Auto Crossbow+Lite Crossbow (entity updated and corrected)

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
xbow
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Auto Crossbow+Lite Crossbow (entity updated and corrected)

Post by xbow »

For those of us that think a crossbow has a place in the hands of tribals and low level raiders and even a Delver thats short on ammo.

Light Crossbow: I used the spear gun as the base sprite and replaced GUIbig and GUIsmall so on the ground it looks like a spear gun. the sound associated with the entity is not all that hot i used the plasma gun sound. later Ill do the four default images and figure out how to give it a more crossbow like sound. Damage = 15-25, max range 20, AP=ranged single expensive

download Light Crossbow:
http://www.geocities.com/tankermo2/crossbow.zip

goto Auto cocking Crossbow below :
Last edited by xbow on Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:13 am, edited 5 times in total.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I'd try and find a way to make the reload cost more, too, because its more difficult to reload than a magazine fed weapon.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
M92FS
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by M92FS »

xbow thks a lot for the crossbow entity u created.
It's about *beep*in' time some backup got here! Quote by Paladin Solo. ( FOT )

You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Then who the hell else are you talkin' to? You talkin' to me? Well, I'm the only one here. Who do the fuck do you think you're talking to? Oh, yeah? Ok.

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload. ... ile_id=762
xbow
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

cost of usage I agree but I dont know how to do it

Post by xbow »

I agree 100 % the thing fires too fast, but ranged single expensive was the highest use cost, any ideas?

But it has a magazine capacity of 1 and the cost to reload is 2 and the cost to fire it is 6 (8 to complete a fire and reload cycle) too bad there isnt a way (that I know of) of increasing the reload cost to 6.

what about stats/attributes/ derived could they have some effect?
xbow
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

no problem M92fs

Post by xbow »

thanks man

I hope its unrealistic firing rate dosent get in the way because as retlaw83 says the thing fires a bit too fast.

its just another FOT bug like the tube loading pump shotgun that only takes 2 action points to shove 5 rounds into. or the cassul revolver that takes 2 action points to reload. you could take the damage down but thats unrealistic as well since a 300 pound pull crossbow that you have to cock with a frogs foot does alot of damage at close range..ah well. the cost to fire should be all of your actions points -2

Post by Guest »

Retlaw83 wrote:I'd try and find a way to make the reload cost more, too, because its more difficult to reload than a magazine fed weapon.
Or you could just make it cost alot to fire to *simulate* the reload time.
quietfanatic
Respected
Respected

Post by quietfanatic »

A crossbow should be good, but I think that a repeater crossbow, spear gun al a Heavy Metal would be even more suited to the wasteland. It would be fairly modern, with burst and cheap firing, but it would be suitably post apocalyptic. Unfortunately I have little or no artistic talent and now photoshop.
Forgive my ignorance master.
DIE...die weak fool (cue Bozar death)
xbow
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

cool beans!!!!

Post by xbow »

Good call quietfanatic consider it done

with all those microfusion cells lying around there should be no problem powering an auto cocking repeating crossbow. all you need to add to the bow would be a linnear motor (solenoid). A MF cell with 100 charges could probably jerk the limbs of a 500 pound bow a thousand times before it burns out.

Ill post the sprite, the entity, and the description in a zip tomorrow here is what it looks like now. What do you suppose its range and damage should be?
Last edited by xbow on Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
quietfanatic
Respected
Respected

Post by quietfanatic »

I don't know how the ammunition/damage relationship works, if there is one, but otherwise I would give it the range 25 and damage of 6-18, with an accuracy bonus for burst of +5. Max Violence would probably know best about the gameplay balance, but I can only guess.

Your work looks very snazzy. I'm looking forward to testing it out.
Forgive my ignorance master.
DIE...die weak fool (cue Bozar death)
xbow
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Auto Cocking Crossbow

Post by xbow »

Item description + entity corrected aug/ 25/ 04
Auto Cocking Crossbow

POWER
A 1 pound Crossbow bolt fired from the Quad300 Bow is traveling at 250 feet per second and has about 971 foot pounds of energy or about two times the energy that a .45APC round delivers.**

DAMAGE
With that information it would seem correct to give the auto cocking bow the ability to deliver twice the damage as the.45 pistols damage of 12 -18. I think thats too high so I made it less but I gave it special damage in the form of knockOver, the multiplier used is 10. In not penetrating the projectile transfers most of its momentum to the target and KnockOver results.

RATE OF FIRE
The magazine capacity isl 1 and the action point cost is still ranged single expensive I did that because there would still be a manual operation to jack another bolt from the hopper on to the rail. With a magazine of more than one it just fires too fast. So a complete fire and relaod cycle costs 8 action points.

Download:http://www.geocities.com/tankermo2/quad300xbow
**assuming a 240grain slug traveling at 900 feet per second for the .45APC
Last edited by xbow on Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

I tried both of your mods and they're awesome. I like the "Quad 300" myself.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Re: no problem M92fs

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

xbow wrote:its just another FOT bug like the tube loading pump shotgun that only takes 2 action points to shove 5 rounds into. or the cassul revolver that takes 2 action points to reload.
Not really a bug since they decided to go with a default loading time across the board, but I agree that at times it can be annoying especially if you want bonus improvements like the speed loader. :(

I'd go with giving your auto loader a bigger magazine than one, and cutting the aps down to ranged burst (but no burst fire). Really loading a crossbow is two actions the placing of the bolt and ing the bow, the autoloader should be quicker to fire.

You can always use the h2h expensive (I think that's 8aps) though your player wouldn't get any bonus from fast shot when using the crossbow.

Nice sprites though, can't wait until I can get on line and download them.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
xbow
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

rate of fire

Post by xbow »

Ya they should have made the reloding cost a function that can be modified by the possion of a modified weapon or skill with that weapon type.
requiem_for_a_starfury wrote:I'd go with giving your auto loader a bigger magazine than one, and cutting the aps down to ranged burst (but no burst fire). Really loading a crossbow is two actions the placing of the bolt and cock ing the bow, the autoloader should be quicker to fire.
That sounds logical since the longest part of loading is jacking the limbs back. I will redo the .ent file to reflect that change. Getting two shots off a round should be acceptable say 5AP per shot or 'ranged burst' and a four round top loading magazine.

Now that that is settled hmmmmm what about additional ammo types poisoned bolts and ones that deliver a little blast or electrical damage when they hit the target?

I, l'll have the new .ent file in the zip in a few hours.

I will also post my rendition of the M49 pulse rifle (aliens) it looks like a good standard weapon for BOS characters (with a BOS logo on the magazine well) . The weapon has 3 modes of fire single (1), burst(5), spray(10).
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

Hey xbow, I've just downloaded the crossbow sprites and they look good but can I be greedy and get the original autoloader shown in your screenshot please? If you still have it?

Cheers
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Our Host!