Any other FO:T "treadheads" out there?

Like Tactics? Found a cool mod for another game that reminds you of Fallout? Playing those crappy spin-off console games called "Fallout"? Discuss here.
Viktor
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Any other FO:T "treadheads" out there?

Post by Viktor »

Just playing through the core missions for the nth time and am using the tank found in Newton to carry out a BOS/3rd Mech armoured recon of the parts of the map you can get the tank into.

Putting half my squad in the tank (1 Vindicator, 2 Plasma rifles) means I can deal with the pesky scurry bots found on the North side of the medical building without getting my troopers chewed up.

While they don't cause anything like the damage of a humanoid bot with a Vindicator/M2, the scurry bots are a real pain to deal with when your squad isn't equipped with PA and Pulse rifles. Even using standard "leapfrog" advancing and keeping your heavy weapons/burst fire troopers in front isn't totally successful against scurry bots as at least one will pop up between 2 or more squad members and Enviromental armour doesn't stand up to M2 fire very well...

Who else has used the tank tactically in the Newton mission??
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

I find the best tactics with scurry bots is to send a runner through an area with them in it and then draw them into an ambush. I generally use the tank near the start especially in the warehouse with the hoverbots. I rarely use the tank's weapons as they are difficult to get shells for and aren't all that effective against multiple enemeies. It works best as an armored shooting platform.
Ripper
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Ripper »

alternatively just run the bots over with the tank, i got 1 guy, on CTB and lure those insanely dumb scurries. Then i ran over all 5 of them. :lol:

The hidden APA is a nice bonus though.
Viktor
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Viktor »

Ripper wrote: The hidden APA is a nice bonus though.
Hidden APA in Newton?? Where??
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Viktor wrote:Hidden APA in Newton?? Where??
Check in the Reaver Barracks. It should be in a building along the northern edge of that complex. You'll have to figure out how to get in there, though, as it's something of a maze.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

Wow! something new. I might consider replaying...
Viktor
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Viktor »

OnTheBounce wrote:
Check in the Reaver Barracks. It should be in a building along the northern edge of that complex. You'll have to figure out how to get in there, though, as it's something of a maze.

OTB
Top gen, Old Bean!

I'll have my chaps drop in for a decko on their way back from demolishing the power nodes in Canyon City!
Ripper
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Ripper »

OnTheBounce wrote:

OTB
its hidden in a fridge and a ladder leads to it.
The trick is u cant see the ladder. U will have to move ur mouse around the spot until u see a climb down icon.
Viktor
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Viktor »

It took me about 10 minutes of running around until I spotted the ladder as the upper levels of the barracks appeared/disappeared.

After returning from Canyon City via Newton with loads of loot, I now have APA x 2 and PA x 4 for my squad which means they have half a chance of surviving pac bot encounters.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Viktor wrote:After returning from Canyon City via Newton with loads of loot, I now have APA x 2 and PA x 4 for my squad which means they have half a chance of surviving pac bot encounters.
I never go all out on PA/APA. I always have my medic/jack-of-all-trades in Enviro Armor (not Mk II, Stitch needs a PE ding like I need a new asshole) to avoid the heavier skill penalties and I keep one person in Tesla Armor to deal w/those pesky Security Bots. Their lasers are nasty and go through APA like a hot knife through butter, but w/Tesla armor you can get into a nice sniper duel w/them and walk away from it.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Viktor
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Viktor »

OnTheBounce wrote: I never go all out on PA/APA. I always have my medic/jack-of-all-trades in Enviro Armor (not Mk II, Stitch needs a PE ding like I need a new asshole) to avoid the heavier skill penalties and I keep one person in Tesla Armor to deal w/those pesky Security Bots. Their lasers are nasty and go through APA like a hot knife through butter, but w/Tesla armor you can get into a nice sniper duel w/them and walk away from it.

OTB
I hadn't considered using Telsa armour as I thought it only excelled against electrical damage... I'll have to get my favourite sniper one of these babies and go bot bashing!
Our Host!