Redviewer

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Chaos
Respected
Respected
Location: Somewhere, don't really know I got lost on the way to Vault 13.

Redviewer

Post by Chaos »

Ok i am going to try and make a tileset but am a little confused with Red's tile editor. How do i start? do i draw a tile in like paint or something then open it with the veiwer or what? i have some pretty cool ideas for tiles but i just dont know where to start can someone please help thanks. :)
Soldier of the wastes. :gun:
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

I have made a tutorial for it. JJ86 hosts it in his NMA page. Search for it in his tutorials section.
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

http://jj86.nma-fallout.com/tile_tutorial.shtml

You will need something more advanced than MSPaint though. If you don't have photoshop try GIMP or if you have a 3d program you can export the objects in the correct perspective views. It is tricky to get the correct perspective otherwise when starting from scratch.
Chaos
Respected
Respected

Post by Chaos »

thanks for the tutorial

i do have a 3d program but i dont know how high in the program to set the walls etc like the normal 12WU walls i cant even do the tiles 6 x 6WU and another thing is the perspective do you have any idea as to how to set the perspective correctly or do i have to just guess and hope to get it right?

Is it possible to download Photoshop from somewhere and do you know a place to download GIMP?
Chaos
Respected
Respected

Post by Chaos »

i hate this forum it tells me like every single time i try and do something invalid session and it takes me like 50 tries

Flamescreen what do you mean draw a tile do I have to draw it in perfect perspective or what can you maybe send me a screenshot of the first step ( dont think im stupid and can draw something) i just want to know if i had to draw in perspective because in the tutorial it says You will have to select it then, I suggest using the Marquee rectangular tool, selecting a small area, what do you mean by that please send screen or help me out thanks.
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Well, for one you don't have to draw neccessarily, you can grab a pic or 3d model already made and make your tile. What I did and would work best for you probably would be:

Think what you want the tile used for. Let's assume it is a lamp. Use redviewer to get an image from a lamp tile. Use this as a model for yours, perspective and everything(put it right next to your image) or even use it and draw over it if you have to. Photoshop is very useful in that you can check the image size with it, so you can see how small you should make your images.

If you use Photoshop, you can change the perspective later, but it's not easy(jj86 is good at it), better to draw in it. I'm saying you have to select meaning, the finished image. Note I'm saying you need photoshop(above 5.0) we couldn't do things with other tools, plus FoT designers used it themselves.

If you want you can even use the lasso tool, but I'm not good in handling it so I'm suggesting what works for me. I'll try to link here a pic by tomorrrow, but if you're not using Adobe Photoshop, know you'll not have success. Photoshop's Alpha channel is essential. Oh, and the tutorial is also available here in the FoT files area. Forgot, but they were building this one for too long.

[Edit]Lets see about those pics:

http://flamepage.1accesshost.com/GrowCommand.jpg

http://flamepage.1accesshost.com/GrowEffect.jpg

Sorry but you'll have to copy paste them. Blah, and even this won't work. Chaos could you see them? I couldn't! Seesm like i'll have to change a site. If you'll give me your email, i can send them there.
Last edited by Flamescreen on Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Chaos
Respected
Respected

Post by Chaos »

thanks for everything i put it all in my archives but im going to scrap this part of my campaign for maybe a later date. thanks again
jc577
Regular
Regular

Regarding photoshop download

Post by jc577 »

Hey Chaos,

I found photoshop at there homesite, Also they have a fully functional trial version of Photoshop CS 8.0 it's pretty cool. I'm not sure on Gimp
you might try Programmers Heaven or 3D Links.com

Enjoy!!! :dance:
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Chaos doesn't post here anymore. What he wrote is over a year and a half old.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Fez
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Fez »

I'm sure he's been lurking for a year and a half waiting for that answer though, so it's OK.
Don't hate him because he's beautiful.

"Everyone's a girl when they're face down."
jc577
Regular
Regular

Regarding website for GIMP download

Post by jc577 »

hey there,

I was just surfing for a version of gimp on google and found it at

software.sfcc.com
If you type in full trial version of gimp editor in google and go down about 3rd or 4th listing there she blow's

Just thought someone might be interested?

You all have been very helpful to me with my tile making problems and I greatly appreciate all the info Thank's

jc577 :dance: :dance:
Red

Post by Red »

Fez
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Fez »

Damn, I was hoping for some hardcore bondage action from that link. What a let down.

I've never tried out the Gimp art package, any good? How does it compare to the usual ones (Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, Corel)?

Red

Post by Red »

Better but more complicated to handle. Some stuff takes longer to acheive albeit you have total control over pretty much everything.
Chaos
Respected
Respected

Post by Chaos »

yo guys i am back, i know this is a very old post but thanks for replying. i know i havnt posted in forever but its because i lost everything on my comp and could never figure out the new website since the last time i had a working comp the website was www.duckandcover.net so it took me quite a while to find the dame website again. i have had to completely start over on everything to do with my campaign because even all my backup shit got lost so everything turned into a giant pile of crap.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Damn. Thread digging for teh win.

Welcome back, Chaos.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Fez
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Fez »

Sweet baby Jesus! That must be the longest wait for an answer on a forum I've seen yet. Looks like he was lurking all that time for it. :D

Welcome back.

Our Host!