John Deiley spills the beans on FO3's story

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Briareus
I Make Games!
I Make Games!

Post by Briareus »

I don't quite understand how some people can pass judgement on the story/start of the game based on John's description. He merely gave a, "You see this, then this happens, then you do this, then this, then this happens." type description. He didn't go into any detail on the setup, imagery, music, dialogue, etc., and he skipped over quite of bit of content that takes place between waking up and getting outside.
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

Well, I think OTB has the right idea.
Literacy is overated.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Briareus wrote:I don't quite understand how some people can pass judgement on the story/start of the game based on John's description...He didn't go into any detail on the setup, imagery, music, dialogue, etc., and he skipped over quite of bit of content that takes place between waking up and getting outside.
Yes, but some people seem content to bash based on fragmented info.

May I remind you, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, that a producer who saw High Noon w/o its musical score said that it was garbage. Considering that the movie went on to make cinematic history and is still entertaining to watch today it should give some indication of how even one omitted factor can quickly skew the equation. You can extrapolate for yourselves how wild any conjecture based on the skeletal description that JD gave must be.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Cath0de
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Cath0de »

Hrm...I think this is actually kind of good news. LET ME SPEAK BEFORE THE FLAMES!

Now most of agree that this plot in essence, though maybe not in execution, is a mish-mash of previous BIS games (memory lapse - PST, jail break out - BG2, chased by whatever - NWN not BIS but close :? ). Now most of us also agree on another point - FO2, though a respectable game, did not match FO.

Ask yourself, what is the solution to both these problems? What new games studio has already proven itself to be a great RPG producer?

Troika picks up the FO license. Now we know IPLY is strapped for cash and since it seems to be concentrating on console products, there is a high probability that the FO PC license will be sold.

Now let's talk about Troika and its work. TOEE wasn't great, but keep in mind that they shipped that game in an 18 month time frame and it incorporated some wonderful ideas and conventions. Arcanum speaks for itself, a massive, deep RPG that, maybe if paced a little better and a few quirks were adressed, would be recorded as one of the great RPGs of all time.

Imagine what Troika, led by the 3 people who led the original FO design time, could do with the proper time and resources if given the FO license. Tim Cain has already proven himself to be an incredible story writer and project lead, and could most definitely steer FO3 (or it's equivalent...maybe the next PC fallout game isn't a direct sequel of the originals) in the right direction.

Just food for thought. I trust Troika.
~The only thing infinite is our capacity for self-deception.~
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Cath0de wrote:Hrm...I think this is actually kind of good news. LET ME SPEAK BEFORE THE FLAMES!

Now most of agree that this plot in essence, though maybe not in execution, is a mish-mash of previous BIS games (memory lapse - PST, jail break out - BG2, chased by whatever - NWN not BIS but close :? ). Now most of us also agree on another point - FO2, though a respectable game, did not match FO.

Ask yourself, what is the solution to both these problems? What new games studio has already proven itself to be a great RPG producer?

Troika picks up the FO license. Now we know IPLY is strapped for cash and since it seems to be concentrating on console products, there is a high probability that the FO PC license will be sold.

Now let's talk about Troika and its work. TOEE wasn't great, but keep in mind that they shipped that game in an 18 month time frame and it incorporated some wonderful ideas and conventions. Arcanum speaks for itself, a massive, deep RPG that, maybe if paced a little better and a few quirks were adressed, would be recorded as one of the great RPGs of all time.

Imagine what Troika, led by the 3 people who led the original FO design time, could do with the proper time and resources if given the FO license. Tim Cain has already proven himself to be an incredible story writer and project lead, and could most definitely steer FO3 (or it's equivalent...maybe the next PC fallout game isn't a direct sequel of the originals) in the right direction.

Just food for thought. I trust Troika.
Jesus Christ how many times must it be said. TROIKA WILL NOT PICK UP THE FALLOUT LICENSE. Tim Cain has stated, many times, that Troika cannot afford to buy the license. The only way they'd get it is if a publisher bought it and offered it to Troika.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

OTB wrote:May I remind you, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, that a producer who saw High Noon w/o its musical score said that it was garbage. Considering that the movie went on to make cinematic history and is still entertaining to watch today it should give some indication of how even one omitted factor can quickly skew the equation. You can extrapolate for yourselves how wild any conjecture based on the skeletal description that JD gave must be.
First off, we're talking about shitty computer games, not movies. And really, it's going to be the plot and the gameplay that would make or break Fallout 3 and we've seen glimpses of both of those. Fill in the gaps all you like, but the bear bones - what we've seen - mean a lot.

Finally, ever hear of a sales pitch? Since John Deiley was trying to advertise Fallout 3 in a way, if Fallout 3 is better than it sounds, then fuck him; he did a shitty job telling us about it.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

atoga wrote:First off, we're talking about shitty computer games, not movies.
First off, it was an analogy. I'm not saying that FO3 would have been a revotionary or otherwise historically significant game, merely that it's happened before that landmark works have been snubbed when seen w/o all components. This goes for anything from architecture to zoological classifications. How hard is it to see?

Secondly, if you think these games are so shitty it says volumes about you that you sit around and harp about them. I really don't know why some of you are going out of your way to snub FO3, especially in your case since you think it, and others in the same medium, are just "shitty computer games".
atoga wrote:And really, it's going to be the plot and the gameplay that would make or break Fallout 3 and we've seen glimpses of both of those. Fill in the gaps all you like, but the bear bones - what we've seen - mean a lot.
"Glimpses" lead people to believe an elephant is a tree.

It's also you who's filling in the gaps when you say that it would have sucked. I'm merely saying "insufficient data for a meaningful answer". Why harp about how a highly anticipated game that has been shelved and will likely not see the light of day would have sucked?
atoga wrote:Finally, ever hear of a sales pitch? Since John Deiley was trying to advertise Fallout 3 in a way, if Fallout 3 is better than it sounds, then fuck him; he did a shitty job telling us about it.
Relevance = zero/nil/Null/dick

If you're taking exception w/JD's communication skills why don't you say so? Let's look at your argument:

JD did poor job describing FO3 ergo it sucks.

Does that make sense to anyone else? If it did, those persons are urged to stop sniffing their magic markers and check into Fallacies of Relevance. Failing that, they are urged to report to the nearest Euthanasia Center.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Grimnar
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Grimnar »

I say ! Cricket anyone?
"We have OH SHIT I HEAR THE ICE CREAM TRUCK!!!!!111!1111oneone-scorpions" -Chucky Cuevas
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

OnTheBounce wrote:*snip
Granted, we know nothing about the actual plot of the game itself. That may have been really neato. But the point is that waking up in a prison and having the wall destroyed by some mysterious unknown is cliche and a bit lame.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Spazmo wrote:Granted, we know nothing about the actual plot of the game itself. That may have been really neato. But the point is that waking up in a prison and having the wall destroyed by some mysterious unknown is cliche and a bit lame.
I think it has been stated before, every idea is cliched. So what?
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

I'm going to go ahead and disagree. There are fresh ideas out there. If there aren't, we may as well quit this whole culture thing right now.

Besides, even if there are no new ideas, do they have to use one that they themselves have used before?
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

Spazmo wrote:Besides, even if there are no new ideas, do they have to use one that they themselves have used before?
That's what we normally refer to as experience. Anything else is inspiration.
Literacy is overated.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

In this modern world, where almost nothing is forgotten and new material is born each minute, there is no room for anything purely "new". All things we consider new are mixes and rip-offs of earlier ideas, there's only a limited amount of usable letters, notes, tunes, sentences, lines, riffs and whatever you can call "bricks & tools of building a house of culture".

One could get real nasty about all this, saying that there have been no new PC game ideas since the first PC game, because all new PC games have some similarities to the basic principles of the first one. Or one could go even further and say, there has been nothing new since the invention of the wheel, because there are round forms, calculations including pi and circulating objects in almost everything we develope today.

But concerning the original topic, the background story didn't really turn me on either. Not that it was "cliche" or "used" or anything, but more like because it doesn't seem to have the original Vault13-feeling anymore. Here we are, saving the world in Fo1 & descendants of a great hero in Fo2, but then we're suddenly thrown into some weird ass-fucking prison, which we escape from, and then start wandering in the wasteland. What kind of wasteland HAS prisons to begin with? Ugh, anyways, it doesn't feel really Fallouty to me. Sounds more like Fo:T.
EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Post by EvoG »

I like pi, but not all pi. Key lime rocks..sometimes, depends on the tartness.
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

Mr. Coffee wrote:The only way they'd get it is if a publisher bought it and offered it to Troika.
Someone care to explain me why this isn't feasible? I know if I was a publisher who just acquired the FO license, I'd make a beeline to Troika.
EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Post by EvoG »

Curious how some of you *cough*KASH*cough* find it improbable there would be functioning prisons ( they're fortresses for crying out loud...doesn't take much to lock someone up ), plus...who's to say that it isn't some make-shift containment facility rather than a REAL prison?

Sheesh...talk about picking apart silly shiznitz.

Otherwise yeah Kash, for once you're right ( I think this might be the only time that I recall even ), that it isn't the 'idea' that doesn't work as much as the Fallout-y feeling just isn't there.

MMmMmmmmmm.....Key Lime 3.14159

*sigh*

Cheers
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

- useless crap -
Last edited by Kashluk on Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Post by EvoG »

Err...I didn't saying anything offensive to you. I even agreed with you.

Prick.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

- useless crap -
Last edited by Kashluk on Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

Ahahaha! I love this place.
Literacy is overated.
Our Host!