The Gallows in Quincy

Like Tactics? Found a cool mod for another game that reminds you of Fallout? Playing those crappy spin-off console games called "Fallout"? Discuss here.
Fusion Cola
SDF!
SDF!

The Gallows in Quincy

Post by Fusion Cola »

Hi Folks,

I'm finishing up the Quincy mission, and I'm trying to get into the courtyard with the gallows, but I can't find the key, and lockpicking does no good. Does anyone know where the key is, or is there nothing in there worth going after anyways?

Oh, also, what does the key in Evita's room do? Or is that the courtyard key and it's just not working for me.

Thanks,

FC
Klaatu, Veraata...
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

There is no key for the doors to the courtyard w/the gallows. Both doors are set up so that picking the locks on them is impossible. Since the doors have Tag Names I would assume that there was something planned with that area that was never implemented.

The key in the room w/Evita is for the two doors leading to the room she is in. The door leading from the chamber w/the DCs in it is set to be 20% easier to pick than standard. However, the other door is set to be 10% harder. So I'd say it's a safeguard for people who don't bother to have a person skilled w/picking locks along.

BTW, there is a lot that wasn't implemented in this mission. The original vision for this mission called for it to be much, much more involved and to have the player's actions influence the outcome to a greater degree.

Cheers,

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

That mission is so hard to get right, once it took me 10 trys just to save stupid Felix...
Fusion Cola
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Fusion Cola »

That reminds me - is there any point to the area with the prostitutes, or is it more of the same (i.e. not implemented)?
Klaatu, Veraata...
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Strapon2 wrote:That mission is so hard to get right, once it took me 10 trys just to save stupid Felix...
This mission seems to be a wannabe Counter Strike mission and it's one of my least favorite of the early portion of the game. In CTB it is a very hard mission, that is, if you want to get everything right.

I hate the way they implemented the hostage situations here. Your squad dashes into a room and starts firing like crazy, and the enemy targets the hostages like you weren't even there, thanks to their lower ACs. In my own missions, whenever I've implemented something like this I have always made the enemy hate the player worse than the hostages. That way they target the player, unless the player's people are all out of sight, in which case the hostages get a lead enema.

Fusion Cola wrote:That reminds me - is there any point to the area with the prostitutes, or is it more of the same (i.e. not implemented)?
The prostitutes are implemented. Basically, it boils down to saving all of them for 400 xp, or some of them for 200 xp.

What I meant w/non-implemented things is, for instance, there were supposed to be civilians standing around at each of the areas where hostages were being held and they were supposed to react to how well you did w/that particular situation. It's all in the speech files, but the triggers weren't implemented and the entity work wasn't done. When you're done w/the game I'd recommend taking a look in them. It's very enlightening/revolting. :lol:

OTB
Viktor
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Viktor »

OnTheBounce wrote: I hate the way they implemented the hostage situations here. Your squad dashes into a room and starts firing like crazy, and the enemy targets the hostages like you weren't even there, thanks to their lower ACs. In my own missions, whenever I've implemented something like this I have always made the enemy hate the player worse than the hostages. That way they target the player, unless the player's people are all out of sight, in which case the hostages get a lead enema.
OTB
Damn! I always wondered why they Raiders started shooting up the prostitutes when my squad dashed into the cat house!

I found the only way to save all the prostitutes was to split my squad in half and have a sniper team take out the Raider sentries on the S and W side of the brothel while the "sneaky pistoleroes" in team B dash in throught the N door flinging .44 JHP like confetti! Having one or more Fast Shot in team B helps...

The most annoying thing about FO:T is that you can see that with another 6 months dev/QA time and a few implementation changes it could have been a great game rather than a fairly decent squad based RTS in a Fallout setting.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Viktor wrote:I found the only way to save all the prostitutes was to split my squad in half and have a sniper team take out the Raider sentries on the S and W side of the brothel while the "sneaky pistoleroes" in team B dash in throught the N door flinging .44 JHP like confetti! Having one or more Fast Shot in team B helps...
I used a similar plan. I had a sniper to the north, and one to the west. I would then send my people running into the north and south entrances, w/one Fast Shot using a low-AP pistol (Trevor w/.44 Mag. in the South, and Jax w/a Casull in the north). My Fast Shot sniper (main character) would help keep people pinned down from the north, while the other sniper (Farsight or Rage) was set to head shots from the west.
Viktor wrote:The most annoying thing about FO:T is that you can see that with another 6 months dev/QA time and a few implementation changes it could have been a great game rather than a fairly decent squad based RTS in a Fallout setting.
Yeah, I'd have to agree here. That and if the humor hadn't been quite so fucking juvenile. Don't even get me started on the scribe in the third bunker going on about the size of SM boogers, shit and genitals...

OTB
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

OnTheBounce wrote:Yeah, I'd have to agree here. That and if the humor hadn't been quite so fucking juvenile. Don't even get me started on the scribe in the third bunker going on about the size of SM boogers, shit and genitals...
Hey, I thought that was pretty funny! :p :lol:

I handled the brothel by sneaking a grenadier and sapper in the lower level, and letting them "do dere thang."

... or was that the building with some sleeping Deathclaws in it? I'm so confozzled...
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

I assume that in Quincy you were going to have to save someone from getting hanged at the last minute? I know there was a trapdoor entity that wasn't fully completed. Quincy had lots of interesting sub-battles and quests and stands as one of the better missions.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Max-Violence wrote:Hey, I thought that was pretty funny! :p :lol:
Well, I did say the humor was "juvenile". Didn't I? :p
Max-Violence wrote:I handled the brothel by sneaking a grenadier and sapper in the lower level, and letting them "do dere thang."
I remember I discovered that entrance purely by accident. I don't usually use the minimap so it wasn't until the 3rd or 4th time through the game that I accidentally ran my cursor over the stairs and found it that way. FoT should have included more alternate entraces like that.
JJ86 wrote:I assume that in Quincy you were going to have to save someone from getting hanged at the last minute?
I can't recall reading anything about a hanging in the speech files. However, most of the maps for FoT were designed w/MP in mind and were later adapted to SP, so it might be something that was simply done for flavor, being put in by the prison and all.

Those unfinished entities are maddening, though. Aren't they? Things like the extendable bridge from one of the Vault 0 maps...

OTB
[HpA]SniperPotato
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by [HpA]SniperPotato »

Maybe we could edit the missions to implement all this stuff. It'd give me a reason to go through single player again. I can do some junk, just tell me what.
Fallout Tactics multiplayer: COOPnet and MegaCOOP map pack
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Way to dig a dead thread.

The idea of doing something like that has been thrown around before. Things stopping it are that some things that haven't been implemented cannot be implemented due to the state the Pheonix engine is in, and because the download size for a fixed FoT would be really fucking huge.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Our Host!