Modding Fo3 = Fu*king Headhache

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
Myron
Regular
Regular

Modding Fo3 = Fu*king Headhache

Post by Myron »

Im trying to find a way of modding Fo3 textures, models, items properties etc... Ive already made some interesting discoveries (maybe nothing new to some of you) like ways of texturing all kind of stuff in Fo3 but non of the tools i have seem to be able to open the .nif files (NetImmerse Files wich are the main target for anyone who's looking to create models)... The textures applied in these models are the already famous .dds files (Direct Draw Surfaces) wich are quite easy to create though it might be a little tricky to apply them. Ive already tried lots of tools like:

FO3 Archive Utility - to unpack the .BSA files (worked perfectly)
NifScope to open .Nif files (didn't worked)
Blender 2.04a and his latest Nif Scripts that required me to install Phyton 2.5 and PyFFI (didnt worked neither)

These tools were often used sucessfully on Oblivion modding wich uses the same tipe of files, the same Graphics Engine (Gamebryo) and Physics Engine (Havok) so i just dont get why cant i use them on Fo3. Still if you want to retexture something you can use Photoshop Pro (just install the .dds files plugin) to modify textures wich are already set to be applied on objects. To do this use the FO3 Archive Utility (BSA unpacker) wich you can get here: http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34 then use it to unpack Fallout - Textures.bsa located in Fo3 directory/data (always make a backup of your files before modifying them) extract the files, modify them and pack'em again (with the same name and if possible, the same size.

:coffee:

But my main objective is to modify models (shaping), and item properties. The models are the .nif files (wich i just cant open) and the item properties are possibly located at the Fallout.esm wich i also cant open. But i haven't lost hope yet...

As you may already noticed i've been working on inumerous ways to mod fallout 3 (mostly ended up in failures), but there is one on wich i just cant give up, so i'll explain... i tried to mod Fo3 using TES construction set (The elders scrolls IV editor) but it crashed every time i opened Fallout.esm wich is Fo3 main file and shares the same extension as Oblivion's main file. It seems to me that Fo3 is using an slightly improved version of Havok Physics Engine so i tried to disable the Havok Sim option (and its dependecies) in the construction set wich allows you to preview animations while in the editor wich implies the use of the engine while editing thus causing incompatibilities with fallout 3 improved engine. Til'now... no sucess. so if anyone would like to join me trying to find a way to solve this just PM me. It woulded be much more easy to mod Fo3 using the Tes constuction set and by doing so we woulded be showing that DAC may have only a few members (active) but we actually do usefull things (sometimes..)... specially to those NMA suckers who think of themselves as superior beings... im not yet a DAC fanatic to the point of becoming an NMA archenemy but im begining to like DAC a lot and if someone doesn't like it they can just go to hell... the point is... there are only two kinds of people in this world... those who like us and those who can fuck off...

Still... even though i think the problem resides in the Havok physics engine due to some gore effects and other stuff i've seen on Fo3, it may also be due to the Gamebryo Graphics Engine...

anyway... if anyone has some ideias,PLEASEEEEEEEEE Just post them here, pm me or mail me...

now go get some cofee :hahano:
Ravager
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Ravager »

I’d like to know the same thing. I have tried and tried and tried but I can’t do anything about weapon names and damage…
Psychoul
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Psychoul »

I also tryed to do the same thing. I have no idea. WEll, good luck to you and will be looking forward to some mods coming from your way.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

I can help you make reskins in photoshop. I've got a good design mind, but when it comes into modelling, I'm not so capable.
FlatL1ne
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by FlatL1ne »

Myron

i realize your post is a bit old and you may be familiar with tools available now such as The G.E.C.K ,NifScope ,the FO3archive tools etc.

i dont have all the links readily available here but i could get them if you would like.

also if you need help on texturing im looking to join a mod team.
1 link can change the strength of many
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

Hey Myron.

Are you familiar with windows xp. photoshop and teh internets? lol
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

:Superhazehighfive: