The Fall/Fallout 3 Progress Newsletter

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

Spazmo wrote:Graphics are kind of like the tools an artist has while the art is what the artist does with the tools.
Actually, I'd say the art is more like the paint, and the graphics are what you get when the graphics engine turns the art into the painting.

Err... what are we talking about?
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

Sarge wrote:*stuff*
The point, you gimp, is that all of BIS is not spontaneously going to move to fucking Germany just because Strehsen thinks he's hot shit. It's just not going to happen.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Spazmo wrote:The point, you gimp, is that all of BIS is not spontaneously going to move to fucking Germany just because Strehsen thinks he's hot shit. It's just not going to happen.
Why would they have to move to Germany? I'm no expert on business models by any stretch of the imagination, but I imagine that people sitting on opposite sides of the Atlantic could accomplish quite a bit w/secure DSL connections. I mean, here was me thinking that in the Information Age "location, location, location!" didn't mean a whole hell of a lot anymore.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Post by EvoG »

OnTheBounce wrote:Why would they have to move to Germany? I'm no expert on business models by any stretch of the imagination, but I imagine that people sitting on opposite sides of the Atlantic could accomplish quite a bit w/secure DSL connections. I mean, here was me thinking that in the Information Age "location, location, location!" didn't mean a whole hell of a lot anymore.

OTB
Thats exactly right...hell, doesn't even need to be secure...just a good instant messenger and an FTP and you're gold. I'm in Chicago, clients on the west coast...contractors out of Britain ( HI OTB!! ). So yea, I'm fairly certain this is a long distance love affair.

Cheers

Edited by OTB to get rid of double post:
Spazmo wrote:
Sarge wrote:*stuff*
God this made me laugh for a while...maybe I'm tired but "Sarge says Stuff" just cracked my ass up.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

EvoG wrote:Thats exactly right...hell, doesn't even need to be secure...just a good instant messenger and an FTP and you're gold. I'm in Chicago, clients on the west coast...contractors out of Britain ( HI OTB!! ). So yea, I'm fairly certain this is a long distance love affair.
Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, there you have it!

Add to this equation various types of postal carriers for x-fering contracts -- paychecks don't even enter the equation since this is the age of electronic funds x-fers -- and it really sounds like it's very much feasible. (Silver Style is also in a good position to hire workers paid in $US since the Euro is very strong right now.)

I really don't know why some people are being so skeptical about this from a logistical point of view. Looking at Silver Style's gaming track record and wondering aloud whether they will be able to do FO3 justice should they get the license is one thing, but simply nay-saying on account of geography doesn't seem to make much sense.

BTW, Evog, am I to take it that you think I'm British? If that's the case, I'm flattered, but I'm actually in the "good ol' US of A". :D

OTB
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

Nevertheless, telecommuting doesn't work as well as being there in person. Time zone differences, the inability to talk directly and the communication barrier that the Internet usually is impede things.

Besides that, Silver Style and Puuk suck anyways.

RPG Codex
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Spazmo wrote:Nevertheless, telecommuting doesn't work as well as being there in person. Time zone differences, the inability to talk directly and the communication barrier that the Internet usually is impede things.
I'm not saying that it's no impediment. All I'm saying is that it's eminantly possible. No relocaton required.
Spazmo wrote:Besides that, Silver Style and Puuk suck anyways.
Perhaps, but ad hominem arguements don't win anything outside of playground shouting matches. (Er...and elections, but that's another issue altogether...)

OTB
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

Fair enough.

Silver Style sucks because of Soldiers of Anarchy and Gorasul, both truly BAD games.

Puuk sucks because of IWD2--the only game he's really worked that's been released--sucks. Granted, he has a credit on some Baldur's Gate games, but not only is the quality of those games disputable but we all know that BIS did exactly fuckall on the BG games.

RPG Codex
Sarge
Perpetual SDF

Post by Sarge »

Oh come on, Spasmo. Now you're gonna question the quality of BGII? Get real.
Look, I don't know why you're being such a jackass but could you do the rest of us a favor and THINK before you type for a change?
I like infinity engines games!! I drool on myself constantly!!
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

Think before I type? Care to point out exactly what you don't agree with?

BGII may not have been a great RPG, but it was a decent game and I enjoyed playing it. But everything Puuk himself has done (IWD2) and much of what Silver Style has done (Gorasul and Soldiers of Anarchy) sucks.

RPG Codex
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Sarge wrote:Oh come on, Spasmo. Now you're gonna question the quality of BGII? Get real.
Look, I don't know why you're being such a jackass but could you do the rest of us a favor and THINK before you type for a change?
BGII is trash as roleplaying games go, so what's your point? Compared to the shitty FO3 plot that was offered, BG is far below that. Not to mention the piss poor gameplay.

Just because you can play good ol' Dungeons & Dragons on your computer does not mean it's good.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Sarge
Perpetual SDF

Post by Sarge »

atoga wrote:
Sarge wrote:Oh come on, Spasmo. Now you're gonna question the quality of BGII? Get real.
BGII is trash as roleplaying games go, so what's your point? Compared to the shitty FO3 plot that was offered, BG is far below that. Not to mention the piss poor gameplay.

Just because you can play good ol' Dungeons & Dragons on your computer does not mean it's good.
And yet, it sold very well. And people still make mods for it. (go look at www.teambg.net if you don't belive me). They must have done something right, don't you think? Don't go calling something trash just becasue you prefer something else; that's not very smart.
Sure, FO had a less linear plot. Fine, FO was the better RPG. No argument here. But you look like a fool when you say things like "BGII is trash" becasue it wasn't trash.
Spasmo, perhaps Puuk is incompitent (or as you so 'elequently' put it "He Sucks") and perhaps everything he does is garbage. And yet, he's the one employed in the industry. And let's say for the sake of argument that all the games you think are crap are actualy crap. Fine: What's the last game development project YOU were employed at? None? If you think you can do better, then do so. Otherwise, shut you pie hole becasue you're giveing the rest of us RPG fans a bad reputation. If you don't have something constructive to add, nobody wants to hear it.
Last edited by Sarge on Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lunchmeat
Strider
Strider

Post by Lunchmeat »

BGII is trash though. I played it for a half hour and I haven't touched it since. The "you shouldn't say it sucks just because you don't like it" argument is crap, as if there was another way to evaluate that kind of thing. BGII is boring shit, that's my opinion.
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

Sarge wrote: perhaps Puuk is incompitent (or as you so 'elequently' put it "He Sucks") and perhaps everything he does is garbage. And yet, he's the one employed in the industry. And let's say for the sake of argument that all the games you think are crap are actualy crap. Fine: What's the last game development project YOU were employed at? None? If you think you can do better, then do so
How profound. I suppose this means that nobody can ever criticize a movie again, seeing as how, odds are one could not make a better movie?

Sarge wrote:Sure, FO had a less linear plot. Fine, FO was the better RPG. No argument here. But you look like a fool when you say things like "BGII is trash" becasue it wasn't trash.
atoga wrote:BGII is trash as roleplaying games go
READING COMPREHENSION IS FUN!

I concur wholeheartedly with atoga -- BG2 was a terrible RPG. One could call it a decent adventure game, but the player can in no way affect the story or make any decisions of his or her own. That means the game does not afford the player the choices necessary to create and fully play their own character. Ergo, it is a terrible RPG.

Don't go calling something trash just becasue you prefer something else; that's not very smart.
No, what's stupid is assuming that Spazmo and atoga hold Fallout and BG2 to be diametrically opposed, ie if one is good the other must be bad. If you can show me that they said that anywhere, I'll reconsider my opinion that you're a twit.

Otherwise, shut you pie hole becasue you're giveing the rest of us RPG fans a bad reputation
You had a good reputation in the first place? What would that be?

If you don't have something constructive to add, nobody wants to hear it.
I can taste the irony... my bad, that's bile.

Oh come on, Spasmo. Now you're gonna question the quality of BGII? Get real.
Could you do the rest of us a favor and put your keyboard away before you attempt to perform fellatio on yourself?
Sarge
Perpetual SDF

Post by Sarge »

OK, you people obviously don't want to listen to me when I tell you that you make all RPG fans look bad by association, so I'll leave you to wallow in your pubesent crapage.
When you grow up, perhaps you'll look at things a bit differently.
Lunchmeat
Strider
Strider

Post by Lunchmeat »

I want to be an astronaut when I grow up.
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

Sarge wrote:OK, you people obviously don't want to listen to me when I tell you that you make all RPG fans look bad by association,
When you grow up, perhaps you'll look at things a bit differently.
Again, what RPG fans? If you're referring to Fallout fans, they're notoriously vitriolic, so your point is bullshit. If you're referring to Bioware sycophants, you'd have to be fucking clueless to think anybody would associate Fallout fanboys with them in the first place. So again, your point would be bullshit.

The obvious answer is that you're futilely attempting to back up your baseless arguments with imaginary friends. When you grow up, perhaps you'll learn that it doesn't matter how many people agree with you, you're still an idiot. Especially when the people who agree with you don't exist.
I'll leave you to wallow in your pubesent crapage
Interestingly enough, the first thing that popped into my head when I started replying was "You know what would make Sarge's 'argument' (or lack thereof) even more self-defeating? Bullshit sniveling." Thanks.
EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Post by EvoG »

OnTheBounce wrote:BTW, Evog, am I to take it that you think I'm British? If that's the case, I'm flattered, but I'm actually in the "good ol' US of A". :D

OTB
Oh my mistake! I must have been mixing you up with Requiem...he's British no? Hehe, either way I'm also as red blooded as they come, born and raised in Chicago ( though I'd like to visit London some day :D ).

Nevermind! :lol:

Cheers
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

Sarge wrote:*cretinous ranting*
You're a moron. BG2 is a poor CRPG. Anyone who actually knows what an CRPG is knows this. ANd anyone who uses the terribly old and tired "YEA WELL U COULDNT DO BETTAR LOL" argument hardly deserves to be argued with. Kindly fuck off, you gibbering idiot. I think Silver Style is currently looking to hire people like you.

RPG Codex
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

Spazmo SHUT UP!!! INFINITY ENGINE ROOLZ!!!
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
Our Host!