished downloading. Fortunately the zip had downloaded okay but my heart was in my mouth there for a few seconds. I'll start playing it tomorrow (any excuse not to work on my own :) ).

Just to address a couple of things in the read me, and something you've mentioned above.

The description for the bos scrip was added later in the items.txt, but before your alteration, so that's why it's overriding your changes. If you do a find in wordpad for diablo the original description for the money is just below the diablo plate entry so if you release a patch or updated version you can take this out by add // in front of the entry.

One way to kill the characters if they take off their armour outdoors is to use the camoflage field. This is accumalative, but if you've given each squad member and the prefab a tagname you can use the unit has less than trigger. See this thread for more details.

Speaking of prefabs, you say you don't like forcing the player to use a prefab, but you could always give them a blank prefab (which is what I'm doing) where no name, age or character points etc have been allocated. So if they modify the prefab it'll be like creating a character from scratch. Only you can set the prefab up with tagnames, weight restrictions, or bonuses to skills etc.

Finally you mentioned you couldn't find some of the gui files to change, I notice there's a lot of screens you have changed is there anything in particular you still wanted to change?
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

requiem_for_a_starfury wrote: Finally you mentioned you couldn't find some of the gui files to change, I notice there's a lot of screens you have changed is there anything in particular you still wanted to change?
Thanks for all the good information. I know one screen I wanted changed was the little dialog that pops up when you transfer more than one of something, and the rest elude me right now.
- the Vault Dweller
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

:chew: ALERT ALERT ENTER YOUR HOMES :chew:
:chew:
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Meggy don't you ever get tired of acting the fool, or is it an act? Hmm. :confused2:
gomimin
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by gomimin »

hi retlaw...playing ya mod was fun...waiting for more to come!

thanx
gomimin
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Thanks, gomimin. I'm going to be releasing some single missions for it, which will include some sprites for the MPPL and replace a couple more GUI screens I didn't hit.

If I can find some red/pinkish ground tiles - or make some - I'll probably do some missions on the tanakan home planet, too.
- the Vault Dweller
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Retlaw83 wrote:If I can find some red/pinkish ground tiles - or make some - I'll probably do some missions on the tanakan home planet, too.
What sort of ground tiles, dirt, sand, rock? And what shade of pink?
Our Host!