speech file - not a problem as such

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
bbill
SDF!
SDF!

speech file - not a problem as such

Post by bbill »

i dont think it has any negative effect but i've made my speech file and saved it as normal, i can select the lines of speech and assign them to nodes and stuff its just when i open the drop down menu in the editor theres also about 60 million other things including what appear to be movie titles from the game

everything seems to work ok in game but i dont recall this hapening way back on my last map and i'm not sure what i've done this time

i hope someone can shed light on my incompetence

ta

sorry its not another entity question
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Re: speech file - not a problem as such

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

bbill wrote:i dont think it has any negative effect but i've made my speech file and saved it as normal, i can select the lines of speech and assign them to nodes and stuff its just when i open the drop down menu in the editor theres also about 60 million other things including what appear to be movie titles from the game

everything seems to work ok in game but i dont recall this hapening way back on my last map and i'm not sure what i've done this time

i hope someone can shed light on my incompetence

ta

sorry its not another entity question
That many, really? : ) Don't worry I get the same, perhaps you didn't scroll down that far before.

What's really annoying is that they don't have a drop down list in the triggers if you want to play a movie, so you have to type in the titles.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

I think it is a result of not using the path option when creating your map. If you start out making your map in another directory with all of your speech files, entities, and sprites separate there shouldn't be a problem like that.
bbill
SDF!
SDF!

Post by bbill »

well maybe not quite 60 million......3 million tops :)

i think thats probably it jj86, last time roundi did all the path stuff i couldnt be bothered this time i just wanted to make a map!

thanks to you both :)
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

What you're seeing is certain entries in the generic_mission.txt located in core/locale/game.

This is a very handy file, btw, since you can store all sorts of stuff there that will then be available in between maps. For instance, I found that Holodisk text can be listed there so that a player can read them on any map that he/she is on. You will have to access the information anew each time you're on a new map, but once you've accessed it, it will remain under the "Dialogue" tab in the PipBoy.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Holodisks

Post by PaladinHeart »

I was thinking of just putting what information is on the Holodisk in the Holodisk's description. But this might be a more interesting approach.. Hmm.. Guess it depends on how much trouble it is and if I ever have any problems with room in the items.txt file.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Re: Holodisks

Post by OnTheBounce »

[TBC]-PaladinHeart wrote:I was thinking of just putting what information is on the Holodisk in the Holodisk's description. But this might be a more interesting approach.. Hmm.. Guess it depends on how much trouble it is and if I ever have any problems with room in the items.txt file.
If you're going to simply place the info in the desc then you may as well use a Generic Item (w/the sprite of a Holodisk) rather than an actual Holodisk entity. The advantage of the latter is that you can assign a speech node in the "Text Tag" field. This will then allow you to have a name, desc, and the info on the disc. Very handy for those people like me who like to hand out background info with the "Verbose" setting in effect. ;)

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Holodisk

Post by PaladinHeart »

I haven't played around with the Holodisks yet. I'll see what happens when I get to the point that its necessary. I'll probably want to use them to make certain areas a bit more interesting.
Our Host!