colonization

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

colonization

Post by PiP »

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/?p=1887

finally something turn based eh
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Best news of the year; I wonder if they'll include slavery this time? Hate the candy graphics, though.

I replayed Colonization last summer and thought this would make a damn fine Total War game. Incidentally, my thoughts materialized later that year. Anyway, I like it how a game of Colonization has two distinctive phases; the exploration and colonization phase where you develop a supply chain of goods to support your economy and own military and, finally, the war for independence. An indian tribe or two may have been eradicated in the process.:)
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

just play civ4 and the addon it is much better than this will ever be. everyone knows that all the civilizations have been better than the colonizations.
PiP

Post by PiP »

well you don't know what's the new colonization's gonna be like.

And which add-on for civIV?
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

beyond the sword or somethnig, not sure what the name is.

i dont like the cartoonish crap, and from colonizations track record i will chose civ4 over it.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

rabidpeanut wrote:just play civ4 and the addon it is much better than this will ever be. everyone knows that all the civilizations have been better than the colonizations.
What colonizations? There's only one and it was released 1994. I had played Civilization to death and Colonization offered new, alternative gameplay. The whole Civ routine gives me a 'been there, done that' feeling and I couldn't get excited over the dumbed down POS Civ 4 so hell yeah I'm getting the new Colonization.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Eh, dumbed down Civ4? Play it with all the expansions, mango.
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

VasikkA wrote:
rabidpeanut wrote:just play civ4 and the addon it is much better than this will ever be. everyone knows that all the civilizations have been better than the colonizations.
What colonizations? There's only one and it was released 1994. I had played Civilization to death and Colonization offered new, alternative gameplay. The whole Civ routine gives me a 'been there, done that' feeling and I couldn't get excited over the dumbed down POS Civ 4 so hell yeah I'm getting the new Colonization.
I think i am thinking about settlers. same studio as colonization afaik. Too cartoony.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Nah, man. The Settlers was develolped by some german studio, not Microprose.

We're talking about this game.
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

yeah very funny i have played it you dick and civilization was much better. sid knows what he is doing, microprose dont.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Settlers was made by Bluebyte, who also made Battle Isle, one of my personal favourite game series... till they fucked it with some wierd mmo that died and a shitty 3d quasi rt/tb game.

Rabid; Sid founded Microprose, and was one of the creators of Colonization. And since the guy he co-founded Microprose with is the guy he co-founded Firaxis games with (who made Civ 4, and since the new Colonization game is using the same engine...). With luck it'll be an entertaining game. I don't expect games to hook me as much as the originals did, just to get entertained and usually those games manage it.

I loved the original Colonization, silently raging at the king as he boned me with more taxes while I amassed my military then told him to go and get fucked.
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

damn, you guys have done your digging.

but anyway i still like alpha centauri more than the regular civ games. and that was firaxis.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

rabidpeanut wrote:but anyway i still like alpha centauri more than the regular civ games. and that was firaxis.
So far I've gathered this: Alpha Centauri > Civ 4 with addon > Civ 4 vanilla > any civ game > Colonization

Have I missed something? If I have, could you make a list of all the civ-type games in the order you liked them most. thx
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

VasikkA wrote:
rabidpeanut wrote:but anyway i still like alpha centauri more than the regular civ games. and that was firaxis.
So far I've gathered this: Alpha Centauri > Civ 4 with addon > Civ 4 vanilla > any civ game > Colonization

Have I missed something? If I have, could you make a list of all the civ-type games in the order you liked them most. thx
I'd just switch AC and Civ4 with addons D:
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

BLASPHEMER. :drunk:
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

I still haven't played AC...
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

Totally fucking awesome. I love all the cool videos with the secret projects, some of them are quite fucked up though.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Blargh wrote:BLASPHEMER. :drunk:
i knew it :drunk:
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

So it's <a hre="http://www.firaxis.com/games/game_detai ... id=21">due to ship soon</a>, I'll probably pick it up.... seems aye ok from them previews:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/898/898308p1.html
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/civilization-g ... 502p1.html

Tho' I still wish that they would have made an AC remake instead...
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

Hah! I had no idea they were remaking Colonization. Good times ahead... or are they? :horror:
Our Host!