PCGamer on Fallout 3

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

PCGamer on Fallout 3

Post by Mad Max RW »

<strong>[ -> N/A]</strong>

<html><body><P>It looks like all that complaining and coverage of a possible <I>Fallout 3</I> extended from our mindless online ramblings to the pages of one of the most popular gaming magazines out there. In next month’s issue of PCGamer they have a <A HREF=http://diogenes-lamp.info/images/fallout3lol.jpg target=_blank>short article</A> on the fans’ hatred toward Interplay, the upcoming <I>Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel</I>, and some recent evidence that Project Van Buren is, in fact, <I>Fallout 3</I>. It’s all things we already know, but here’s a clip anyway:</P><blockquote><em>�…The catalyst for this outpouring of unmitigated hated (directed at Interplay, thankfully, not yours truly) was merely my short commentary lambasting Interplay for releasing a console-only Fallout game, rather than the PC sequel to Fallout 2 that we’ve all been slobbering after now for years. To say you all agree with my feelings on the subject would be an understatement of epic proportions – though I hardly support the radical suggestion that the entire company be lined up against a wall and shot. (These are just games, people.)�</em></blockquote><P>Hmmm, sounds familiar.</P><blockquote><em>�…But there may be hope, even if it’s based on fleeting rumors and innuendo typed by some Black Isle employees on Interplay’s forums. Espoused by the various Fallout observers on their web sites, and aided by rampant speculation by hundreds of you out there, the rumor has spread that Fallout 3 for the PC may be in the works. Whether it will ever see the light of day is anyone’s guess, especially with Interplay’s current financial woes and the reported departure of Chris Avellone from Black Isle Studios (he’s the man responsible for Planescape: Torment, and the person many thought would be the lead designer of Fallout 3.)"</em></blockquote><P>Funny stuff. Thanks to axelgreese for the <A HREF=http://diogenes-lamp.info/images/fallout3lol.jpg target=_blank>article</A>.</P></body></html>
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

Hmm image linked up on JE's server?
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Re: PCGamer on Fallout 3

Post by Gimp Mask »

Mad Max RW wrote:(These are just games, people)
Yeah and books are just books, movies are just movies, paintings are just paintings (fuck you Van Gogh you fucking sellout, Sunflowers was NOT canon) and chop sticks are just fucking CHOP STICKS... yeah. With that kind of an attitude it's no wonder computer games have not and will not get the place they deserve in the Hall of Entertainment! or something.

my 0.023tuwery423
deadlus
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by deadlus »

Hmm image linked up on JE's server?
He posted it on SA forums, linky
Finch
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Finch »

Lasse wrote:
Mad Max RW wrote:(These are just games, people)
Yeah and books are just books, movies are just movies, paintings are just paintings (fuck you Van Gogh you fucking sellout, Sunflowers was NOT canon) and chop sticks are just fucking CHOP STICKS... yeah. With that kind of an attitude it's no wonder computer games have not and will not get the place they deserve in the Hall of Entertainment! or something.

my 0.023tuwery423
And likewise authors, producers and directors, painters, and makers of chop sticks should not be set up against a while and fired upon, you dolt...

if you had read, you would have seen that that quote is from a statement saying that a game is more important than a life is ludicrous (whether it be a game, book, movie, painting, or chop sticks)
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Nobody is seriously thinking about shooting anyone, its dark sarcasm. Josh knows that but I'm not sure what comments the author of the article received. Maybe the PC Gamer audience is in reality rougher than the fans on this site?? I would tend to doubt it. But the question is to what level should people interested in something go in their pursuit of it?

What is a computer game? Can it acieve more satisfaction than checkers? A well done game like Fallout can involve players to a degree that books, paintings, and music can. People should have feelings over personal involvements, its what separates us from amoeba and gives meaning to our pathetic lives. There are people that take that involvement too far but again I don't think their is anyone in the fanbase here that would ever consider taking that love to violent levels. But the quote "a game is a just a game" is a slap in the face to fans or lovers of anything. Art is never just blotches of color and lines, music is more than just sounds, and Fallout is more than just Mario brothers.
Finch
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Finch »

Jimmyjay86 wrote:Nobody is seriously thinking about shooting anyone, its dark sarcasm. Josh knows that but I'm not sure what comments the author of the article received. Maybe the PC Gamer audience is in reality rougher than the fans on this site?? I would tend to doubt it. But the question is to what level should people interested in something go in their pursuit of it?
IIRC, people did actually send death threats to developers of the game. While I laugh as much as anyone at a good joke, some people take things too far.
Last edited by Finch on Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Finch wrote:IIRC, people did actually send death threats to developers of the game. While I laugh as much as anyone at a good joke, some people take things too far.
Hmm, and you heard that where? Is there a link or direct quote you can provide or is this hearsay? "A friend of a friend said...." Just because a journalist for PC Gamer said "....though I hardly support the radical suggestion that the entire company be lined up against a wall and shot." does not mean that there were any death threats. That quote in itself is something many people have said in obvious jest but does not qualify as a real death threat.
DJ Slamák
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by DJ Slamák »

The article is mostly okay, but I can't not notice (?) the description of the screenshots...
The classic Fallout (left) followed the mysterious Vault Dweller as he ventured out to explore the post-nuclear wastes. In the sequel, Fallout 2 (right), he wandered all over the Southwest before leading a revolt on an isolated island.
One of us apparently needs to play the games again. :shock:
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Finch wrote:And likewise authors, producers and directors, painters, and makers of chop sticks should not be set up against a while and fired upon, you dolt...
Well, if they're shitty chopsticks then why not!

I'm sure many let's say movie fanatics have had the same kind of feelings as Fallout fans though; I bet quite a few Star Wars fans were more than disappointed after seeing Episode 1 don't you think? Oh wait, it's a movie not "just" a game, their rantings and ravings are justified then! Not saying that any computer game has ever been as sophisticated as some artsy fartsy french movie, but many have been a lot more entertaining!
if you had read, you would have seen that that quote is from a statement saying that a game is more important than a life is ludicrous (whether it be a game, book, movie, painting, or chop sticks)
I thought his statement was just a dark joke, oh well. But the point stays, most people still seem to consider computer gaming a childish or a geeky hobby, which it mostly isn't anymore.

Oh I also liked the blue box at the bottom of the article: "In the sequel, Fallout 2, he [Vault Dweller...] wandered all over the Southwest before leading a revolt on an enslaved island." .....ok (EDIT: beat me to it you fuck!)
Finch wrote:IIRC, people did actually send death threats to developers of the game. While I laugh as much as anyone at a good joke, some people take things too far.
I think that was FOBOS you fool! :D
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

hey

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I've sent plenty of death threats to developers and bioware fans, no biggie.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

People have killed for books, army were raised for religious paintings, for different believes, etc, so why not kill for games?
Finch
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Finch »

The only thing I kill for is money...but then, only if they deserve it. Or I'm broke.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

so you're the local orkin man?
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

s4ur0n27 wrote:People have killed for books, army were raised for religious paintings, for different believes, etc, so why not kill for games?
Yes and people have killed because they were drunk, just plain stupid, or because their gay lover was sleeping with the neighbor's dog...
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

I hate gay dogs...Yet I still respect an animal that can lick it's own genitals in front of house guests.
quilla_b
SDF!
SDF!

Post by quilla_b »

does anyone know what issue that is of PC gamer?

I might buy it. Hell, Fallout is there! Need to keep my collections...

hehehe...
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

money is just money d00d

people have killed for stupider reasons. like football. or weapons of mass-destruction. it's all about the size of your dick in the end, because some men like sausages with extra mustard on if you know what I mean ;)

The death threats aren't anything to be whining about, people say them all the time. Mabye if they carried them out you could complain, but they're only game developers so it can't matter much eh mate?

B) and all is right with the world, except that nothing works.
:chew:
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

Finch wrote: IIRC, people did actually send death threats to developers of the game. While I laugh as much as anyone at a good joke, some people take things too far.
That can be debated until the end of time. Here in the US even joking about death threats can throw you in jail.
Last edited by Mad Max RW on Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

Oh and just to clarify we have yet to see any direct proof of anyone saying anythign to the effect of "OHMGIMGOINGTOKILLTHESEDEVELOPERSANDTHEIRFAMILIES"

Just techwizzer and chucky claiming we said this.
Our Host!