Broken quests, may contain spoilers

If you can't get the Fallout games to run the way you want, or are having trouble with bugs, here's the place to ask for help.
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

Why don't we include a list of unusable items, or items that have no quest purpose? Here's a start, if I'm wrong please correct me, and if you can think of more, add them.

Lighter
Chemistry Journals
Flowers
Shiv
Small Statuette
Ballgag
Blowup doll
Gold tooth
Radio - Vic does make a comment about this though
Waterchip

I'm unsure about the following:
Marked cards
Loaded dice
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

You need the radio to free Vic, non-violently, and the blow up doll is a quest item for Broken Hills. I suppose technically you could say the ball gag is a booby prize for losing the arm wrestling match in Broken Hills.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

No, there are two types of radio: Vic's Radio, which is found in his shack, and then just "Radio", which is found in a Navarro locker, near Raul iirc. Actually, I think there might be two places to find the "Radio", but I'm not quite sure. If you try to give the "Radio" to Vic, he says it's close, but he needs his own personal radio specifically.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

Small Statuette
What's this? Got a pic?
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

Blowup doll
That's actually used in a Broken Hills quest.
Literacy is overated.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

ExtremeDrinker wrote:
Small Statuette
What's this? Got a pic?
kill the wright children (the ones playing outside) and they will have the small statuettes of pipboy in their inventory.
InfinityBall
SDF!
SDF!

Post by InfinityBall »

I don't know if there was supposed to be a use for lighters or not, but they're good for cash and don't weigh anything. Useful loot.
Hatchen
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Hatchen »

How would you get the abby location? and how do you save the death claws? i never new you could!!
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

You can't. That's why they're broken.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

Howabout that one quest in the NCR where you are supposed to agree with Mira to help kill her husband. (bartender) I've never tried this one, is it broken?

and what about Doc Henry in the NCR, he says some stuff about the vault projects but abruptly stops, are there any quests involved with what he says?
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

Strap wrote:and what about Doc Henry in the NCR, he says some stuff about the vault projects but abruptly stops, are there any quests involved with what he says?
You need to have certain stats to get the quest. (Might be int or even science?).

He gives you a syringe that would kill a super mutant when used. After testing it, he will give you a cybernetic dog.
Blizzard
Respected
Respected

Post by Blizzard »

What about that painting in broken hills, in one of the houses, whats that for?
Schala...I've missed you so...NO!
You must not climb death peak
You wouldnt make it very far anyway..
It has to be the right time...
and THEY...
THEY have to show you...the way
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Strap wrote:Howabout that one quest in the NCR where you are supposed to agree with Mira to help kill her husband. (bartender) I've never tried this one, is it broken?
I don't know if it's broken or not, but I have run and told her about her husband's death in which case she rewarded me w/a H&K P90c. She says that she's been waiting for someone w/more brawn than brains to come along and do it for her. So I'd recommend that you try it w/an appropriate character. I believe it also involves climbing over the wall at night by way of a rope.
Strap wrote:and what about Doc Henry in the NCR, he says some stuff about the vault projects but abruptly stops, are there any quests involved with what he says?
Like Dan says, but I'll add that it's a 91% Science that you need in order to get this quest.

Incidentally, you can use the syringe on any SM you happen to run into.

Cheers,

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

OTB the Wise wrote:I don't know if it's broken or not, but I have run and told her about her husband's death in which case she rewarded me w/a H&K P90c. She says that she's been waiting for someone w/more brawn than brains to come along and do it for her. So I'd recommend that you try it w/an appropriate character. I believe it also involves climbing over the wall at night by way of a rope.
Yes it's done with a stupid character. I've been trying to activate the quest with a regular character, but no luck! I guess I could always pop some mentats and wait till the withdrawl sets in.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

Howabout Melchior Jr. and you finding his father in the military base... I never really tried, but is there some dialog/closure if you talk to his son after you... dispose of him?

Oh yea, that blue key card you get in Gecko is worthless, right? I always thought that you were supposed to be able to use it, or a rope on the crane in the gecko reactor room to supply access to the reactor from the Brain's caves or vise versa... never could get that to work. (the fo2 book says you can "lower the crane for another way into the reactor room")
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Strap wrote:Howabout Melchior Jr. and you finding his father in the military base... I never really tried, but is there some dialog/closure if you talk to his son after you... dispose of him?
No, you don't get any more dialogue options w/Melchior, Jr. after you've bumped his father off. Apparently that whole deal w/Melchior, Jr. was to hint at the the fact that the Enclave had abducted miners from Redding for their operation.
Strap wrote:Oh yea, that blue key card you get in Gecko is worthless, right?
No, that key will unlock the door that you come to if you enter Navarro through the ventilation shaft. (The door that you release the Deathclaw through.)
Strap wrote:I always thought that you were supposed to be able to use it, or a rope on the crane in the gecko reactor room to supply access to the reactor from the Brain's caves or vise versa... never could get that to work. (the fo2 book says you can "lower the crane for another way into the reactor room")
I've never heard anything about lowering the crane in the Gecko reactor room. However, the FO2 hintbook is full of inaccuracies, like most of those things, largely because they go to press before the game is actually finished.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Phias
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Phias »

Well the EPA and Abbey aren't really broken, they were unimplemented. There weren't any refrences to the Abbey in Fallout 2 that I know of.
Endure. In enduring, grow strong.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

OTB wrote:
Strap wrote:Oh yea, that blue key card you get in Gecko is worthless, right?
No, that key will unlock the door that you come to if you enter Navarro through the ventilation shaft. (The door that you release the Deathclaw through.)
Isn't that just one of those little mistakes with generic items? Like the keycard from the vertibird crash working with the doors at Gecko, or any other red/yellow cards you find working there also.
(ie, it isn't really intended to be for the door in navarro)
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

Rather the vertibird yellow card NOT working on anything.
swiver
SDF!
SDF!

Post by swiver »

what about the holy hand grenade quest?
And the ubologists' shuttle
Our Host!