How’d You Spend Spring Break?

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

How’d You Spend Spring Break?

Post by Mad Max RW »

<strong>[Community -> Update]</strong>

<html><body><P>I’m fairly certain this was mentioned before, but you may remember the girl Elana who put together a nice <A HREF=http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/ target=_blank>online journal</A> of her biking trips through the Chernobyl area. She updated the site with tons more great pictures and descriptions. I’m not sure what the big deal is anymore after seeing New Jersey.</P><P>I apologize for missing anything the last few days because I’ve been busy with nonstop Far Cry sessions. STALKER will have to pull every trick out if its ass to top that one.</P></body></html>
Grimnar
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Grimnar »

The only thing farcry has going for it is graphics and ragdoll physics? dont tell me its revolutionary in any other aspects?

Graphics isnt gameplay
"We have OH SHIT I HEAR THE ICE CREAM TRUCK!!!!!111!1111oneone-scorpions" -Chucky Cuevas
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Did you even read the thread in general discussion? Personally I'm stillt rying to make the bastard run, but it gets good reviews for better reasons. Go check that thread out.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Grimnar
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Grimnar »

Ive allready played it thru, and i cant say i havent experienced it before ... The only difference is the graphics and physics, but as peoples brains finish digesting all the wonderfull eyecandy they will realize it too.
"We have OH SHIT I HEAR THE ICE CREAM TRUCK!!!!!111!1111oneone-scorpions" -Chucky Cuevas
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Ahh. Well, I can't really judge because it doesn't mother effing work, but if I can ever resolve that problem I'll toss my own opinion out.

Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

What were you expecting? AI is good. Missions are varied and quite challenging. The fact it looks beatiful and runs so well is a happy bonus. I'm loving how replayable Far Cry is.

I'm on my second time through right now and discovering stuff I didn't know about. The beginning level on my first run I had no idea you can shoot those giant oil tanks and send them rolling through the merc base. It killed at least half the enemies and saved me a ton of ammo.
Before I didn't know you can shoot out radios until 3/4ths through the first time.
I'm finding all sorts of new and easier ways around levels.
The new patch easily tripled performance and I get to see how great the game is intended at high settings.

Sure, as an FPS it's nothing new. You run around and shoot bad guys. Every game boils down to the same thing when you think about it.
T-900
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

For the sake of one Ontopic post:

Post by T-900 »

Incredible website... I wonder how many of you actually clicked the link ;)

Farcry is a nice little game... got some wonderful vehicles in it, nice physics, clever AI, and tastily designed levels... I wish my processor wasn't held on with a lump of wire, then i could consider getting it.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Personally its pretty revolutionary in the way its presented with open ended gameplay and such. Sure some of it is linear like when you're in a base, but when you're running through the jungle and you can choose where you want to go in specific, its great. Or even use tactics that suite your playing style, sure Deus Ex allowed this for abit, but not to this extent. The editor is also pretty revolutionary if you ask me. I haven't taken the time to figure out everything, but from the little bit that I messed with it was great. The AI is also pretty good in that they try to work as a team and such. Nothing uber spectacular, but better then most games out there.
Harriers for the cup.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Re: For the sake of one Ontopic post:

Post by jetbaby »

T-900 wrote:Incredible website... I wonder how many of you actually clicked the link ;)

I did. I would really like to visit myself, I think it would be an interesting place to see in person. I was especially fond of the line...

"<i>they call it a town where time stands still. May be it is because clocks in a ghosttown don't show real time, they are set for showing a radiation level.</i>"

and the accompanying picture.

Kamaz
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Kamaz »

The journal is something breathtaking. Not because of photos - I have seen lot of this kind and even more surprising, but because of the feel/atmosphere/story telling. The author runs briefly through the hundreds, thousands of peoples' lives, through the soviet idiotism, through the killing reality and this is what gives the creeps. It may seem funny or just interestiung to see such places like Chernobyl in real, but in reality, for lot of people it was dead end of their lives. It was and it is no fun, it is no exciting, it is just tremendous/scary. I have the "very great oportunity" to have been born and live in a territory of former Soviet Union and I live in a village like the one on the pics, just it looks better and there are people around, but if I like, I can take a trip to this-like ghosttowns nearby. And I have some motives to hate the whole soviet shit like hell.
The tragedy of Chernobyl shows the madness of soviet terror. Immagine that only because of my birth, my father was not taken to death-mission "to save/rebuild the Chernobyl" while some of my friend-fathers were took by army vehicles and went to Place. And the goddamned bastards really kept silance, said nothing while it could save lots of lives, and that parade the girl mentions is a clear sign of crime/stupidity/madness of those fucking bastards. And this is no funny, these are no excursions, it is slow, painful death and it is damn real. Even liking very much the setting of post-appocalipse/radiation/pollution/devastation/rust and so on I cannot forget the bloody injustice so it is something else for me, not the post-apoc feel.

But, distancing from emotional arguments, must say I would like to wander there with my car, but technically it is not very good idea - she mentions the radiation level on asphalt and this worries me the most. The dust is one of the most popular radioactive pollution ways and the car gethers hell of a dust. ANd then, the car is wider then that ninja she uses, so it would take more dust on it while beeing displaced more to the one side of the road, rather than middle. Not surprise that there are so much cars left in the zone. The next thing is fuel, because it just would not be nice to stuck somewhere in a nuclear desert with empty f-tanks. And there surely aint any quests to help. And then the radiation accumulated by your body...wouldnt be pleasured to see my children mutants (tphoo, tphoo, tphoo), so it rounds up that I will stay with non-radioactive ghost-towns and rather not to try to visit big Ch.
*the
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Those common typos and stupid grammatic errors on that website manage to ruin the "feeling" every once in a while, though.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

That was a pretty neato site. The girl has some good photos, especially some of the rooftop shots. She's not that good a writer, but she makes a couple good observations (if you want to bother to read into them).

I was browsing around the STALKER site and they did a similar thing a while ago.

Damn, I love this stuff.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

Has anyone else seen that show on the History Channel about man-made disasters? It recreated things like Chernobyl and Three Mile Island following the events from several key people's point of views. The Chernobyl one was damn good. The other really gives you an idea how close we were to being totally fucked. If the core at Three Mile Island melted and reached water there would have been radioactive steam geysers erupting all over the damn place. We had no reliable evacuation plans. Only one nearby town was told to get lost. And if something like that happens again and the shit really hits the fan we're not going anywhere. Forget about driving away because every major road, highway, and interstate will be closed from the incredible amount of traffic and accidents.

Of course the radioactive steam is all theoretical. I think it's called "China Syndrome" and only a couple times we came close to seeing what happens. Some scientists think the molten shit will burn right to the center of the earth and end everything. It's much more likely steam will explode out of the ground for hundreds of miles.
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Re: How’d You Spend Spring Break?

Post by johnnygothisgun »

Mad Max RW wrote:I’m not sure what the big deal is anymore after seeing New Jersey

I live in New Jersey, and your sense of humor makes me cry.
DJ Slamák
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by DJ Slamák »

Speaking of spring break, it would seem to an uneducated foreigner that spring break in the USA is one giant teenage tit fest. How did that happen?
[caleb]
SDF!
SDF!

Post by [caleb] »

wish we had tit fests over here in rainy britain :(
Moo and out.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

DJ Slamak wrote:Speaking of spring break, it would seem to an uneducated foreigner that spring break in the USA is one giant teenage tit fest. How did that happen?
You can thank New Orleans for that. I think.
johnnygotthisgun wrote:I live in New Jersey, and your sense of humor makes me cry.
Hey, I think we've all seen New Jersey. It's a disgusting pit of hell, it is.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by johnnygothisgun »

atoga wrote:Hey, I think we've all seen New Jersey. It's a disgusting pit of hell, it is.
That's Berlin, New Jersey. Camden isn't a nice place, either.
CloudNineGT
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by CloudNineGT »

atoga wrote:You can thank New Orleans for that. I think.
No, you can thank alcohol and stupid girls. I suppose that does sum up a lot of New Orleans though.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Hey, try Washington. The biggest thing to ever happen here is... OMGZORZ! WTO RIOTS.

Our Host!