Welcome to New Vegas (first impressions)

Discuss Obsidian's Vegas Fallout game here. Also: Fallout 4, Fallout 76, Fallout Shelter and other new dairy products from Bethesda's farm that don't have separate forums here yet.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Considering the Ballistic Fist is bonzo, Remnant's Power Armor is pretty easy to get and she has Power Armor Training, I imagine you could convert her to walking death within the first hour of the game. Well, all except the Ballistic fist bit.
my vocabulary skills is above you.
hoochimama
Respected
Respected

Post by hoochimama »

Retlaw83 wrote:
Aonaran wrote:I haven't really fucked with companions too much, so maybe one of you folks can answer this. Do you still have to feed ammo to your companions? Using your example, you gave Boone the Anti-Materiel, do you then have to keep him supplied with ammo for it?
You gotta feed them ammo.
Only if you equip them with a better weapon, their default weapons don't seem to use ammo.

Both default and player-provided weapons also don't have their condition reduced when used by a companion, allows you to exploit that special ammo that causes extra damage and fast weapon decay.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Aonaran wrote:Considering the Ballistic Fist is bonzo, Remnant's Power Armor is pretty easy to get and she has Power Armor Training, I imagine you could convert her to walking death within the first hour of the game. Well, all except the Ballistic fist bit.
Right now she's wearing combat armor and is using Recompense of the Fallen.

By the by, I just talked to Caesar, I'm totally behind this Legion thing now. Obsidian basically took the incredibly flawed execution of the idea behind Ashur in Pittsburgh and made it work. Reminds of the quote from the Fallout 2 manual - "Sometimes to be a good person, you have to do very bad things."
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Get her "Pushy" from Red Ruby mine or whatever, the one up the path to Jacobstown. It isn't difficult to get, all you have to fight are Lakelurks. Silver Peak on the other hand...
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Is it true the last half of the game becomes a bugfest compared to the first? I just heard that and I'm disappointed now.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Most of the "bugs" people are complaining about are things like weapons clipping your armor and getting stuck in the terrain. I'm sorry, but if you jump between a concrete block and a car, that is your fault, not the game's. Occasionally the game will halt during a loading screen, but I see this as a non-issue as well since the game auto-saves between zones. If you don't install the pre-order bonuses, or play on PS3, you should be fine. Then again, if you are playing on PS3 after FO3's performance you might be a shithead, so sorry for your troubles but you should have known better to begin with.
popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by popscythe »

Aonaran wrote: I'm sorry, but if you jump between a concrete block and a car, that is your fault, not the game's.
Fucking permissive bullshit. Next you'll be saying that the insane plethora of invisible walls to force you to walk around the obstruction-fjords (and thus double the required amount of foot travel to get to place to place) are awesome and more should be added as DLC.
"I've decided that if positive affirmations can "cure cancer" then negative affirmations can cause cancer. Chant with me: Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard."
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

I don't know who put the hurt in your butt, or why, but you might wanna grab an inflatable doughnut and sit this one out. It kind of reminds me of Brother None after New Vegas came out, all he ever does now is pout around because very few of his "followers" are as indignant about New Vegas actually being a good game as he is.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

popscythe wrote: Next you'll be saying that the insane plethora of invisible walls to force you to walk around the obstruction-fjords (and thus double the required amount of foot travel to get to place to place)
If you tried the game instead of crying and assuming it's another Fallout 3, you'd see invisible walls aren't present in NV. There's things like fucking mountains you can't climb, but their placement makes sense.
- the Vault Dweller
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Well, to be honest, there actually are some out-of-place rocks at places, which can't be jumped on although they're quite low (around Sloan/Quarry mostly). And they don't make sense since they look more like a wall than a natural rock.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Kashluk wrote:Well, to be honest, there actually are some out-of-place rocks at places, which can't be jumped on although they're quite low (around Sloan/Quarry mostly). And they don't make sense since they look more like a wall than a natural rock.
I haven't encountered those yet.
- the Vault Dweller
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Well they aren't there for no reason. I think Obsidian wanted to guide the story, at least a little, and I can't say I blame them for it. The story has a sense of build, and pacing, which wouldn't be the case if such things weren't in place. Still, they aren't obvious and you really have to seek them out. And honestly, you wouldn't even be seeking them out if the Bethesda engine wasn't so broken that you could skyjack yourself up any vertical surface by spamming "jump".

It's like I said earlier, the only "glitches" and complaints I've heard are really spastic, nitpicky little things, which our friend Popscythe was just kind enough to jump in and provide an example of.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Well, the thing was CTDing a lot for me, but since I used that tweak guide it's cleared up. It was really fucking obnoxious, especially since it CTDed two times while I was trying to cross the Ivanpah, but I haven't found anything game breaking.
- the Vault Dweller
Burning Oasis
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Burning Oasis »

I've only encountered 1 bug. The 'stupid dog with fucked eyes' one. Otherwise, everything else is fine. Loading times are less than 4 seconds for me. No lag, either.

For the first time, the pirated version seems to be doing better than the retail version. Wtf.
-----------------------------------------------------------Has anyone ever been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Burning Oasis wrote:For the first time, the pirated version seems to be doing better than the retail version. Wtf.
Not the first the, though. I've seen pirates fix bugs before official release :dance:
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Burning Oasis wrote:For the first time, the pirated version seems to be doing better than the retail version. Wtf.
Same deal with Fallout 3.
- the Vault Dweller
Burning Oasis
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Burning Oasis »

Retlaw83 wrote:
Not for me. Three different versions (pirated). Game breaking bugs, before I could even play. I was stuck, and couldn't squeeze out of my mother's vagina, I guess.
-----------------------------------------------------------Has anyone ever been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Weird, my pirated copy of Fallout 3 was more stable than bought ones.
- the Vault Dweller
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Burning Oasis wrote:
Retlaw83 wrote:
Not for me. Three different versions (pirated). Game breaking bugs, before I could even play. I was stuck, and couldn't squeeze out of my mother's vagina, I guess.
Fallout 3: The Abortion Simulator.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Shit, don't tell Jack Thompson. Oh wait, he got debarred, didn't he? Fuck it, by all means tell Jack Thompson!
Our Host!