John Deiley spills the beans on FO3's story

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Post by EvoG »

Kashluk wrote:blah blah....not any bit more than your post. Actually, I think "this might be the only time" when you're not acting like a prick.
in reference to...
EvoG wrote:blah blah...Otherwise yeah Kash, for once you're right ( I think this might be the only time that I recall even )...
Yea thats real awful huh? :roll:
Last edited by EvoG on Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

Right so its entirely implausible for a settlement to have a facility for holding perpetrators of minor crimes? Or perhaps the pc has been tried, convicted and awaits execution when they're abducted and put into some other cell, which mysteriously gets attacked?

The opening plot isnt exactly awe-inspiring and the inclusion of "hunter killer robots" somewhat reminds me of the end of Fo:T. From the very limited description given in the interview the level of influence of the PC is quite refreshing, having whole institutions affected by your actions which arn't directly related to the main plot but may have influence upon the way. Knock on effects of obviously and subtle choices are what would make or break the game for RPG fans.

Unfortunately the plot doesn't have the same grip as fallout nor fallout 2's. There is very little motivation for the main plot to progress. You escape and are on the run, ok...keep running then. Why does the PC give a crap about doing these other quests when he can settle down with a wife and get some baby mutants elsewhere? Fo had the premise of doing everything to save the vault and it progressed with good plot twists to keep the player on edge. Fo2 had a very similar plot, go out to save your village using ancient tech, oh n0ez t3h badies have taken me women, lets go get em. As plots go we're not talking severe twists, but the stories within the story are what counts.

I agree that this start plot has rather a lot to be desired in terms of "fallout-ness" and "give a shit" value. But until you see first hand the main plot, the interweaving with sub-quests and the rest of the atmosphere generated by the game, you can't judge effectively. Extrapolate on what you have, but its impossible to say whether it would have sucked or not.

We'll never know how this turns out as you'll never get the intended version of FO3 released. It may be picked up by a different dev, maybe with some of the original team working on it, but not the whole team. A shame, but life goes on.
"And when he gets to heaven
To St. Peter he will tell
one more soldier reporting, Sir.
I've served my time in hell."
Cry Havoc! and let slip the dogs of War.
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

FireWolf wrote:I agree that this start plot has rather a lot to be desired in terms of "fallout-ness" and "give a shit" value. But until you see first hand the main plot, the interweaving with sub-quests and the rest of the atmosphere generated by the game, you can't judge effectively. Extrapolate on what you have, but its impossible to say whether it would have sucked or not.
Yeah, that's the important bit right there. There really isn't anything special about "You need to get a chip to fix the computer" either...
Literacy is overated.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

JJ86 wrote:I think it has been stated before, every idea is cliched. So what?
Sure, *cliched*, but not an absolute cliche. PS: Torment uses the old prison break too, basically, but it made a number of changes to the old formula (different setting, changes to the setup) and the events immediately following the 'prison break' are completely different from what you'd expect. From the looks of it, F3 is just a standard prison break and huntdown from a bunch of meanies. Stuff happens later, I'm sure, but big woo, we're looking at the initial setup.
OTB wrote:f you're taking exception w/JD's communication skills why don't you say so? Let's look at your argument: blah blah blah
Not really, I'm just stating that it is his job to describe the game. The way he laid things out, it's boring. All I'm saying is, John is trying to put things in a good light here, and he failed. That backs up my points a lot, actually. If there's not much worth advertising, then barring any outright lies, the advertisement will be invariably bad, no? Who knows, maybe F3 would be great in the plot department, but we're only judging his version of it, since there's nothing else to judge. I don't really know what you're going on about there OTB.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Our Host!