Captain Kirk's Space Flight

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Captain Kirk's Space Flight

Post by Gimp Mask »

So William Shatner, 90, took a trip to space yesterday, it was the first time I've watched a space thingy live I think. Seems like he had a very profound experience, and I think he said some beautiful things post-trip, I'm liking this guy and think he has a good approach to life and stuff. I was moved, mang.

Shatner: [...] to see the blue color go whoop by, and now you’re staring into blackness � that’s the thing! The covering of blue was... the sheet, this blanket, this comforter of blue that we have around us, we think, ‘Oh, that’s blue sky.’ And then suddenly you shoot through it all of a sudden, as though you whip off a sheet off you when you’re asleep, and you’re looking into blackness, into black ugliness, and you look down, there’s the blue down there, and the black up there and it’s... it’s just... there is Mother Earth and comfort, and there is � is there death? [...]

You see, yeah, you know, weightless, my stomach went up ... ‘This is so weird!’ But not as weird as the covering of blue. This is what I never expected! Oh it’s one thing to say ‘Oh the sky and the thing and the fragile’ � it’s all true! But what isn’t true, what is unknown until you do it is there’s this pillow, there’s this soft blue! Look at the beauty of that color! And it’s so thin! And you’re through it in an instant! [...] it’s like a beat and a beat and suddenly you’re through the blue! And you’re into black!

[...] It’s so... it’s so much larger than me and life. It hasn’t got anything to do with the little green planet, the blue orb and the � it has nothing to do with that. It has to do with the enormity, and the quickness and the suddenness of life and death and the � oh my god. I can’t even begin to express what... What I would love to do is to communicate as much as possible the jeopardy, the moment you see how... the vulnerability of everything � it’s so small! This air which is keeping us alive is thinner than your skin! It’s a sliver, it’s immeasurably small when you think in terms of the universe. It’s negligible, this air.

:salute:
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

I'm glad for him, not many people get the opportunity to go to space. I'd love to try it myself, someday.
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

Looking forward to hopefully experiencing "the overview effect". I saw some short clip where he is at a window taking it all in, meanwhile 4 dunces are exclaiming their yahoos and yippies doing barrel rolls and taking selfies, drowning him out. Little sad. :salute:
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Hyacinth wrote:Looking forward to hopefully experiencing "the overview effect". I saw some short clip where he is at a window taking it all in, meanwhile 4 dunces are exclaiming their yahoos and yippies doing barrel rolls and taking selfies, drowning him out. Little sad. :salute:
Yeah man it was disheartening, I remember him taking a few steps back to dodge the champagne spraying bullshit so he could contemplate the ephemeral nature of life when these jag-offs are going "whooo space!" D:
Our Host!