Watchez bitchez

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Watchez bitchez

Post by VasikkA »

A man's gotta have a watch.

I've grown tired of my old watch. It's a basic stainless steel watch that cost around €70 a few years back and it looks cheap and makes me look cheap. It even lags a few minutes per month. I hate it.

I'm looking a for an every-day watch that's wearable both on business and casual occasions. More specifically, I prefer an analog, automatic watch with a classic dial, preferably with a leather strap for convenience, handwash proof (who the hell goes scuba diving with a wrist watch anyway?). A chronograph is optional (not that useful feature, if you ask me). As I said, it has to be a classic old-skool look and not one with a gazillion of gauges and levers in it (like this one). No fancy-ass overly simplistic designer wathces either. Oh, and no Jap crap. Swiss-made or the highway.

I've roamed all over the internet and so far I've found a couple of Hamilton's that tickle my interest (#1 and #2). #1 seems like good value considering the price and #2 is near perfection lookswise.

Anyway, I'm asking my fellow DaCers for some advice. What's your clockwork like and can you give me some recommendations? Help me out guyse.
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

Obv.

And then get one of these for it:

Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

Well just a tip. If you're buying a suisse made one the inner workings of the clock are probably all the same down to 100 euro or even less (if you're lucky). The quality of the pins and cogs might differ a bit but you're mostly paying for the name since the mechanics are patented and liscenced.

There's one more version that's popular which is made in Belgium or Germany or somewhere else in central Europe ( I forgot ) but beyond those two there's not much choice if you want quality and don't want to go to far up the price range nor seek advanced things like self-charging battery that really just diminishes the quality inside the clock since the individual pieces are even thinner and smaller.

In general buying a simple clock is a better investment than a to complicated clock since there's simply "less to go wrong" and it's easier to fix if it does.

Just consider that before buying a clock. If you don't plan on selling it look for tests done in longevity and stress which all major firms present. Personally I would never pay 1000 euro for a simple clock without gold or platinum on it and a layout that definitely indicates the classic pattent.
edit: Is classic.

But if you really like the design I guess its worth it. I liked #2.
Clock one doesn't seem to be "Swiss automatic" which means you aren't getting a Swiss clock and the patented or at least by the regulatory body approved figuration - I think.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

I've got this really, really basic Citizen watch myself. Metal "chain-link" type of strap, glow-in-the-dark dials and no special gadgets besides the day counter (shows the day of the month, like nr 14 at the moment). What's so special about it is that it doesn't use batteries and I've worn it for over 10 years now. Its solar powered, self-recharging mechanism keeps the gears turning year after year.

And it cost me something like 170 euros back in the days when you could buy those 1 dollar stakes and when there was still prohibition on and shit :che:
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

Solar Powered is good, no doubt. The ones that risk getting broken easier are the ones that load the battery through some complicated mechanism depending on wrist and hand motion.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

the utilitarian solution, hope this helps:

(theres a clock on my phone why would i need another one anyways lmao :rofl:)
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

I've had this watch since 2002: Citizen Skyhawk. Never had any problems with it, and cost around $300 at the time. I, too, am on the lookout for a new one. I honestly like Toxic's idea.

Alister McFap II Esq.
Jerry Falwell
Jerry Falwell

Post by Alister McFap II Esq. »

Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

i got mine off a flea market for £2, it tells the time within the second
:chew:
SenisterDenister

Post by SenisterDenister »

The watch I have is Columbia, I've had it for about eight years and never had any problems with it. Traditional watch face, rugged, and only cost like twenty bucks, I've gone through like two watchbands for it though. Need to buy a new one soon, thinking about it.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Yeah thanks guys for your effort but that is not quite what I was hoping for. I thought Frater Perdurabo would've recommended a $10,000 watch, but apparently he's busy. Whereartthou!

The Hamilton above isn't too bad, maybe a tad feminine. Classic is what I'm looking for, however.
Username wrote:Clock one doesn't seem to be "Swiss automatic" which means you aren't getting a Swiss clock and the patented or at least by the regulatory body approved figuration - I think.
Well, it says 'swiss made' on the dial and according to several online vendors it has a swiss automatic movement so it should be quite accurate. I'm afraid #2 is too thick for a comfortable wear so I'm starting to lean towards #1. I found a review of the watch although in rose gold (I prefer silver) and it looks really nice. I like this Tissot as well. Fuck, maybe I'll just let it boil for a couple of days.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

swag, swag, swag
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

I actually looked up some Tissot models for you but had no idea if you'd like them so I didn't post. I would warmly recommend them. I have a Tissot and it works like a charm. They really do the best job for the buck so to speak.
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

I actually looked up some Tissot models for you but had no idea if you'd like them so I didn't post. I would warmly recommend them. I have a Tissot and it works like a charm. They really do the best job for the buck so to speak.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Come on, post 'em.

'toga's piece is pretty cool, a steel wristband is always very manly.It reminds me of a wall clock, though. Also, it's obviously a suit watch and not something you could wear, say, on the beach.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

how about mine did you like it
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

I said no jap crap.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

just my everyday cr*p [edc] deal with it
ColoredMSauce
Cakester Alt; I'm going places in life

Post by ColoredMSauce »

Last edited by ColoredMSauce on Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

How about a Movado knock off for 130$?
Our Host!