Fargo Strikes Again: Torment Kickstarter Is On

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Fargo Strikes Again: Torment Kickstarter Is On

Post by Tofu Man »

<strong>[ Game -> Preview ]</strong> - More info on <a href="http://www.falloutwiki.com/Brian Fargo">Person: Brian Fargo</a> | More info on <a href="http://www.falloutwiki.com/inXile Entertainment">Company: inXile Entertainment</a> | More info on <a href="http://www.falloutwiki.com/Torment: Tides of Numenera">Game: Torment: Tides of Numenera</a>

<p>Seems someone suddenly found a new lease of life, huh? Kickstarter hasn't been kind to everyone (right, <strong>Chris Taylor</strong>? (no, not <a href="http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Chris_Tay ... /a><strong> Chris Taylor</strong>)) but it's been kind to some. And some of those aren't going to be shy in making use of it again. What use? <strong><em>Torment: Tides of Numenera</em></strong> is the name and it's purporting to be <em>not-a-sequel </em>(wink, nudge) to well known <strong>Black Isle</strong> limbo-opera <strong><em>Planescape:Torment</em></strong>. Bullet points?</p>
<p> </p>
<blockquote>
<ul>
<li><em>Torment is a<strong> single-player, isometric role-playing game.</strong></em> </li>
<li><em>You will play a <strong>single, specific character</strong>, though you will encounter optional <strong>NPC companions</strong> you may choose to include in your party.</em></li>
<li><em>The <strong>story-driven </strong>game will have a rich dialogue system and approach similar to that of </em><em>Planescape: Torment.</em></li>
<li><em>The game will be developed in the <strong>Unity</strong> engine for <strong>PC (Windows)</strong>, <strong>Mac</strong>, and <strong>Linux </strong>platforms.</em></li>
<li><em>The game will be available in <strong>English</strong>, <strong>French</strong>, <strong>German</strong>, <strong>Italian</strong>, <strong>Polish</strong>, <strong>Russian</strong>, <strong>Spanish</strong>.</em></li>
</ul>
<ul>
<li><em>The game will be distributed <strong>DRM-free</strong>. (You&rsquo;ll be able to get it from Steam, and other DRM-free download options will be made available.)</em></li>
</ul>
</blockquote>
<p>You say you want more conveniently arranged info from the horse's mouth? Alrighty then...</p>
<p> </p>
<ul>
<li> <em><strong>A Deep, Thematically Satisfying Story. </strong>The philosophical underpinnings of </em><em>Torment drive the game, both mechanically and narratively. Your words, choices, and actions will be your primary weapons. </em></li>
<li> <em><strong>A World Unlike Any Other. </strong>The game has a fantastic, original setting, with awe-inspiring painterly visuals, imaginative locations, truly offbeat items, and massive feats of magic. In Numenera, however, "magic" is actually something surprisingly different.</em></li>
<li> <em><strong>A Rich, Personal Narrative. </strong>The story is thoughtful and character-driven&mdash;epic in feel but a deeply personal narrative, with nontraditional characters and companions who have their own motivations and desires that drive them throughout the game.</em></li>
<li> <em><strong>Reactivity, Choice, and Real Consequences. </strong>The game emphasizes replayability and reactivity, and your choices will make a real difference. You can play the game with a different approach and discover entirely new pathways. Most important, we won't tell you how to play. The best ending is the one </em><em>you choose, flowing naturally from your actions throughout the game.</em></li>
</ul>
<p>So, it sounds, err... dead serious. Unlike the video. Because, yeah, you can't have a Kickstarter without a comedy skit.</p>
<p style="text-align: center;"><iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inx ... video.html" frameborder="0"> </iframe></p>
<p style="text-align: left;">Ha... ha... funny, right? Hum... yeah. I'd keep Mr. McComb away from coffee, just playing it safe.</p>
<p style="text-align: left;">I keep hoping someone tells Fargo to sod gaming and pay Warner Bros a visit. In the meantime, if you'd like to help ol' uncle Bri and his boys at <strong>inXile</strong> have a shot at the game, <a href="http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inx ... enera">use this link right here</a> (not like they look like they need it, the guys just went up <strong>$100k</strong> (into <strong>$200k/$900k</strong>) in the time it took to make this post, but hey, maybe you wanna reserve your digital copy or something). Who knows, maybe after this additional round of free pub, the guy may finally decide to answer our questions. Providing he's not auditioning for the new Ben Stiller movie.</p>
<p style="text-align: left;"> </p>
<p style="text-align: left;"><strong>UPDATE:</strong> Done deal! After just one day, Fargo & chums have amassed 200% their proposed target (<strong>$1.8M</strong>), so expect stretch goals sometime soon.</p>
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Lookin' good. Gave them some cash right when it was around 300k, came back to find it at 1.5 mil.

Here's hoping.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Damn, that was fast. 5 bucks says it doesn't break 4M tho.
SenisterDenister

I reckon it'll cap around 3 million, tops, and that'll be in the last week.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

I'm expecting it to fare better than W2 (2.9) on the Torment name alone although I can't imagine they'll get more than Obsidian. 3.3 or thereabouts'd be my guess.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Cool, looks like this kickstarter thing could be a revival for many niche genres.
Zbyram
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Zbyram »

I'm not giving Fargo money again before he delivers Wasteland 2. He should focus on that game instead of resorting to Kickstarter again already.
popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by popscythe »

I would trade the pleasure of saying "I told you so" for a good fucking game in an instant.

Unfortunately the pleasure of saying "I told you so" once this turns out to be written at a level of quality roughly equivalent to a homeless person's sock filled with a homeless person's semen (or to put it in modern terms you can understand, like Dragon Age 2) is all I'm getting.
"I've decided that if positive affirmations can "cure cancer" then negative affirmations can cause cancer. Chant with me: Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard."
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Are you really this aggressively bitter to the point it kills you on the inside, or is this just for show on the internet?
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
SenisterDenister

I'd go with masking his own self loathing for not getting Fallout to work on his DS.
popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by popscythe »

Check back here after this dogshit is pushed out and we can talk about how prematurely bitter and self-loathing I was.
"I've decided that if positive affirmations can "cure cancer" then negative affirmations can cause cancer. Chant with me: Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard."
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I'm not talking specifically about this - I actually have very little interest in this project myself. This is your reaction to everything; seems like you're too stuck in the past to see the good in anything modern. Being, I'm guessing, in your late 20s or early 30s, you have a long life of self-imposed misery ahead of you.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I donated for this project just because it's supposed to be the spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment which was a great game. I saw the video with Colin McComb and it seems like he understands kind of what made Planescape great. I'm not going to pass on the chance to support a game that wants to be like the old one.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Ian Miles Cheong Wen Xian
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Ian Miles Cheong Wen Xian »

Had to chip in with some dollars :salute: It'll be fun to see if they much they raise in the last two days. 4.5 million would be nice.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

SenisterDenister wrote:I reckon it'll cap around 3 million, tops, and that'll be in the last week.
Fuckin retard :drunk:
SenisterDenister

Yeah I'm eating crow with a slice of humble pie. Off by a solid million.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

You're not alone. Hey, at least I saved 5 bucks.
Our Host!