Yet another the new direction of DAC thread

Make dumb suggestions so we can ignore them. I'm lovin' it.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Yet another the new direction of DAC thread

Post by Gimp Mask »

I don't really know how things work here any more and if anyone's even in charge and whatnot, but I've been thinking, 2020 DAC is basically about nothing: people who are still passionate about FO1&2 probably prefer NMA anyway and the people who like the new games are on Reddit or somesuch instead of some ancient website. There's been 1 news post in the last 5 years and even that one's basically about how the whole thing is just costing Taluntain money. We all know this much.

So, why not cater to the audience that we have left, i.e. us? Why not just post random stuff like this on the front page, instead of posting nothing at all? Turn it into a modern-day version of the Wasteland subdomain news-wise, everything else could remain the same. I know it sounds stupid, but really, what's the harm, no one cares but us and even that's a bit of a stretch. I'd be happy to do it every now and then. I'd also be happy to not do it if the whole idea is unacceptable, whatever, just a thought
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

I like it.

Wasnt the big money race about upgrade or death though?

I'd be cool with keeping DAK as is for me, a open forum with new gimicks would require some moderation I suppose, the nightmare of KOC's reign would be a massive backlash though.

Maybe a poll, keep DAC as is with the cash or renew, if it is required to update to keep DAK up, so be it.

If we decide to stay as is, I would like to see some reassuring removal of mod-privilige though, looking at KOC and Smiley pretty much. They are like the looming threath of sauron eh, still might remember their password.

Also unban everyone and allow for a guest forum where old members who lost their password can get in contact without registration if possible, like a guest lobby.
Taluntain
Sorcerer's Place Admin
Sorcerer's Place Admin

Re: Yet another the new direction of DAC thread

Post by Taluntain »

Gimp Mask wrote:I don't really know how things work here any more and if anyone's even in charge and whatnot, but I've been thinking, 2020 DAC is basically about nothing: people who are still passionate about FO1&2 probably prefer NMA anyway and the people who like the new games are on Reddit or somesuch instead of some ancient website. There's been 1 news post in the last 5 years and even that one's basically about how the whole thing is just costing Taluntain money. We all know this much.

So, why not cater to the audience that we have left, i.e. us? Why not just post random stuff like this on the front page, instead of posting nothing at all? Turn it into a modern-day version of the Wasteland subdomain news-wise, everything else could remain the same. I know it sounds stupid, but really, what's the harm, no one cares but us and even that's a bit of a stretch. I'd be happy to do it every now and then. I'd also be happy to not do it if the whole idea is unacceptable, whatever, just a thought
I don't think anything's gonna happen here any more unless I/we (that is, anyone still active here) make it happen. SenisterDenister is probably the only one left who can post news and is still around every now and then. Not sure if anyone else on the staff has been around in years. When we transfer to the new forums we'd start from scratch in terms of moderators and news posters etc. because there's no point in having people "in charge" who haven't been active on the site in years.

I have plans for front page news posting as well once we transfer to new forum software. Keep in mind that after transferring to new software, the entire website except the forums will basically be gone. DU has made it clear that he isn't willing to update his code here to work with XenForo and without having someone to maintain the site code, the only sensible solution it to find some regularly updated XenForo CMS and apply it to DAC after we convert the forums. That way we can set up a similar environment again by manually transferring anything worth keeping from the old DAC to the new.

This is definitely going to need a lot of man power, so anyone willing to help make it happen will be very welcome. But first things first, raising enough money to upgrade the forums, and then we'll go from there.
Hyacinth wrote:I like it.

Wasnt the big money race about upgrade or death though?

I'd be cool with keeping DAK as is for me, a open forum with new gimicks would require some moderation I suppose, the nightmare of KOC's reign would be a massive backlash though.

Maybe a poll, keep DAC as is with the cash or renew, if it is required to update to keep DAK up, so be it.

If we decide to stay as is, I would like to see some reassuring removal of mod-privilige though, looking at KOC and Smiley pretty much. They are like the looming threath of sauron eh, still might remember their password.

Also unban everyone and allow for a guest forum where old members who lost their password can get in contact without registration if possible, like a guest lobby.
DAC can't continue as it is. I'm keeping the website artificially on an outdated version of PHP because it doesn't work with anything recent, but that won't be possible for much longer. Plus it's dead in the water with no new registrations possible.

And yes, like I mentioned above, actually active people will be managing the site. And sure, clearing all old bans makes sense after so much time has passed.
Sorcerer's Place - https://sorcerers.net
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

I'd be up for helping out with the moderation, in fact I think everyone who is still active should just get a "staff" tag. I've been around since 2005 pretty much, but DAC always needed to be self moderated by the users, now when we are older I think we can handle that responsibility ;) it's unique as well, which is nice.

This place is full of creative people, we will make this place something special compared to the rest of the shitty web, why it is so important that we don't just let go of its heritage and have th. uncleaned masses flood in and destroy it.

Looking forward to the long life.

I do arts stuff also so I would happily help with site layout or stuff, I just know Jack shit about coding.

Maybe we could save the version of dac how it is right now and later Ina few years hire someone to make an exact replica. Going to be fun if anyone checks in after 20 years and DAK still blossoms. Ha!
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

munchkin
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by munchkin »

Hyacinth wrote:I'd be up for helping out with the moderation, in fact I think everyone who is still active should just get a "staff" tag. I've been around since 2005 pretty much, but DAC always needed to be self moderated by the users, now when we are older I think we can handle that responsibility ;) it's unique as well, which is nice.

This place is full of creative people, we will make this place something special compared to the rest of the shitty web, why it is so important that we don't just let go of its heritage and have th. uncleaned masses flood in and destroy it.

Looking forward to the long life.

I do arts stuff also so I would happily help with site layout or stuff, I just know Jack shit about coding.

Maybe we could save the version of dac how it is right now and later Ina few years hire someone to make an exact replica. Going to be fun if anyone checks in after 20 years and DAK still blossoms. Ha!
Looking forward to see some members here to be promoted! I don't want this forum to go to waste too.
Our Host!