World Exclusive Sanitarium Interview

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

World Exclusive Sanitarium Interview

Post by Gimp Mask »

Alright guys the moment you have been waiting for, interview with Kashluk the lead growler of Sanitarium. Now this interview took some convincing to do, this guy is like if Varg Vikernes and Gaahl had a baby and pumped it full of steroids and left it in the woods to fend for himself. But survive he did. Lost his faith in god, and in doing so, gained faith in himself. Picked himself up from once he was a shattered person and rebuilt himself into the man he is now. Most journalists would stay the hell away and for a reason, but as you're well aware I am a rocker I'm a roller, I'm a out-of-controller so I tracked down this elusive man-beast to ask him a bunch of questions about the greatest metal band in the Galaxy. [editor's note: this really is a real interview with the real Kashluk]
---

Gimp Mask: First of all, thank you for doing this interview. It has been the most requested feature on Duck and Cover, the premier heavy metal website. As everyone knows, you were the lead singer, or "growler" in your own words, of the legendary heavy metal band Sanitarium back in 2002-2003. Who are/were your biggest musical influences when it comes to growling and/or singing?
Kashluk: Thanks for having me! Early 2000's were a wild ride, 2002-2003 especially so. The few clear memories I have from that xylitol fueled era are definitely about Finntroll, Moonsorrow and Cradle of Filth. So yeah, obviously, those were and still are my greatest influences.

GM: That's interesting, to me Cradle of Filth was always the sugar-coated off-brand Sanitarium rip-off, nothing like the xylitol-coated skull-splitting viking berserker tour de force you guys had going. Anyway you recorded a demo in the fall of 2002 with Simo the drummer doing the vocals, did you ever release anything else, or any songs with your growling instead of Simo's whining? Did any of the tracks survive the Black Out of 2010 that took down most of the data on the servers of Tyrell Corporation, the label to which you were signed?
K: Once you peak, there is no point delaying the inevitable. If you shit gold once, it's not going to get better. You get rubies at best. Unfortunately, even the best of digital records did not survive the Great Purge. Sanitarium's melodies only exist in our hearts and minds nowadays. Of course, they are burned and/or stained on them so vividly, who would even need material devices to enjoy them anyhow?

GM: Yes, I have burned many a pair of stained underwear after a heavy Sanitarium session. Now, when Pooperscooper interviewed you back in 2009, you guys talked briefly about Sanitarium as well. You said you were in the band for 9 months; what happened after that? 9 months is enough time to make a baby: did you birth a hit record and keep it a secret from us, a bastard child of DAC and the cold dark north, the Jon Snow of the black metal scene? Or did you leave in a fit of rage, smashing the tiles in the bathroom of your studio, single-handedly causing the downfall of the band, or did the other guys carry on to fame and fortune after your departure? Or did you just go your separate ways, no drama, no bullshit. I would imagine it must have been the tile-smashing thing.
K: Oh, tile-smashing, definitely. I'm pretty much the Rob Halford of my own life. [editor's note: I'm sure he meant Rex but he's had a wild ride, cut him some slack]

GM: I remember you also dabbled with techno or EDM or whatever you're supposed to call it so it is obvious that you were unwilling to limit your creative potential to just one outlet. Did you ever incorporate, let's say "industrial" for the lack of a better word, elements to Sanitarium's music? There was even talk of adding a synth player to the band, did anything ever come of that?
K: Of course not! Adding synths to reindeer-grinding post-apocalyptic war-metal would be sacrilege. As I said earlier, the early 2000's were a dark time and even the best of us dabbled in the dark arts of Electronic Music. As luck would have it, I was cured of this illness rather quickly. But to be completely honest, it did leave its marks. Every now and then I feel this perverted urge for a track or two of Dvbbs, but it usually passes after a couple shots of vodka and three hours in the sauna.

GM: For me it's 2 shots of scotch and a hot shower after listening to anything but Sanitarium. Sometimes I turn the water ice cold super fast to really feel alive but I can handle it only for maybe two or three seconds. Back to music: what is your favourite Sanitarium song, cover songs included, and why? Personally I'm partial to the ballad, "Alone". Also who was responsible for the lyrics? Because I would feel super sad if it was you who felt alone, you being involved in such a welcoming and supporting community as DAC and all.
K: My favorite has to be Rotten Soul. And as every song writer ever, I only poured my heart and soul into every single track, so yeah. Obviously I was a lonely wanderer with a putrid core. Could it be any other way?

GM: Definitely not, you're as putrid as they come. Sanitarium had a formidable touring career as well, and you guys were well known for your energetic live shows, including the notorious "Tiernapojat" Christmas triple special. Do you have any fond memories of the life "on the road"? I keep imagining the Mötley Crüe film "The Dirt" expect with more xylitol and less sexy bimbos. Also I tried doing some background research on Sanitarium but there was very little info to be found. I found some material (flyers, photos, videos) about Sanitarium playing shows around 2013-2014 but I'm not sure if that's even the same band. Even the original promo pictures have vanished from the internet, do you think this veil of mystery adds to the allure of the band?
K: We had a very exclusive tour calendar, gigs could be counted with the fingers of a single hand. Our live performance was known to cause lung failure and epilepsy seizures, thus we had to keep it as UG and OG as humanly possible. Sugar-free gum flowed the streets, chunky birds in fur bikinis paved our way with frozen roses. Life on the tour was amazing. Best part of my life, period. Too bad it also shortened it around 12 to 15 years. Such a rough road is a path that needs to be kept under the veil. It's not for the faint of heart.

GM: Frozen roses huh? I guess that's the rock'n'roll lifestyle for you, honestly I was suprised to find out you were even alive. When you initially posted the demo on DAC, you put up a disclaimer stating that "These tracks are property of their owners, so making a profit out of these is illegal. Sanitarium also has it's own material (both lyrics and composing) copyright-protected. You can listen to these songs, but you aren't allowed to *sell* them forward." Did you ever run into any issues with people trying to profit from the material? The demo especially is ultra rare these days, so I can see it selling for a bunch of bitcoins on the dark net markets.
K: There have been some attempts, yes. The biggest scheme uncovered so far has been a government incorporation. When waterboarding went out of fashion after a senate hearing or two, those cheeky yankees have been keeping kids in Guantanamo on their toes with 24/7 Sanitarium blasting from the speakers in holding cells. Then you caught Saddam. You're welcome. Latest violation of copyright was by a gaming studio developing a STALKER spin-off, but this was settled outside of the courtroom and I'm not at liberty to speak more of the details.

GM: Hot damn 24/7 Sanitarium blasting sounds like paradise to me, stupid Saddam. Speaking of Saddam, the demo received scathing reviews back in the day (as your buddy Hammer put it: "That is the best music I've ever heard, ranks right up there with rusty nails scratching a chalk board"), but has become something of a cult classic since then. You must feel incredibly lucky, having witnessed the success of the band during your own lifetime. Now, be honest: did the fame change you, or have you been able to lead an ordinary life after the belated success of Sanitarium?
K: It wasn't an easy task to become mortal again. But I've managed. Earthly, mundane worries have filled my days. My guts sometimes ache as I reminisce about the good old days. My doctor says they're kidney stones, but what does he know? The bastard's a punk rocker, those mongrels can only count to three.

GM: Speaking of which, I have three more questions for you. Have you had any musical projects after Sanitarium or have you left your musical career in the past, simply reliving those glory days of your youth in your memories over and over again until you're a decrepit old man and can't remember anything any more?
K: These days I only edit meme videos on Youtube under a pseudonym. I used to be a small little boy, now I'm a large angry man.

GM: I feel like you were always a large angry man, just in a small little boy's body, and the body wasn't that small to begin with. Back to Sanitarium, here's a quote from you from 2003: "We try to grind every instrument to their ultimate edge, so there won't be any "mis-syncing"". Do you think your instruments ever had the chance to reach their respective ultimate edges?
K: Rough edges were part of the experience. Only those with deaf ears for music couldn't appreciate it. As it is with any good blade, you keep its edge with never-ending sharpening. Our whetstone was our art. And our instruments wore out as we honed them. Dust to dust.

GM: Yes the consensus seems to be that music wasn't your art, but I think Simo at least is pretty much the Hattori Hanzo of the drumming world. Alright, we're nearing the end of this interview, but here's one that's been on everyone's lips: is there any chance of seeing a reunion of Sanitarium or is that just nightwishful thinking?
K: Our drummer still makes a living banging those bad boys. Literally. Guitarist's retired from music, he refines the youth of our nation these days. No one's seen the bass player since 2005. It would take a sad backstory, reconnecting montage and a couple of other TV tropes to get this gift horse back on the saddle.

GM: Well your drummer becoming a professional bad boy banger was pretty much inevitable from the get-go, but better not saddle up the dead horse of the long lost bassist because I'm pretty sure we don't have time left for a montage. Anyway, thanks so much for doing this interview. Final question: any last words for the fans?
K: Stay metal :rockon:

---
And metal shall we stay, as per Kashluk's dying wish, because that gut pain sounds very much like pancreatic cancer so I'd give him 6 months tops.
Last edited by Gimp Mask on Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

:drunk:
Whatever happened to kash anyways, that handsome (for a Finn, which means plain looking in other countries) military man from the land of sad man ballads and suicide?
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

I tracked him down on social media for the purposes of this interview but didn't bother stalking him beyond just contacting him, his personal life is none of my business, I linked this thread to him so maybe he'll indulge your inquiries, maybe he won't :chew:
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

Ooooh, I don't do social media ( my response to the question: If you could go back in time and kill Hitler, would you do it? Is no, I'd go after Zuckerberg) but I do appreciate the effort.

My fondest memory of Kash would be this story of how his girlfriend, at the time, wouldn't do blowjobs but didn't object to carpet muncing.

Good times
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Mismatch wrote:My fondest memory of Kash would be this story of how his girlfriend, at the time, wouldn't do blowjobs but didn't object to carpet muncing.
:clap:
I would not object to IRC or Discord or whatever meeting (#mammasgang obv) of just reminiscing and sharing Kashluk stories, I mean I don't remember any but it would be cool to read them
Also good call on the social media, I kinda need it for my work as a DAC journalist but I try to minimize its usage it as well.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Mismatch wrote::drunk:
Whatever happened to kash anyways, that handsome (for a Finn, which means plain looking in other countries) military man from the land of sad man ballads and suicide?
I never left :sucks:
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

:hug: :dance: :pelvic_thrust: :chick:
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

You can change the nature of a man and take him out of DAC, but you can never change the nature of DAC, or take DAC out of the nature of man. DAC is the natural state of all things, the dynamic equilibrium in the fabric of reality. DAC, metal, and the nature of man; those will be the foundations of a new, better society that will rise out of the dust once we have ground this hell-hole down to its ultimate logical edge of nothingness with our whetstones. Because nothing can be sharper than nothingness itself; you can hear it in the perfectly synced non-existent songs of Sanitarium that shall silently echo in the hallways of eternity, forever.
Kashluk wrote::sucks:
You were always your own harshest critic Kashluk. I guess that compulsive perfectionism is also a big reason why the music of Sanitarium has truly stood the test of time.
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

Excellent interview.

Kashluk post your YouTube videos, or make one unlisted and post link at least D;
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

too long didn't watch, but really, it's great that you've found a creative outlet and seem to have a bit of a following!

Also in all seriousness thanks again for playing along with my weird obsessions, it was fun for me at least, hope you got something out of a bit of old fashioned reminiscing as well. If you ever hit the iso kirkko look me up, I'll buy you a pack of gum or whatever your poison of choice happens to be these days. My job has developed my social skills a bit as well so I probably won't just stare out of the window for the whole time. Or maybe I will.
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

Hyvä

I regret asking.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Finnish memes are a blessing. I don't understand the language but I absolutely love it. Spurdo was probably one of the best things to ever happen to the internet.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

ALONE

Sitting in this dark corner makes me feel so lonely
There is no one with me, except the cockroaches only
Dizzy lightbulb swinging from the cealing
It gives this room a real insane feeling!

There is no one here, no one with me
Alone I don't want to be

My face is filled with the webs that spiders build
They lock me down, they make me feel guilt
Can't remember the last time I've spoken
My eyes, my ears, my tongue they feel like broken!

Alone I don't want to be

If I move a bit my skin starts to bleed
Someone to hold me, that's all I need
Sometime's I dream, sometime's I can't
It's been a long time since I heard myself rant!

Alone I don't want to be

But what is that? Footsteps? Closing by...
Oh my God, for this moment I could die
She's coming closer with arms so beautiful
There's no other way I could react: I start to drool

There is someone here, someone with me
Alone I don't need to be
There is someone here, someone with me
Alone I don't need to be

SEA OF SINS

Checkmate...
I shall tear you apart
Chess is a sport but killing, that's art
In form of love I will fool you