12 gauge Electric Slugs

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

12 gauge Electric Slugs

Post by Manoil »

<strong>[ Tech -> Article ]</strong>

I don't know about the rest of the Fallout community, but I for one was under the assumption that Electric shells were too far-fetched to make reality.
Wrong.
<blockquote><p><em>It’s midnight. You’re a cop patrolling the wrong side of town when you spot a mugging. The assailant is about 40 feet away, out of range of your stun gun. You shout, but he darts down an alley. It’s a dead end. The crook picks up a bottle, hurls it at your head, and makes a break for the street. You draw your gun.

And so goes the “capability gap,� one of the trickiest situations in law enforcement. For an officer in the field, this is a danger zone spanning 35 to 65 feet in which an assailant is beyond the range of Tasers and yet near enough to throw a deadly object, pushing an officer one step closer toward the use of deadly force. “Plain and simple, we need a less lethal option that works within throwing range,� says Sid Heal, a retired commander with the Los Angeles sheriff’s department and a consultant to the U.S. Department of Defense.

That’s where the Extended Range Electronic Projectile, or XREP, comes in. Unlike Taser’s conventional stun gun, which shoots tethered probes up to 35 feet to deliver an incapacitating jolt, the company’s new XREP is a 12-gauge wireless projectile that can be fired up to 100 feet from any pump-action shotgun. It sails through the air like a normal slug yet induces muscle paralysis on impact. “It takes everything that’s a Taser and puts it in a slug-like device,� Heal says.

Logistically, the biggest engineering challenge was miniaturization. With a Taser, two probes attach to the assailant, arcing up to 50,000 volts of electricity, enough to penetrate clothing. The XREP, on the other hand, uses just 500 volts to allow for smaller circuitry. Instead of arcing the current, it sends it directly into the body via barbed electrodes that pierce the skin. Lead XREP engineer Mark Hanchett says the key isn’t so much the voltage but the waveform. The current, shaped to mimic electrical signals in the body, jams the nervous system. “The waveform is the secret sauce,� he says.</em></p></blockquote>
The article continues here. You can also read on the DoD/Taser joint project of electrified 40mm rounds here.

Spotted @ Popular Science
Last edited by Manoil on Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kickstand27
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Kickstand27 »

these have been around for a bit..
i think popsci even recycled that story.

pretty cool though.. did you read their other article about tazing methed out sheep?
aparently the tazers arent non-lethal when used on a meth-head.
typos are bound to happen. fuck it
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Yeah, actually. That article is open in another tab on my browser right now. Yeah; though killing off meth addicts seems to be equal parts police brutality and public service, I s'pose.
Kickstand27
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Kickstand27 »

i reckon no one likes a tweeker..

then again, shame that whole communities got swallowed up by the shit.

zombies?
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Yonmanc »

Urgh, meth. It's finally reached my merry little island :(
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

island?
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

So prone to be abused by power-hungry dickhead cops.
Kickstand27
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Kickstand27 »

i would think they gotta be pretty expensive to use. they prolly wont issue them out like candy
Yonmanc

Post by Yonmanc »

Manoil wrote:island?
Britain
inomel
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by inomel »

Imagine the modded, unauthorized, wmd types that will pop up in no time.
Appearing stupid is sexier than being stupid. Although I hear stoopid was a cut perk in fallout three, but was abandoned when the devs found out it could be simulated by simply playing the game...
Kickstand27
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Kickstand27 »

totally nanobot shellz
ekkaman
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by ekkaman »

Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Mandatory cortex bombs would be so much more efficient. :drunk:
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Could even have them blindly linked to random word activation. :drunk:
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Hours of fun for those of us with tourettes and klazomania both. Yes. :drunk:
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Yeah, I too have seen this stuff before somewhere... If I recall correctly it was some sort of a documentary video thingy on YouTube or something. Personally I'm always in for more non-lethal solutions. Sure, there is the opening for plenty of abuse, but also the more common these kinds of things get the less common killing bottle-throwing drunkards gets.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Less than lethal, such a quaint term.

The ratio of abusive power maddened police officers/security guards is tied directly to the proliferation of such enlightened technological wonders.

In many systems, scenarios short of i.e : 'accidental' death by taser, the most these charming souls face for their indiscretion is a cursory reprimand. The admission of a mistake is so much more damning than the mistake itself. Reputation before ethical accountability.

Urethral electrodes would work to clarify this issue. :drunk:
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Alas, I myself do not share thy animosity contra our comrades in ultramarine attire. My personal faith and reliance in their cordiality, rapport et amity is stalwart. One steadfast to the cause of peace and credo of justice doth not abuse powers invested in him more or less as opportunities arise, hence my optimism.
Dreadnought
Devil times three go climb a tree
Devil times three go climb a tree

Post by Dreadnought »

Kashluk wrote:ultramarine

:clap:
���������
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

Electric slugs were my ammo of choice in Bioshock
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Our Host!