Let's have playable races in FO3

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
Ernesto
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Ernesto »

jetbaby wrote:ghouls get the... hide-from-the-racist-human-with-a-big-gun game?
Splinter Cell: Ghoul Booty.
PsychoSniper wrote:Prehaps have NCR be in the lower/upper left corner of the map and extend far to the east ?
Personally, I could go for Nevada or at the very least somewhere different. I'm finding that California is starting to lose it's charm. Then again, that's just me.

Like everyone else, I know playable races in Fallout 3 would obviously suck. It won't work, it never will if you want Fallout to stick to RPGs. The only way playable races could have been even considered was in Fallout 1. Give the location of Vault 13, get dipped and go off minigunning Tandi. I believe that idea has been said somewhere here, but I don't remember.

Would have made a nice tidy expansion pack that would have sold very badly.

....That sounds a lot like a WOODN'T DAT b KEWL comment but it's something.

But hey, I suck.
xbow
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Nyet to playable races

Post by xbow »

On the face of it the idea sucks ass and the more you look at it the worse it smells. Imagine the reception a party with a human, a supermutant, a stinking ghoul, and a deathclaw would get in a human settelment. What should happen of course is that children run, adults grab their weapons and start blasting and choping away at the muties and of course the jerk that brought those foul creatures into town. Furthermore I think that if a party has a Ghoul Deathclaw or Mutant in it the party should suffer random attacks by any band of humans that they run across about 80percent of the time. Obviously anyone that wants to play a mutant isn’t thinking about all the bogies that come with being a one.

On my wish list for FO3 is a return to a more reasonable look for super mutants the ones in FOT sucked big time, I think a model more like the ones in FO1+2 would be great as would a return to the demeanor of the FO1+2 mutants. I mean remember the first time you saw a mutant scratching his ass and then sniffing his fingers.
Ernesto
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Ernesto »

Everything about FO:T sucked ass, fo-rizzle. Just look at Boom-Bugs and Hairy Deathcalws, 'nuff said.
xbow
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

You are right in many cases MrGreen

Post by xbow »

Boom-Bugs---Very Stupid

Hairy Deathcalws ---I thought deathclaws were mutated iguanas how did they get hair?

I do like CTB mode.

I do like sentry mode.

I do like being able to control the party.
(how many times has cassidy blocked your shots?)

I do like being able to fire from a covered position
and use firing positions. (would you really stand in front
of a row of guys in power armor or would you seek cover?

FOT could have been a great RPG game if the boys and girls at Interplay had put on their thinking caps on once in awhile. [/quote]
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Mr. Green wrote: Personally, I could go for Nevada or at the very least somewhere different. I'm finding that California is starting to lose it's charm. Then again, that's just me.
I could really go for a Fallout game set in western Pennsylvania. Make Pittsburgh a bombed-out metropolis and a whole bunch of settlements along the remnants of I76, I79 and US Route 19 using the old roads as trading routes. Throw in some carnivorous mutant deer as a new enemy and you'd be set. I can even think of two viable storylines using this location.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Hatchen
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Hatchen »

Like many have said, no race choices. The only way this could happen without ripping the story apart is not have a specific story with a vault dweller. I hope they don't thou, i liked being "the vault dweller" it had meaning. What i would like to see is more customization. If you have big built, you are not going to be normal bulit, but bigger. same with small frame, accually show it. Other things could change with with your primary stats, like your strength. Alot less of it could result to obesity or really skinny. charisma could be showen on how you look, like at 10 you would look very good but at 1 really ugly.

campaign

Post by Guest »

What about a fallout campaign set in texas around Dallas/San Antonio/Houston? Actually I'm working on a map like that right now. I plan to have all three citirs be bombed out with most civilization intact.Cool?
Janus Matchell
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Re: campaign

Post by Janus Matchell »

fallout ranger wrote:What about a fallout campaign set in texas around Dallas/San Antonio/Houston? Actually I'm working on a map like that right now. I plan to have all three citirs be bombed out with most civilization intact.Cool?
Sorry FR I beat you there with a Fallout Texas campaign based around Dallas/San Antonio?Houston so far due to the wacked out tornado and environmental hazards players seem to be dying left and right. My party that has 6 people in it at the moment has at least 4 of 6 character deaths every 3 sessions for some crazy reason. They role-play pretty well at the moment but that doesn't really save them from rads and assorted things like Deathclaws or raiders.

About having races in Fo3 it wouldn't be wise as it would be a very bad reaction especially when Deathclaws and ghouls wonder into more civilized establishment of humanity. Trust me you don't want other races because that generally means more bad stuff for you then player.
Ignore my warnings and pay no heed then your live will be ended shortly indeed!
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

No playable races. There is enough difference in character creation through simply having traits, stats, and skills. The races aren't equal. Simple as that. And making alternate plotlines is absurd and ridiculous, not to mention a huge waste of resources and time.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Post by Guest »

Playable races would suck. The only towns that don't really care about mutants would be places like Broken Hills and Necropolis. If they did have playable races in FO3 you wouldn't be able to do half the damn quests in the game.

For instance, if you were a ghoul or mutant in FO2, you wouldn't have been able to even get into Vault City without shootin' the holy hell out of the place.

And another thing, who knows what NPC's think about certain races. If Cassidy in FO2 had hated ghouls, you'd be shit out of luck trying to get him in your party.

Who'd want to play as a half-dead guy anyway?
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Saint - while the constraints of the Fallout universe do say no new ghouls and super mutants after a certain point in time, it would be downright stupid to say that everybody after a while just became a normal, unadulterated again. For one thing, the world wouldn't be that interesting. If the same thing happened with the rest of the world, there wouldn't be any mutaned critters, and probably not that much radiation or nasty toxic stuff in the environment, so basically after 300 years or so the world would be very similar to what it was before the war, except ruined - it would be more like a battlefield than a dead, wildly toxic post-nuclear world. Bottom line, new mutants should keep on coming, either in the form of more of the same or new races. Nowhere is there an actual concrete reason why this is so, so you could easily rework these rules to form a nice plot device.

That said, it would be downright stupid to let the player start as anything but a human for the reasons discussed above. However, through play, I don't see why the player couldn't be turned into a ghoul or a super mutant through the obvious processes; this could make up a major part of the game and add a great deal of depth and interest to it, as well.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

OGM TEH VAMPRE GHOOL!

I have a feeling that Bethesda might end up with some gay diseases like they did with Morrowind to try and incorporate some races. Like that damned vampire disease that made the game 99% unplayable. I can just imagine getting bit by a ghoul and then changing into one and ruining the playability because no one will talk to you.

I think there might be some room for new races if they work it out right. I agree with atoga that we should have to start out as human. An evolution, or an accident would work, IMO, in turning you into one of the other races....But it would truely suck if this fuckored the playability by closing off most of the quests...If they change the dialogue for each race depending on which accident occurs, and keep the game playable then I guess I wouldn't mind...Plus turning into a new race would have to be avoidable, or at least a decision the player can make. Like finding an area with a tank of FEV with a leak...You can investigate, open the tank, and become a Mutant, etc.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

I don't think these mutations should change the game that much, mind you. They would be balanced in the way traits are: a super mutant would be a bit stronger and hardier, but dumber and uglier, whereas a ghoul would have sharper senses and a great deal of resistance to radiation, but they'd be slower and easy to break. The main perk of changing to a different race, though, is having others would react differently towards you. While having this in the early game would be bad as it would fuck with the plot, if the player were to become a ghoul or super mutie later in the game, the plot would still be able to resolve itself (though the player might have to rely less on talking). As for subquests, it might make some of them inaccessible - but at the same time it would open up new ones.

The key word is 'balanced'.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Hear, hear. I second that notion!

Anyways, the Morrowind vampirism wasn't really that gay. One of the übermost quests & items could be reached that way and it wasn't really that hard to get rid of it either, at least if your level was high enough so that you didn't get your ass kicked by the first sewer rat you met.

You shouldn't be able to revert your 'stance' from mutant/ghoul back to human in FO3, though. Once you're infected, dipped, poisoned, contaminated, whatever - it's permanent.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

With Morrowind, being a regular disease-caused vampire really sucked...There was really nothing to do and everyone would either not talk to you or would try and kill you. I know there were some vampire only quests, but they weren't enough to make the disease worth all the crap you had to go through. Granted I became a vampire while I was just starting the game and pretty much wandering around without knowing where to go or how to fix myself.

The Daywalker Mod for Morrowind kicked ass, though. Jumping high, running fast, and generally being better than any other race as well as being a vampire. Good stuff. :D

That would be kind of neat if FO3 ended up being that moddable. Someone could make a whole new FO1 and FO2 if they put their mind to it. Like with Descent III having the Descent II and Descent I mod/map packs..That was great.

Then again, someone could create mods to make FO3 have dwarves, elves, and crap like that. And could include that ever-popular cross-bow!
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Yes, that matters a lot if you get infected early in the beginning. That'd just plain suck. But hey - you shouldn't be sticking your nose into vampire catacombs if you can't handle the consoquences ;)

There was some hidden item, some SUPER ÃœBER SWORD thingy, IIRC, that you could only get as a vampire. You had to do some special quests and kill some dude that had nothing to do with your quest and have some specific items in your inventory and *bam* some fucking God would appear and hand you out some kind of a glowing, blue katana.

The damage was supposed to be something like, I dunno, 999-9999 ?

Post by Guest »

atoga wrote:I don't see why the player couldn't be turned into a ghoul or a super mutant through the obvious processes
Not a bad idea. But still, lots of people hate mutants in the fallout world.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

fallout ranger wrote: Not a bad idea. But still, lots of people hate mutants in the fallout world.
That would be the obvious repercussion of such a change, yes.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

I told Vivec or whatever his name was where to put it and shoved him in a crystal.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Janus Matchell
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

whoa

Post by Janus Matchell »

S4ur0n27 wrote:(Supermutants = orc warriors) + (Ghouls = elven rangers) makes for a bad equation.
That sure as hell is a bad equation. I don't like the comparison to D&D and any other rpgs out there which are like 95% similar. They aren't fun and its just mindless hack and slash with the occasional cut scene and boos fight just like in FOPOS sans good cut scenes.
Ignore my warnings and pay no heed then your live will be ended shortly indeed!
Our Host!