28 Days Later Anyone?

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
iohkus
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

28 Days Later Anyone?

Post by iohkus »

I saw it a while ago, almost a month... it just sorta came back to me, i'm sorta suprised nothing about this movie has been posted earlier, maybe because it's been out in europe for almost 2 years?

it's sort of centred around a disease that gets released by some hippies who unknowingly release infected lab monkeys carrying a sort of SARS meets Ebola meets Mad Cow Disease (except for humans) and it sets in about ohh... 20 seconds after exposure?

I thought it was good, the atmosphere was set up REALLY well, directed by Trainspotting's Danny Boyle, I enjoyed the beginning half a lot more than the last half, I like the whole wandering sequence, I thought it was shot well... I liked the panic feel but it was over done at points... it had some serious flaws, like when the fat man in the silly british car decided to endanger everyones life by driving through a dark tunnel...

still fairly good compared to the shit released at the same time in north america

the movie did have its moments though

sure as hell beat the last piece of shit movie i got suckered into watching at the theatres (the transporter)

imdb entry:

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0289043
bey.
spyder07
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by spyder07 »

There's all kind of stuff on here about it. I loved the movie. It could have been longer though. I have the 5 foot high standie of that pic minus the text at the top. It's sitting my basement right next to me.
iohkus
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by iohkus »

wtf. i want a standie
bey.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

haven't seen it yet... going to with my friends (live in america)

sounds like "12 monkeys" on a faster scale, and with the zombie effect... and no time travel
iohkus
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by iohkus »

yeah i thought it was better than 12 monkeys because it wasn't as far fetched, also a fairly unknown cast by north american standards, good british acting

it's sort of plausible, specially great watching it in toronto in the midst of the whole sars thing... sorta gave me a little glimmer of hope :evil:
bey.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

Iohkus wrote:good british acting
as an american is that good/bad acting?
Neon Dingo
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Neon Dingo »

American actors over-act. It's annoying as hell. When Americans see British actors they automatically think they have bad acting because they act more realistically and don't worry as much about making the dialogue sound cool.

I thought the movie was wonderful. I like the first half better too, but it was definitely the best movie to come out this summer.

Fuck T3, that didn't have nearly as much substance as this one did.

The things I liked the best about the movie was that it was shot digitally (brings out darker tones so they're easier to see), it had a really great atmosphere, and the music was superb.
This sentence has thirty-two letters.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

Awesome movie. It ran only for a few days here, in a special film festival.

Much better than standard movies today..!
I wonder how much it cost to empty all the big parts of London...?
Testicular Pugilist
Evil Natured Robot
Respected
Respected

Post by Evil Natured Robot »

Gotta disagree with you about the American/British acting differences, Dingo. Not only are there some brilliant and subtle Yankees, but having seen plenty of BBC series and movies on TV, I've witnessed plenty of Brits guilty of overacting.

Besides, so many people in the US get mesmerized by the British accent they don't care how good the acting is. Seems like if you can fake a downtown London speech pattern, you're in the running. Jason Statham anyone?

At any rate, 28 Days Later was quite brilliantly done, right up until the very end. The few liberties they took with cheesy moments were forgivable, and the post-apocalyptic feel in abandoned London was brilliant (a little music by godspeed you black emperor! definitely helped there). Best zombie movie I've seen, including Night of the Living Dead.
I'll get you, Yoshimi.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Hasn't came out down under yet. Saw a preview a while back, and it looked pretty interesting.
swordinstone
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by swordinstone »

sorry to piss in anyone's punch bowl... but I was a little bit let down. The plot had some holes and the characters made some really dumb choices. I guess in England they arent as common, but I would have trouble walking from all the weapons strapped to me if I we're ever in that situation. Shotguns baby, shotguns.

Overall it was a good movie, I guess I just had my own idea of what it was going to be (based on the previews and ppl's hype) and it wasnt really like that. Plus, as a personal sob story, the first 5 minutes (very important back story) got fucked up for me. It was opening night, and ppl snuck into the theather. So, ppl who paid for seats, didnt get any, and they stopped the movie during the opening scene to straighten it out. Then they resumed it, without starting it over. Not only that, but it took the the rest of the intro to get the frame centered on the screen and whatnot. BLARG! :(
Against the grain
That where I'll stay
Swimmin up stream...
I maintain against the grain!
spyder07
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by spyder07 »

In England, guns are illegall if I'm not mistaken. Their cops don't even carry guns. Oh yeah Iohkus, I got the the standie at the movie theather I work at.
Silver
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Silver »

Movie was great, that is the theme. Alot of stuff that would be so irrealistic. Like the soldiers at the in the castle. Talk about unprofessional and r-e-t-a-r-d-e-d. Not even talking about their 28 days with no sex drive, pathetic.

I've shown the movie's to some friends and they named dozens more of these 'flukes'. Still I like the movie for it's theme, and if not shaky, story.

If you are a post apolyptic fan, and if you try not to look at the little short commings, you will love this movie.
avenger69ie
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by avenger69ie »

Strapon2 wrote:
Iohkus wrote:good british acting
as an american is that good/bad acting?

just nit-picking here, but two of the main charactors, were in fact Irish, the guy that wakes up in the hospital has a strong Dublin accent, and the father of the girl is a well known irish actor called Brendan Gleeson.
like i said, nitpicking but nonetheless, irish. :)
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

You can still own shotguns in at least some areas of England. I haven't seen the movie yet, myself.
Literacy is overated.
Neon Dingo
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Neon Dingo »

Gotta disagree with you about the American/British acting differences, Dingo. Not only are there some brilliant and subtle Yankees, but having seen plenty of BBC series and movies on TV, I've witnessed plenty of Brits guilty of overacting.

Yeah, I don't mean all Americans or all British. I was just generalizing. It's just that I tend to see a lot more Americans overacting because of the fact that I'm American. But that probably has nothing to do with it. Hah
This sentence has thirty-two letters.
Phias
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Phias »

I was able to see the movie this week, and it was a pretty good movie. It was no Classic, but it wasn't too bad, either.
Endure. In enduring, grow strong.
Fenix
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Fenix »

I'm gonna try to see it this weekend. Sounds damn good and I saw the 6 minute trailer and it got me psyched.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

Shotguns would ruin it in someway...
The way the people had to survive with whatever they could get their hands on, seemed much better.
But I doubt they didn't have shotguns because they're illegal, wtf would you call her big-ass kukri or whatever she's hauling around?!
Testicular Pugilist
spyder07
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by spyder07 »

A machete. They're perfectly legal. I'm getting one in the mail from a garden catalog.
Our Host!