hi ,i am new to fallout and have been playing fallout2

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
arthur
SDF!
SDF!

hi ,i am new to fallout and have been playing fallout2

Post by arthur »

for only a short time
i am getting a error message (fallout has created an error in kernel32dll) every so often and the game crashes
if i haven't saved recently i lose all progress

i have an athlon 1.2 way more HD than i ever will need and 512mb ram
i am using windows me
the game installed and runs ok except for the randomly timed messages /crashes

remember in replying that i am computer newb and playing the games and reading my e-mail is the extent of my computer knowledge

thanks for any help/advice in advance
you(well some of you) will be placed on the protected lists when my people come to take over this planet
Warlord
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Warlord »

You can try to re-install the game. It sometimes helps with crashes ( did for me ).

And remember to update your game.
- May the blood of thine enemies stain the ground -
Rat Keeng
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Rat Keeng »

If you just bought the game, there's a good chance the patch is already installed, or is at least included in the game. If not, you should get the patch yourself, http://www.interplay.com/support/produc ... 25#patches.
arthur
SDF!
SDF!

thanks for thr replys

Post by arthur »

i have reinstalled 3 times so far and have got the patch from interplay

still no dice ,i played for about 35 minn this time before the same thing happened
you(well some of you) will be placed on the protected lists when my people come to take over this planet
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Odd, I have the Windows version of Fallout, and my system is pretty close to yours, WinME, 256MB RAM, and an Athlon 1GHz. If you bought it recently, you should have the windows version of Fallout and it's already patched.

Now, one problem could be that you installed the DOS patch for Fallout over the windows version. That could screw things up.

If that's not the case, then there's probably an application you have in the background that's making Fallout unhappy. ICQ has gotten so bloated, it can cause that kind of thing. Virus checkers can be bad about that as well. Norton utilities can cause all kinds of problems with certain other applications.

Hope that helps.
------------------
Tank
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Tank »

Well the same thing happens to me and I'm running on an ancient machine... It also happened on my newer one back in the DK, so I'va always figured it's just something you have to live with...
The Unwashed Village- Abandon ye sanity!

Live with Honor
Fight for Honor
Die with Honor

Let not Glory blind Thee
Kizmiaz
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

The OS?

Post by Kizmiaz »

:? It rarely craches for me.I got a Athlon 1.2 and 256 MB mem & Geforce2
but I stick with my Win98 SE,since I mainly got the rig for playing,and what I have read at various forums,the ME and 2000 seems to cause trouble with gaming.(Lacking DOS mode?)(Tried the XP but it messed up the sound & was slow :( )
Btw,if you're in Eurpoe theres a wonderful patch at some german site,which I sadly cant recall right now,but it will give you back all children in both FO1 & FO2,making some quest a little easier.I think it's called gore patch or something like that.
Kindly,
Ukhan Kizmiaz
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

I also get that error message, although I get it very very very rarly (like once every 2 games). What installation have you got it on? If you are getting the problems on Full install, try it on minimal.
hvkasteren
SDF!
SDF!

Post by hvkasteren »

There's a patch that puts children back in fallout 1??? Where can i get it?

[edit] Already found it: http://www.fogp.de/pages/index.html [/edit]
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

Well, running the game on an NT based system (ie: NT4, 2000 or XP) will never give you a "kernel32.dll" error. But it'll still crash...

Personally whenever I try killing someone by planting explosives the game crashes. I've never been able to do that and had to use other means (mainly superstims - and in this having Myron along greatly helped).

It's a bit weird how doing different things on different systems triggers the same (but different... anyway...) bugs.
Rat Keeng
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Rat Keeng »

Red wrote:Personally whenever I try killing someone by planting explosives the game crashes.
Happens to me as well, every damn time. I used to be able to do it on Win98, but now i have XP and it crashes much more often. The explosives one is a sure crasher.
Warlord
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Warlord »

I have no problems with my old 95...
- May the blood of thine enemies stain the ground -
Red

Post by Red »

It crashed maybe twice randomly in all since I've been playing it again - other then the explosive assassination crashes. As I said all I do is use SUper Stims instead, so it's really not a big issue, and on top of it, I don't have to have the stupid steal/plant test when doing it...

And I wouldn't return to Win9x/ME. Ever.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

My game crashes whenever I try to recruit Dogmeat
Tank
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Tank »

My game crashes with explosives too, but if I restart it and try it again it usually works... weird!
The Unwashed Village- Abandon ye sanity!

Live with Honor
Fight for Honor
Die with Honor

Let not Glory blind Thee
Rat Keeng
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Rat Keeng »

This game is full of surprises :wink:

Last time i played it, it crashed when i tried opening the doors to the church in the Den. Never happened before.
Pred_667
SDF!
SDF!

Crashes

Post by Pred_667 »

I can't remember the last time I got a crash off of FO1 or FO2. Of course I never tried planting explosives or super-stimming them to death. I preferred the good ol' fashioned Avenger until I got to the Plasma rifle shot to the head. Call me old fashioned. It might also ne your Antivirus program. I am going to re=install them and see if I can get the errors. You might also turn off everything in taskmanager (Win98/SE) except for systray and explorer.

good luck
Fight Rush Hour Traffic, Legalize Vehicular Weaponry
Red

Post by Red »

Yeah, but killing them that way (say the hubbologist) will lead to the whole town attacking you... Usually anyway.
danferry
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Re: thanks for thr replys

Post by danferry »

arthur wrote:i have reinstalled 3 times so far and have got the patch from interplay

still no dice ,i played for about 35 minn this time before the same thing happened

I have heard about how buggy Windows ME is, have you tried updating your windows?

:roll:
danferry
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by danferry »

Stainless wrote:My game crashes whenever I try to recruit Dogmeat
I had that same problem. Just remove your armor (no trying to feed him), he will recognise the 13 suit. :oops:
Our Host!