Fallen Earth News

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Fallen Earth News

Post by Killzig »

<strong>[Game -> Update]</strong>

The chuckle heads over at <A href="http://fallenearth.com/" target=_blank>Fallen Earth</a> have sent out their latest news letter which includes a promotional video for the upcoming Post-Apoc MMORPG.
<br><blockquote>Dear Friends of Fallen Earth,
<br>
<br>Thank you for your patience and interest in our game.
<br>
<br>We prefer to be quiet and focused, as you?ve noticed? but thought we would send you this first letter to tell you a bit more about where this project came from? Future newsletters will include more game specific information.
<br>
<br>We`ve seen in the past so many games super hyped and then delayed,
<br>frustrating a lot of fans. Our goal is to stay focused with our heads down, and just design the vision we all share, a vision of a genuinely unique MMORPG that you will enjoy playing and becoming a part of a rich
<br>environment offering multiple styles of gameplay, and the freedom that
<br>comes with that variety.
<br>
<br>The Icarus team has played and built MMOGs for the past 15 years. It has been our strategy and desire to build the MMOG we wanted to play.
<br>
<br>The world we`re producing is a game with a unique feel and atmosphere, and a game with a message:
<br>
<br>We are living amazing times. The progress in technology and sciences has greatly impacted our societies. And we all know that the pace of technology is accelerating.
<br>
<br>We will have safer cars and airplanes, live longer lives? but overall, what we expect at Icarus is that biochemistry, biology, genetics, artificial intelligence, nanotechnology, and disciplines not yet named will generate tremendous leaps forward in the next century, affecting our lives in ways we can barely imagine today...
<br>
<br>Unfortunately though, humans remain pretty much the same: they struggle, suffer and hope. They don?t learn from past mistakes, they are easily corruptible and often self-indulgent.
<br>
<br>Now add human nature to the trends in society and advanced technology.
<br>And jump ahead a century or more...
<br>
<br>You, like those of us at Icarus, can see that the results could be more than dramatic? and if the negative trends accelerate with no solution to keep them in check, the results could look something like the world of Fallen Earth?
<br>
<br>We hope it will never reach that state, we trust humanity will never reach that level of self-destruction. But how long can you accelerate before you spin out of control?
<br>
<br>A wise man hopes for the best while preparing for the worst. Playing Fallen Earth may be like preparing for the future ? and for rekindling hope in the ashes of a collapsed world.
<br>
<br>Fallen Earth will be a game of hope, of reconstruction. It?s you, all the players, who will reclaim our world and reclaim it whichever way you think it should be done.
<br>
<br>There will be those in the game who try to stand in your way, or guide
<br>your visions. Some, like the Enforcers, will believe that police-level
<br>order is essential to restore civilization. Others like the Vistas, will claim that only by respecting nature and limiting genetic manipulation
<br>can the world be restored. Will it be one of these that you identify with? Or maybe your inclination leans toward those who believe in Chaos
<br>? the C.H.O.T.A?s? or spiritual Faith ? the LightBearers? or Knowledge ? the Techs?
<br>
<br>As for your role in this world we are building -- You decide. Neither the world nor your role in it will be passive. We?re only here to give
<br>you the greatest possible freedom to pursue your own preferences through a very dangerous landscape? toward the hope that lies just over the far horizon.
<br>
<br>We?re approaching some important horizons of our own, and will keep in touch with you over the coming months. Some of you will get a chance to
<br>become testers, and we hope all of you at launch will have as much pleasure playing Fallen Earth as we are having building it?
<br>
<br>To thank you again for your patience, please click <a href="http://downloads.fallenearth.com/movies ... v">HERE</a>
<br>to download an exclusive little video sequence from the game, just for you.
<br>
<br>The forums will open as soon as we have the resources to give them the attention they deserve. For now, that attention remains focused on building the game.
<br>
<br>We look forward to having a more interactive dialog with you soon,
<br>
<br>Peace to you all,
<br>
<br>The Editors</blockquote>
<br>One word, embarassing. Thanks to <a href="http://www.gammaworld.org" target=_blank>MUTANT@GammaWorld</a> for sending this along.
Finch
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Finch »

Is the cup always half empty with you?
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

The MMORPG cup has usually been mistaken for a toilet and is completely full of crap.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
CloudNineGT
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by CloudNineGT »

Wow, that was a waste of 30 seconds to watch someone with a shitty run animation flail around. Those are some of the most flat and lifeless models I've seen, in fact most half life mods managed to look more alive. What complete trash.
Grimnar
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Grimnar »

What was that about not judging stuff based on trailers now? ;P

Seriously, what kinda computers do they intend to run that game on in MMORPG form? amazing how stupid devs are these days
"We have OH SHIT I HEAR THE ICE CREAM TRUCK!!!!!111!1111oneone-scorpions" -Chucky Cuevas
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

Finch wrote:Is the cup always half empty with you?
When it comes to the current state of the gaming industry I'm left with no other choice but to portray the cup as half empty. If you wish to keep your rose-coloured lenses on that's fine, I won't force them off you.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
Grimnar
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Grimnar »

ok just watched ... humans have a headsize of 1/3 bodysize in the future?
Must be all the radiation ... or goblin crossbreeds .. goblins??

It looks to be just as much an RPG as all the other wannabees
"We have OH SHIT I HEAR THE ICE CREAM TRUCK!!!!!111!1111oneone-scorpions" -Chucky Cuevas
mutant
l337 hax0r
l337 hax0r

Re: Fallen Earth News

Post by mutant »

Fallen Earth wrote:The Icarus team has played and built MMOGs for the past 15 years. It has been our strategy and desire to build the MMOG we wanted to play.
Is it just me, or is this a ridiculous statement? There hasn't been 15 years of MMOG industry. Unless you count BBS Door games, or MuDs...
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

meridian 59 is the earliest i remember and that was 95 i think.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
T-900
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Yargh.

Post by T-900 »

I pity you people... so grim and pessimistic I doubt you retain the ability to enjoy anything but your own dry obscure humour.

MMORPG's are a damn good game genre, but like most game genre's most MMO's are a waste of time.

I'm impressed by the video, the animation is EXCELLENT... I'm amazed to see animation of that quality in an MMO... Combat doesn't look quite as fluid as i'd hoped but i'm definitely going to continue watching this game.

Pity i don't have a PC to run anything made in the last year O_o
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

It looked like crap. Matrix outfits in the desert. It looked like Black and White with those monsters towards the end.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Post by DarkUnderlord »

Dear friends of blah blah blah blah video link.

That guy sure can run, hey? He even gets to shoot a bit too. But just a bit.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
mutant
l337 hax0r
l337 hax0r

Post by mutant »

DarkUnderlord wrote:Dear friends of blah blah blah blah video link.

That guy sure can run, hey? He even gets to shoot a bit too. But just a bit.
Oddly enough, the guy was hand 2 hand with a MOB, and had 2 guns strapped to his back.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Re: Yargh.

Post by Megatron »

T-900 wrote:I pity you people... so grim and pessimistic...but like most game genre's most MMO's are a waste of time.
YOU FUCKING IDIOT

nah d00d gtfo my net b4 i b7 ur A$$!

p.s nEw sMiLeYz rIcK!! :anger: :anger: :anger: :anger: :anger: :anger: :anger: :bored: :bored: :bored: :bored: :evil_laugh: :evil_laugh: :evil_laugh: :pelvic_thrust: :pelvic_thrust: :joy: :joy: :lalala: :lalala: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :lalala: :hug: :hug: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :eyebrow: :hug: :joy: :joy: :joy: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Grimnar
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Grimnar »

hahahahaha
T-900
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by T-900 »

*blink* How dare you mutilate my speech.

You're a fucking moron megatron.... I honestly feel nothing for you but pity... no anger, no hate, just pity *grinning inanely XD*
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

How did I mutilate your speech? I just cut out the bit in the middle and made something that made sense. Mabye.

I don't pity you, I just think you're a fucking twat.
:chew:
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Welcome to '97!
Raymondo Games > Icarus Studios
Role-Player
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Role-Player »

I pity you people... so grim and pessimistic I doubt you retain the ability to enjoy anything but your own dry obscure humour.
What's there to be optimistic about? We see trailers which show below average and dry animations. Just because we don't cream out pants with mundane things doesn't mean we're pessimists.
MMORPG's are a damn good game genre, but like most game genre's most MMO's are a waste of time.
MMORPGs are a damn good genre... in paper. The reality is that its a genre shockful of trite games which barely scratch the surface of online theories of gaming, that rarely go beyond the typical level treadmill and A/S/L kiddies chatting. Its no wonder Microsoft shit canned Mythica, based on their appraisal that the market is already full of these games.
I'm impressed by the video, the animation is EXCELLENT... I'm amazed to see animation of that quality in an MMO... Combat doesn't look quite as fluid as i'd hoped but i'm definitely going to continue watching this game.
Someone get EvoG here, stat!
Your idols speak so much of the abyss, yet your morals only run as deep as the surface.
T-900
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by T-900 »

*eye muscles twitch faintly*

Neocron was a masterpiece, and in an RPG you make your own entertainment by roleplaying, the game is the framework you base your roleplay in, and Neocron provided an excellent atmosphere.

The animations in fallen earth looked high quality by the standards of any game out now.

The market is filled with utterly pointless MMO's. Yes. ... Most books, films, games, music, art that are created are utterly terrible, and a few are damn good.

Megatron, your responces are only more proof that hate is an attractive force... If your dislike for me was as great as you claim you wouldn't actually bother replying XD AND STOP USING THAT FUCKING NAME >< You are an insult to the story that spawned that name..

Edit: More to add! If you all hate MMO's so much stop reporting on 'em... find something else to do with the huge amount of time you seem to have on yer hands. Compare this to any other MMO on the market and you've got a damn nice looking game... you can't base comparisons on the magical games you've got in your own skulls which would never work if you actually tried to create them.
Our Host!