I don't get why people don't mod Fallout Tactics instead

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

I don't get why people don't mod Fallout Tactics instead

Post by Username »

Like there's so much awesome talent in the F1-2 forums struggling with that epicly complicated code and map-editor over there instead of everyone just coming over to Fallout Tactics and modding here. Even a noob like me can mod this game, edit maps, do some scripts. It's far easier and the graphics while not having the old 256 charm are far easier to make with modern tools so they fit with the already existing graphics.

Any thoughts on this?
PS: I also understand there seem to be some RPG limitations for Fallout Tactics compared to Fallout 2 or 1 but the way people have worked around stuff in classic Fallout means there must be a way around here to! And there seems to be far less to work around in general.
Cakester
They call me Bum Tickler

Post by Cakester »

The only major problems is there is no scripting. Just triggers. And no neat talking heads and dialog to click on so the world feels more involved with the player.

Other than that i agree FOT is the best.
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

Hmm what do you mean there's no scripting?
Triggers don't count as scripting?

Or do you mean like patrol patterns, effects of time and such? Can't they all be done through triggers? Sure it gets a bit shopped up but what the hell.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Using turn-based mode ruins a lot of time-based triggers, and there's no feasible way to implement a dialog system into FOT.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

Oh yeah implementing dialog is hard. Ive seen a video of it based on how long you wait between each answer. But its a pain in the ass.

It was some time ago since I played FT-tactics but when you're talking to a trader there is a DONE button and a BARTER button right? Couldn't you just add more buttons like "Answer 1 Button" "answer 2 button" etc?
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Your only options are done and barter, there is no way to add new buttons or any dialog options without recoding the base game.
- the Vault Dweller
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Don't forget gamble!

Though I would agree, Tactics does have promise if it could get a revolution in awareness from modders. That, and some sprite addons of original deathclaws, FO2 enclave troops, and the occasional new critter.

See what you can do, gents
Cakester
They call me Bum Tickler

Post by Cakester »

Manoil wrote:Don't forget gamble!

Though I would agree, Tactics does have promise if it could get a revolution in awareness from modders. That, and some sprite addons of original deathclaws, FO2 enclave troops, and the occasional new critter.

See what you can do, gents
Right away! But i thought the FO2 Enclave troops was already done by someone?
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Dunno about that, other than as static scenery.

Not good enough
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

A sprite for a FoT actor takes a retarded amount of work. You need all the base animations, then all the base animations repeated with pistol, rifle, light machine gun, minigun, rocket launcher, laser rifle, plasma rifle, etc etc. If an entity doesn't have the animation set called for by the weapon, they can't use the weapon - you can run into some retarded stuff with Reavers, because they don't have animations for everything. And civilians can't use any guns at all.

That's why the (admittedly simplistic) mod I made re-uses already animated stuff with new names.

I cannot figure out for the life of me why they didn't use a 3D engine and cut out all that nonsense.
- the Vault Dweller
Our Host!