First Day

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Phias
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

First Day

Post by Phias »

Who remembers the first day they played Fallout 1 or 2?

For me, it was sometime in 1997... I was a mere 10 years old. I remember shooting all of the terrorizing rats, fleeing to the outside world, then encountering a traveling caravan that took me to Shady Sands. I then wondered where the caravan went off to.

Ah, the good old days. Bittersweet, they are.
Endure. In enduring, grow strong.
CloudNineGT
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by CloudNineGT »

I first played sometime in 97, when I walked up the stairs to my cousins room I saw it. The game blew my mind. I didnt really understand the complexity of the game at the time but I definitely got shooting people with an smg. A week later I went home and bought the game, but to my horror my parents deemed it too violent to be played. I hid the CD, and at night after they had gone to sleep I would play it with headphones, but it was maddeningly difficult to travel because of the weird travel glitch with some computers. I played Fallout any time I could, but lost a lot of progress because my parents would sometime come home early and saving the game took near a full minute so I often had to just turn off the computer. Eventually I beat it, and now I realize it was the most enjoyable gaming experience of my life, with the exception of some pen and paper games.

That was more of a full story than just the first day.
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

I heard about how awesome it was in about '00, and got it. I played for about four hours the first day I had it, just running around doing quests in the Hub. It was the most immersive game I'd ever played at that point.
fuck
Sebastian
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Sebastian »

Great topic ....

*does the Wayne's World disolve* Doddle Lu Doddle Lu Doddle Lu ....

I was in Computer World (at least that's what I think the name of the place was, they were purchased by Comp USA soon after) and I was in the RPG section. I loved this store because they just had sooo much at low prices. So I'm looking for a good RPG and I see the box. I remember it was a rectangle with a flip up cover. I remember thinking how cool it looked.

Now, for the longest time I played hack and slash style RPG games. I'd never touched one with guns before. So I wasn't sure if ther box was going to deliver the goods. But i broke down and decided to buy it anyway.

I must have cleared out the rats outside the Vault 50 times before I really found a character I liked. Shady Sands must have thought we were some crazed cult in the hills, they saw so many Vault Dwellers.

Making characters in Fallout One was so much fun.

So getting the sequel when it came out was a no brainer. I have the Temple of Trials down to a science. I always gain a level in there.

Sebastian of the Wastes
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

June 27, 2001. I remember because it was the last day of school. Went home, installed it, played it ad nauseum. Twas fun.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Christmas 2000. - got Fo1

Dec 27th - Finished Fo1

Dec 28th - Got Fo2

some 8months later - finished Fo2.
BlackDog
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by BlackDog »

I remember first playing the DEMO.

I couldn't get enough of it and played it several times over that entire day.

I couldn't wait till the game came out.

:D
Sankis
Respected
Respected

Post by Sankis »

January of '03 I was extremely bored, as I always am. I remember a friend of mine having talked about Fallout 2 before, and I always thought it was a diablo type clickfest type game, which was also when I thought FO:T was a FPS. He didn't explain it very well. I looked it up on kazaa and downloaded it. At first I hated it as I had no clue what to do, but then grew to love it. I bought the dual jewel a few days later.
Blane
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Blane »

I bought fallout 2 in '98 when i was in my last year of school and craped out on my exams because of it, but just 2 months later i found an orignal fallout 1 in it's box and bought it and im still replaying them to this day.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Don't remember anything exact, like dates and stuff, because I was kinda young when my uncle brought me Fallout2 as a Christmas present. Some Russian guy had recommended it to him yadi yadi yadi and he thought I might like it because of the sex & violence and shit.

At first, I didn't understand anything about it. It looked real complex (of course my lack of skills in English might've had something to do with it as well) and I put i tdown after 15 minutes of trying. Then, something like 2 or 3 months later, I picked it up again and decided to give it a try, because I had nothing else to play at that moment. Been hooked ever since.

Also got myself Fallout 1 as bundled software with a gaming magazine for ~6-7 bucks. One of the best deals I've ever made.
Blizzard
Respected
Respected

Post by Blizzard »

my first FO2 experiance was interesting. I killed hakunin for some reason, i d k. But when I restarted i spent forever in klamath, almost 2 hours for some strange reason, tryin to take in the beauty and depth of this game.
Schala...I've missed you so...NO!
You must not climb death peak
You wouldnt make it very far anyway..
It has to be the right time...
and THEY...
THEY have to show you...the way
lugerman
SDF!
SDF!

Post by lugerman »

Oh.. so many years ago...
I remember seeing a review of fallout 2 in pc gamer, then saw it in this leaflet of games my grandad was going to get games from (you buy 5, you get them cheap kinda dealy, it must have been around '98, as he bought Half life too)
My grandad loved the game so much, he said the cd didnt actually come, so they sent another to him, and gave it to me \o/
I think he likes it more than i do.... he even bought a guide for it.

Then we go fallout 1

Good times...
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Excuse me??

Your *grandpops*? This is just something great :) How old is he?
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

I remember playing the Fallout demo and my first impression was how awesome the graphics were. Then I got into a fight with an old guy and killed half the town.
lugerman
SDF!
SDF!

Post by lugerman »

He's about 55-58, yeah, he's great.

I think he's playing throgh call of duty right now, he just finished all ov AvP2, something he used to play alot was the aliens game on the saturn, and duke nukem, and that exhumed game, that rocked.

Goes to show you can be any age and still play games :)
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

I wish my granparents were like that... Hell, I wish my *parents* were like that! :)
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

One of my old friend's dad was like that. My dad is real cool, but I still envy that kid.
Maximus
Regular
Regular

Post by Maximus »

I don't remeber the exact day, but one day in 7th grade CloudNineGT came over talking about some game he had been into for awhile, He had been playing fallout one for atlest a year or two and installed it on my computer. It was such a cool game, we went to new reno at my grandmother's house and became a prize fighter.

I thank you again friend.
CloudNineGT
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by CloudNineGT »

Not a day goes by I dont regret my decision.
Maximus
Regular
Regular

Post by Maximus »

Stainless wrote:Christmas 2000. - got Fo1

Dec 27th - Finished Fo1

Dec 28th - Got Fo2

some 8months later - finished Fo2.
You beat it in 2 days?! Daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn!
Our Host!