The Fall/Fallout 3 Progress Newsletter

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

The Fall/Fallout 3 Progress Newsletter

Post by Mad Max RW »

<strong>[Company -> Update]</strong>

<html><body><P><B>Carsten Strehse</B> of <!-- BBCode Start --><A HREF="http://www.silver-style.com/" TARGET="_blank">Silver Style</A><!-- BBCode End --> decided to start a <A HREF=http://www.the-fall.com/e/index.php?menu=newsletter target=_blank>newsletter</A> to keep people updated on where they are with <A HREF=http://www.the-fall.com/e/index.php target=_blank>The Fall</A> development, aquiring the <B>Fallout</B> license, and ultimately making <B>Fallout 3</B>. You can sign up right <A HREF=http://www.the-fall.com/e/index.php?menu=newsletter target=_blank>here</A>.</P><P>In the <!-- BBCode Start --><A HREF="http://www.silver-style.com/forum/index.php" TARGET="_blank">forums</A><!-- BBCode End --> anyone interested was asked to design their own NPC, and if it’s good might actually make it into the game. You can read the directions and submit your NPC at <!-- BBCode Start --><A HREF="http://www.silver-style.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1454" TARGET="_blank">this post</A><!-- BBCode End -->.</P><P>Also, to tie up the past few days of <A HREF=http://www.the-fall.com/e/index.php target=_blank>The Fall</A> news, <A HREF=http://www.nma-fallout.com/ target=_blank>NMA</A> conducted an <A HREF=http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=3367 target=_blank>interview with Carsten</A>. I can’t reach the site right now, but be sure check in later if you haven’t seen it.</P></body></html>
Cyphers
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Cyphers »

Who the heck are these guys? Should the FO license default to them just because they're currently working on a post-apoc RPG? I mean, not to say they couldn't do it, but it seems like all they've got going for them is enthusiasm for the source material. Have they shipped any products of note?
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

i can honestly say i dont want silver style anywhere near the fallout license. after that terrible terrible gorasul game they shouldnt be allowed to make rpg games anymore.
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:
Mihail
Regular
Regular

Post by Mihail »

I say that unless they are going to scrap what they are currently working on story wise, or make a new game, then no, don't try to somehow in corperate FO into another PA sort of game
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

They're not trying to build it into The Fall, they're just trying to get the rights to make it in and of itself.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

They're last game was Soldiers of Anarchy, which is a pretty good 3d tactical type thing. But Silver Style acquiring Fallout is becoming a very real possibility. At the very least they might get a few Black Isle people.
I say that unless they are going to scrap what they are currently working on story wise, or make a new game, then no, don't try to somehow in corperate FO into another PA sort of game
Who said they would incorporate Fallout with another game? The Fall is their own creation, and will not change based on what happens with the FO license. I suggest waiting until TF is out early next year before deciding if Silver Style deserves a shot. And even if they do get to make FO3 it'll be at least a year before we see anything.
Ghetto Goose
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Ghetto Goose »

Plus they said they were considering hiring former BISers to work for them. Maybe if they bought the fo3 license they could have virtually the same people working on it?

After seeing the screenies I'm not so much against them making it.
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

Ghetto Goose wrote:Plus they said they were considering hiring former BISers to work for them. Maybe if they bought the fo3 license they could have virtually the same people working on it?
Since some weren't fired and others already have jobs lined up, I'd say that's virtually impossible.
Literacy is overated.
Ghetto Goose
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Ghetto Goose »

How much longer is Interplay gonna last, anyway? The BIS guys who are still there are gonna be gone eventually. Maybe if Silver Style talks with them before IPLY tanks they'll end up there.
Seve9
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Seve9 »

This is rich, they didn't want to sell to Troika but now they're entertaining deals with a foreign company, and FOPOS isn't even out of the door. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Mad Max RW wrote:They're last game was Soldiers of Anarchy, which is a pretty good 3d tactical type thing. But Silver Style acquiring Fallout is becoming a very real possibility. At the very least they might get a few Black Isle people.
OMFG! I CAN'T WAIT!

I mean, we're talking about the guys behind Gorasul, the fabulous BG clone that no one liked! The guys who don't know what turn based is! The guys making their own Fallout clone now - without a speech skill! Making Fallout 3! Goddamn, wouldn't that be fucking DREAMY?

But wait, there's MORE! They're also going to have the exBIS guys who either weren't smart enough to leave BIS in the first place, or didn't have enough talent to get a job elsewhere! HOORAY!

It just gets better AND better!
------------------
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

All right, kids, GEOGRAPHY LESSON!

Okay, see the part marked "North America"? Right, the BIS guys are to the left of that bit. And see that other one marked "Europe"? That where Germany and Silver Style are. Extra credit for whoever can point out the obvious here.

What's that, little Jimmy? They're thousands of miles apart? Well done! You're gonna pass this class, I'm sure of it.

Lesson 2: Why It Wouldn't Work Anyways

Exhibit A:

This game sucked.

Exhibit B:

This game also sucked.

Exhibit C:

This game, which might maybe have been good under JE Sawyer to unsuckify it up a bit, would suck heartily with the perpetrators and more importantly the fans of Exhibit A and Exhibit B directing development.

What have we learned here? Basically, FO3 is dead. Get over it. There may be an extremely small chance of it coming back, but it sure as fuck isn't coming from Germany. I'm betting this is all a publicity stunt by Silver Style.

Next year, people are wandering through their local EB. They see "The Fall". "Hey, The Fall, isn't that from that company that hired those BIS guys?" "Yeah, I think this is supposed to be like Fallout 3 but with a different name for legal stuff." "Oh, cool, let's get it, Herve." "Sounds like a plan, Darth Molitor!"
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Post by EvoG »

Mad Max RW wrote:They're last game was Soldiers of Anarchy, which is a pretty good 3d tactical type thing. But Silver Style acquiring Fallout is becoming a very real possibility. At the very least they might get a few Black Isle people.
How do you get "very real possibility" from "we love fallout and would love to have the license".

People in this industry would only relocate way out of their way to another state, let alone another country, if A) the company offering the job was ginormous and cool and well known or B) they were strapped for cash and has ZERO job offers. Otherwise they're staying right where the industry is at. I had job offers from pretty big companies, and just couldn't bring myself to relocate, for the simple fact that I didn't want to live anywhere else...sure thats me, but then think about moving across the globe versus just California.

This scenario is just not gonna happen...but believe me, this is a good thing...from track records alone, I'd want Troika to do it, and thats a maybe ( man we have very little rpg dev choices don't we?! ). Beyond that, you guys won't be satisfied with another FO from anyone else. Its not just about the FO universe, its about the people that created it...the humor, the storytelling ability, the dialog. The talent made the game, not the other way around.

Cheers
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

I'm 99% sure it's never gonna happen. I would be at 100% if they weren't talking with Black Isle people, who have also been showing a lot of interest. At least Silver Style is serious about getting the license. They've said much more than just "we love fallout", but I don't think it's worth getting everybody worked up over something that will most likely never materialize. NMA did a pretty good job of that, no offense. I support them, but I don't like dealing with that sort of crap anymore. It gives me headaches.

But if you guys need something else to get all excited over for no fucking reason, then be my guest.
EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Post by EvoG »

Mad Max RW wrote:They've said much more than just "we love fallout"
Well sure, but unless they're talking to IPLY about a serious acquisition, thats all they might as well be saying. Anyone can talk to a developer ( or ex-developer ) these days on any forum, so that doesn't mean anything at all, but I hear ya...you're right, time for folks to let this one go unless IPLY proves us otherwise.

Oh, and I hear a lot of you saying that its stupid for IPLY to not make FO3 because it will make them a lot of money. You guys ever consider that no matter how much of a fan you are, that there's a possibility that after all the costs of development and marketing ( on any level ) that FO3 might not make them any money? They sold what, 150,000 copies of FO2? Thats not a lot, and for a company that desperately needs money, they need more then to just cut even, they need company saving profit.

Just for the sake of argument, imagine you were 20 grand in debt, possibly risk losing your house and car. You make cookies for a bake sale, and you have your die hard fans who love your chocolate-chili powder cookies, but there's a majority that you know will 'probably' like your regular chocolate chip cookies. There's a chance that you 'might' sell enough of the chocolate chili cookies to cover the costs of baking, packaging, driving, setting up the kiosk, pay rent on the kiosk, whatever. You're still in debt when all is said and done. Now imagine that you could sell 3 times as many chocolate chip cookies...you could cover your development costs, but now can sink the extra profit into your debt. Sure the top seller at the sale sole 40 times the cookies you sold, but you sold enough to help your situation. Point is that when you're hurting like that, you take what you feel will be your best chance to survive when indeed you can't afford to take many or any chances at all.

ADD : I forgot to mention in the above example, that you can only afford the resources to make one cookie or the other, not both.

Cheers
Raymondo
Pussy Lord
Pussy Lord

Post by Raymondo »

In other words EvoG just made Fallout Fans look stupid.

I bet Interplay are looking down on us thinking 'thats a stupid idea you dumbfuck' like we are doing to them.
EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Post by EvoG »

Not sure I understand what you're saying. I'm a Fallout Fan myself ( why do you think I came to DaC? ). But I'm also pragmatic. Its one thing to be distraught that a sequel to your favorite game is never going to be made, and its another thing to understand why things are sometimes. Sure its fun to get caught up in all the ruckus and bash on IPLY, but it takes paranoia to honestly think IPLY is refusing to make FO3 to flip off the fans. These guys are on the verge of being 'Out of Business', and are desperate...they don't have any ROOM to fuck with fans in some derisive, evil way.

All I did was offer some insight as to 'why' they made their decisions...not that those decisions are good or bad, wise or errant. They're making, more or less, 'Life and Death' decisions...did they choose poorly? Red or Blue pill? Thats the gamble folks, and what I wrote is what they're more than likely thinking.

Just to clarify, SOME fans are indeed stupid, especially here on DaC ( you know who you are ;) ), but otherwise don't paraphrase something inflammatory when you know I'm not saying that at all.

Cheers
Raymondo
Pussy Lord
Pussy Lord

Post by Raymondo »

Not sure I understand what you're saying.
Nether do I

I saw a chance to call people stupid so I went for it.

EDIT: Sorry for that little out burst. I just had two exams and I'm a little bit tired and a little bit wired
EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Post by EvoG »

Hehehe, I dig it. :D

Cheers
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

EvoG should make FO3!
He'd already have screenshots!