Video games and Anxiety

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
munchkin
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Video games and Anxiety

Post by munchkin »

"Videogames use has constantly increased among children and adolescents, with uncertain consequences on their health. This study aimed to assess the prevalence of videogames use and addiction in a sample of Italian children during the COVID-19 pandemic and their association with anxiety symptoms.

Males reported to spend more time on videogames, to perceive higher self-control and to be more influenced by reinforcement mechanisms; females described higher levels of trait anxiety. In the regression analysis, state anxiety was a predictor of videogame use and addiction.

Overall, 96.3% of the 162 children recruited reported access to one or more devices used to play videogames (console (65.4%), smartphone (56.2%), tablet (48.1%) or personal computer (36.4%)). Their favorite games were Fortnite (21.6%), FIFA (10.5%), Minecraft (7.4%), SuperMario (6.2%) and Just Dance (4.3%).

We found an average score at the VASC of 46.7, indicating a low risk of videogame addiction; the average score at the TAD was 135, indicating a moderate level of pathological trait anxiety; as for the CAM-S, a low level of state anxiety was reported (average 2.2)."

So, is it true that males are more mentally in control when playing video games than females? Any girl gamer here who says otherwise?
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

I don't think there are any females left, probably too busy playing minecraft :rfol: the bit you've quoted doesn't really tell us much though

If you have a knack for addictions and like playing games then gaming is a very convenient method of escapism and avoiding dealing with your anxiety and issues, you'll train your brain to fire up Redneck Rampage whenever you get jittery in no time. Luckily it's not the worst, just sort of bizarre, meta-escapism
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

I believe that the female mind is constantly in self review in comparison to the expected profissionecy of a male when it comes to games. Then everything they do in games, especially online competition games puts them on edge to a perceived UBER-MAN which level is an impossibility for the penis envying young woman.

On the other hand.

Women who master their own perceived inadequacies may well be better than males in the multi-task arena of RTS.

It's a generation thing maybe.
munchkin
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by munchkin »

Hyacinth wrote:I believe that the female mind is constantly in self review in comparison to the expected profissionecy of a male when it comes to games. Then everything they do in games, especially online competition games puts them on edge to a perceived UBER-MAN which level is an impossibility for the penis envying young woman.

On the other hand.

Women who master their own perceived inadequacies may well be better than males in the multi-task arena of RTS.

It's a generation thing maybe.
That's most probably, right. Well, just to add to your curiosities. I'll leave the URL link here where I've read this article. Cheers.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8001544/
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Thanks for the link, I just read the abstract and the conclusion, note that males perceived themselves to be more in control; they used self-administered questionnaires. We're talking 10 year old boys here, heavy self-enhancement bias and lackluster self-analytic abilities should be taken into account. I doubt many kids that age would say "I feel like I can't control my gaming".

Also what Hyacinth said
naughtpan
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by naughtpan »

I'm sure it depends on the game, but there is some evidence to suggest men have an advantage. Men have better hand-eye coordination and reaction times, for example. This gives them a significant advantage.
Our Host!