What knowledge is needed?

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
Tank
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

What knowledge is needed?

Post by Tank »

Ok, I'm a (budding!) new programmer and so far I know Visual Basic, HTML (not programming, but what the hell!), JavaScript and am currently working on C++. With the new mapper and the older what-ever-it-is moddinfg-tool, what will I need to know to start working on making simple Mods?
The Unwashed Village- Abandon ye sanity!

Live with Honor
Fight for Honor
Die with Honor

Let not Glory blind Thee
Temaperacl
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Temaperacl »

It depends on what you are trying to MOD, but in general, the answer is "not much". With the exception of the maps and scripts, there are tools available for easily modding pretty much every alterable part of the games. The maps will require either a Hex Editor and alot of patience, or patience enough to wait until the Mapper is out.. The scripts are fairly easy(although it is easier to build them from scratch than altering existing ones and some of the functions aren't immediately clear)- You just have to get the decompiler and compiler (Actually, if you are making a small change to an existing script, it is easier to just use a hex editor, although then the information you need to know to alter the scripts is much more complicated.)..

For building your own tools, VB and C(++) will probably be the most useful of the ones you listed, depending on what your preferences for programming language is..
Tank
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Tank »

Well, I prefer C++, VB is too limited... Unfortunately, I don't have Visual C++ and I always forget to capitalize the needed parts of my script... ugh!

Live with Honor
Fight for Honor
Die with Honor

Let not Glory blind Thee
Temaperacl
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Temaperacl »

I dislike VC++.. Then again, I much prefer C over C++.. I don't know of a free C++ compiler to Win32 apps, but DJGPP is a compiler for dos-based apps. For my Win32 programming, I use LCC-Win32, which is a C compiler..
Tank
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Tank »

Bloodshed is the name of the one I use. I also got the other one with my "Learn C++..." book. I like V-programs because they make my forgetfulness acceptable.

Live with Honor
Fight for Honor
Die with Honor

Let not Glory blind Thee
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

There was that book, VC++ in twelve easy lessons I got my copy of VC++1.0(just got it for the compiler). I wouldn't know if its still available, though. It's been years...
Sykotik
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Sykotik »

Temaperacl wrote:I dislike VC++.. Then again, I much prefer C over C++.. I don't know of a free C++ compiler to Win32 apps, but DJGPP is a compiler for dos-based apps. For my Win32 programming, I use LCC-Win32, which is a C compiler..
I'm just curious: why do you prefer C to C++? I'm not going to dis you or anything, I just want to know :)
Tits.
Our Host!