Can Player Models from f1 convert into f2 ?

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
Taxi_Driver
SDF!
SDF!

Can Player Models from f1 convert into f2 ?

Post by Taxi_Driver »

As the title says, can it be done ? eg. The player model of the Lieutenant of the Master's Army.
ColJack
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by ColJack »

yes and no..
yes
you can put the fallout frm's into fallout 2,
no
you cannot just put the lieutenant into fallout 2.. since his proto was deleted to make room for new guys..
you would have to create a new proto with the old artwork... ( fallout 1 proto's are not compatible so you cannot just cut and paste him either. )
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

He's already there. Both mutant types are in there and easyly accessible through simple PRO editing.

There are four missing sprites:
- The master
- Gizmo
- Overseer (in overseer chair)
- Overseer (walking).

I've successfully added all of them into FO2

http://fmf.knightcommand.net/red/GMOF.jpg
ColJack
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by ColJack »

no he's not.. the lieutenant had special artwork, and a special death scene.. kinda like frank horrigan...
i know this because i just finnished killing him not 3 hours ago..
ColJack
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by ColJack »

sorry, didn't read the post properly..
i tought you ment that he was just a regular leather clad super mutant like marcus..
he has metal armour on though.. although i'll take your word for it that the artwork is still in there.. but was i right his proto isn't..?
Red

Post by Red »

Oops, I'm sorry, he's missing too. Weird I missed him...

Well, yeah, you can add him back then, though you'll need to fiddle a bit.
Taxi_Driver
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Taxi_Driver »

sorry guys, i'm kind of a noob in this, how much fiddling does it take ?
cuz i really want the lieutenant back in fallout 2. . . . .
ColJack
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by ColJack »

firt you need to extract his .frm (and any related .fr0's etc ) artwork from the fallout 1 critter.dat..
then you need to copy the artwork into your fallout 2 folder in the right place.. ( i extracted the whole critter.dat file for fallout 2, and renamed the critter.dat file to critter2.dat, then the game uses the uncompressed files in the critter.dat DIRECTORY.. so i would put the artwork under critter.dat/art/critters )

Then you need to dreate a proto for him so you can insert him into the game ( don't ask me how to do this, i don't know.. ).

THEN, if you want him to do more than just stand there and look pretty, you need to write (and compile ) script/s for him so he will have dialogue options to talk to you and interact with you and / or the map..
You also need to write the .msg files to correspond with the scripts ( the script just says " if the player says reply 1, then critter says line 4" and so on.. )

The quick and easy, but ultimately ugly way is to just substitute the .frm ( and any ascosiated fr0's etc ) of the lieutenant for that of an existing critter.
Bear in mind that if you change the .frm file for a mutant for example, then in all likelyhood all mutant will then look like the lieutenant.. so pick someone unique.. like frank.. hell still be a mean SOB, but will look like the lieutenant.. ( not sure if that will work though since frank has some artwork for his claw attack.. )
Taxi_Driver
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Taxi_Driver »

Whoa !! thats a lot of work, anyway thx for the help !!
Taxi_Driver
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Taxi_Driver »

btw, whats the right utility to extract the .frm from fallout 1 ?? i tried DatmanLight & Datman explorer but none of them work. Both are design for fallout2 . . . . . .
You Talking To Me ? You Talking to Me !?!
Red

Post by Red »

I use f1undat (the command line utility)... I basically extracted everything from FO1, the same way I did for Fo2 (only there with a nice little but useless GUI).

Basically you copy all the appropriate FRMs into the FO2 directory and then update critters.lst in art/critters. Thankfully instead of recycling entries, they left the "removed" sprites with "reservd". So replace the "reservd" lines with the exact same lines you find in the FO1 critters.lst and you'lll have access to them through PRO editing.

NOW FOR PRO EDITING READ MY FUCKING KEY MAPPINGS DOCUMENT AND EVERYTHING TO EDIT PROS (in the official editor) IS INCLUDED IN IT.
Our Host!