Fallout 3 Last Impressions

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

Wait, are you telling me that I can't implement mods in Fallout 3 unless I have the DLCs?
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

King of Creation wrote:Is Broken Steel just more of the same, or are there actual story elements there? I'm assuming it's heavy on the shooter side.
As Manoil said, it is and it isn't. The storytelling isn't anything to write home about, and while there's some minor flaws it doesn't have gaping plotholes big enough to drive a semi through like the main game - the biggest unbelievable part of it is the Brotherhood continues to be altruistic douchebags for no reason. Most of the problems with the story are because of the huge problems with the main game's story.

The dialog, however, is leaps and bounds above that found in the main game (though that isn't hard to do) - actually made some characters I found obnoxious in the main game likeable - and they put some effort into the facial animations. Plus Liberty Prime goes down like a bitch, which pretty much makes the whole thing worth it.

Is it real Fallout? No. The shit isn't even Dragon Age. But it's entertaining, more so than the actual game ever was.

I would also like to stress that if you actually paid for Fallout 3, you should probably acquire Broken Steel through means where you don't have to pay for it - Bethesda owes you.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
ekkaman
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by ekkaman »

No you can mod the game without the DLCs, just some of the latter mods will
use content from the DLCs.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

King of Creation wrote:Wait, are you telling me that I can't implement mods in Fallout 3 unless I have the DLCs?
Exactly what Ekkaman said. And I'm still taking occasional time out to update the mods page; not done with detail tags I had started but other than that the page still lives on
Geordge
SDF!
SDF!

Re: Fallout 3 Last Impressions

Post by Geordge »

popscythe wrote:I'll be the last to say it before I officially strike it from the record for all time.

Fallout 3 was fucking garbage.
You could at least try to give some arguments as to why you think so, or is this a funny thread?
Geordge
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Geordge »

Retlaw83 wrote:
I would also like to stress that if you actually paid for Fallout 3, you should probably acquire Broken Steel through means where you don't have to pay for it - Bethesda owes you.
What?
You are advocating piracy, did I read that correct?
So I'm on a site here that is dedicated to the game and you're saying we should just get an illegal copy cause you think the addon is crap?
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Geordge wrote:Image
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Geordge;

Search function and reading comprehension. Those two will get you far in life and here.
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

Geordge wrote:
Retlaw83 wrote:
What?
So I'm on a site here that is dedicated to the game and you're saying we should just get an illegal copy cause you think the addon is crap?
yea, bootleg the shit out of that garbage game.

I actually bought it.. for what?
Do these glasses and my two chins make me look sexy?
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Geordge wrote:What?
I'm advocating you pirate the decent addon on account of the main game being a steaming pile of shit. If you produce a steaming pile of shit, and people unwittingly pay you $50 believing they're going to receive a quality product, then you owe them. It's not legal, but it sure is justice.

And Duck and Cover never has and never will advocate piracy. If you think that I'm "the site" you're suffering from a failure to comprehend. I'm a lone asshole on an internet forum suggesting piracy as a means of karmic retribution, I'm not handing out warez links for the lolz.
- the Vault Dweller
SenisterDenister

Post by SenisterDenister »

Retlaw83 wrote: I'm a lone asshole on an internet forum suggesting piracy as a means of karmic retribution, I'm not handing out warez links for the lolz.
At least someone would be doing it right for a change, unlike the blatant hamfisted "THIS IS RIGHT AND THIS IS WRONG" attempt from Bethsoft.
Geordge
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Geordge »

Stainless wrote:Geordge;

Search function and reading comprehension. Those two will get you far in life and here.
I'm reading criticism without good arguments.
Retlaw83 wrote:
Geordge wrote:What?
I'm advocating you pirate the decent addon on account of the main game being a steaming pile of shit. If you produce a steaming pile of shit, and people unwittingly pay you $50 believing they're going to receive a quality product, then you owe them. It's not legal, but it sure is justice.

And Duck and Cover never has and never will advocate piracy. If you think that I'm "the site" you're suffering from a failure to comprehend. I'm a lone asshole on an internet forum suggesting piracy as a means of karmic retribution, I'm not handing out warez links for the lolz.
People unwittingly? What? Did someone force you to buy it, do you read reviews at all?
Do you expect that every game you buy is a 10 out of 10 or something?
Where did I address you being this site and advocating stuff?
And you are a lone asshole, thanks for making that clear at least.

One thing btw. I joined this forum cause I love Fallout and I can understand why some think that certain games in the franchise weren't that good.
But this thread seems to be just about bashing for the sake of it.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Geordge wrote: People unwittingly? What? Did someone force you to buy it, do you read reviews at all?
If you say you're making a Fallout RPG, there's a certain amount of quality that's to be expected. Additionally, if you look up reviews for Fallout 3, it got rave reviews across the board even though it was undeserving of such.
Do you expect that every game you buy is a 10 out of 10 or something?
I knew Fallout 3 wasn't going to be a 10 out 10, despite most of the reviews giving it that or close to. The points you've been trying to come up with do nothing but weaken your case.
Where did I address you being this site and advocating stuff?
Your wording implied it, in that you were shocked a member of a website can have a differing opinion from the website.
And you are a lone asshole, thanks for making that clear at least.
Sorry for making you cry inside. Go play more Fallout 3 to save yourself the trouble of thinking.
- the Vault Dweller
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Geordge wrote:

There's plenty of good arguments out there, but I'm not, and everyone else, is not going to repeat themselves for the billionth time on why they didn't like the game everytime a retarded SDF joins and thinks we should be obligated to because they fail at searching forums.

Granted, this topic is pretty much beating a dead horse, thus why I said search. If those other arguements are insufficient to you, then... well, you go can fuck yourself, because I really don't care if they are or not. As they usually are sufficient for the rest of the internet except for obvious trolls and retarded Bethsoft cockgobblers.
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Yonmanc »

Geordge wrote:

Haha, guys, come one, this dude is clearly a troll...nobody is THAT fucking stupid, no way, nuh uh, this guy knows the score and is just pushing our buttons. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY is THAT much of a fat tongued, water-headed, diaper wearing, gets taken to feed the ducks whilst the other kids learn maths, retard. It's impossible. I refuse to believe this guy is a bed-wetting, glue eating, rubs his penis on animals because he knows no better, spaz. Nuh uh, Troll alert I say.

Come on Geordge, admit it, you're a troll! lol
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Geordge:

I would ask that you avoid double-posting by using the edit function to cluster your replies of multiple posts into one entry. Just some minor due diligence, thanks.

As far as our arguments against Fallout 3: the points have been made, several times over. If you would be so kind, it would behoove you to examine the prior pages of this thread, along with a possible search of the subject to complement the reading load. Suffice to say, the problems in both the technical composition failures and creative direction/presentation are numerous enough that bringing them up every time a newcomer comes in, spouting sulfur and hellfire at the idea someone doesn't like Fallout 3, is a laborious task in more ways than one.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

Final, Final Impressions from ED :

Got the GOTY for Christmas from a grandparent. Played all the official DLC. Visited all the map locations. Talked to the majority of NPCs. Completed any quest I came across.

Mods installed: FOOK2, MMM, Destruction, DC Interiors, and because I'd beaten the main quest too many times to count, the cheater's terminal for Megaton.

Overall, the vanilla game is dull and bugged beyond playing. Crashed randomly to desktop, and more often simply crashed the computer. I'd never even seen a BSOD on WinXP until I played FO3 for about 15 minutes.

I had numerous issues with all the DLCs, especially The Pitt with characters getting stuck in a loop and not being able to work through quests or even start some. Strangely, my favorite DLC was The Pitt, even with all the horrible bugs. What is up with all the missing texture markers in an official release? Seriously?

Even after all the unofficial patches and the mods, the game is just slightly less buggy.

I play the game randomly on the weekends or after an angry day at work. I just go through and shoot people now.

Honestly, I'd rather just install a FPS.

I have some hope for FO3NV, but not much. If they can release a game that doesn't rely on fan-made content to try to fix glaring issues, I might ask my grandma to get it for me for Christmas. Then again, I might rather have a couple pairs of socks instead.
Kjutte
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Kjutte »

All good games make you think back at it and remember something awesome and fun. FO3 does none of these for me. The whole game consisted of constant reloading, in baaad need of getting criticalhits, or else I'd run out of ammo. Even at the end, I felt as squishy and shitty as the beginning.

FO1-2, I remember so many cool quests and areas-> fun NPCs and great characterprogression.

Fail for FO3.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Wipe that sheiz off your nose
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Kjutte is alright jeez why all the hate
Our Host!