Mod Help

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Mod Help

Post by Dogmeatlives »

I have never played Fallout 1 or 2 with any kind of mod enabled. I have actually never played any game with a mod enabled. I have no idea how to go about it. I have Fallout loaded on Windows XP computer. Fallout 2 is actually only on my Mac so I don't think I could do anything with that unless I found a Fal;lout 2 torrent and put it on my PC. Anyway, is there a site or something that would be a good place to start? Any input would definitely be appreciated.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Just follow the instructions. If there aren't any(highly unlikely), overwrite the original files and folders with the ones provided in the mod. Of course, you can't play the vanilla Fallout after you've installed the mod. Sometimes there's a special plug-in tool for mods, but I doubt there's one for Fallout.

Good luck finding enjoyable Fallout mods though. There's Megamod and New Vision for Fallout 2, but that's about it. Wasteland Merc 1 & 2 are the only available total conversions.

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload. ... &cat_id=15
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

you can't play the vanilla Fallout after you've installed the mod
You can just rename Fallout2/data folder and game turns back to vanilla, and than rename it back when you want to play mod again.
PsychoSniper

Post by PsychoSniper »

Haris you dipshit, what if the mod replaces the data files in a folder ?

Rename wont work then.

I DLd megamod the other day, pretty cool from what Ive seen.

Wasteland merc is shit, Morrowind in FO2 engine.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

I think you just insulted Morrowind and I hate that game.
PsychoSniper

Post by PsychoSniper »

FO = Oblivion with gunz
Wasteland Merc = Morrowind with gunz
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

Haris you dipshit, what if the mod replaces the data files in a folder ?

Rename wont work then.
If mod replaces files in a folder, and you rename that folder exe file will automaticly create new Fallout2/data folder. You can have 100 fallout2/data folders in your fallout as long as they are not called same. One that is called Fallout2/data is the one that the game is going to use. So you can have Fallout2/dataVanilla and Fallout2/dataMegamod and just switch back and forward when ever you want to play. If there is no folder called Fallout2/data than on next startup of the game it will get automaticly created and it will be Vanilla fallout2.

I do realise now why fanout died, you guys didnt even figure out how file system works in fallout.
PsychoSniper

Post by PsychoSniper »

I was art and story, not coding.

We had a pretty strong story in devolpment, but hte problem was the team disapered.

That, and I used my admin powers to delete the fourm like 6 months after I left, course it was dead at that point anyway.
Our Host!