I think I screwed myself in Fallout 1.

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
peterlinfield
SDF!
SDF!

I think I screwed myself in Fallout 1.

Post by peterlinfield »

I haven't played Fallout 1 in ages, but I managed to find the water chip and save Vault 13. I was doing some other quests, trading, and working to join the Brotherhood of Steel. I got in, got some upgrades, some new equipment, and then I left to scout out the north.

PROBLEM IS: as soon as I leave the Brotherhood map, a cinema starts showing Vault 13 being slaughtered by those bastardous mutants. I have a save file prior to all of the Brotherhood upgrades (they took some time to do, if I recall correctly). Should that file be enough time for me to stop this shit? Do I have to kill the Mutants ASAP, or can I just do something to get more time. I want to help the Brotherhood out a bit and take care of some things in the Boneyard.

ARGH. Please help. All I've been doing today is playing Fallout, and I feel like I'm near death.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

There's a 500 day limit in the unpatched version until mutants find Vault 13 so you better load an old save and leave the upgrades for the next playthrough. I'm not sure what happens if you install the patch; although I doubt the changes will affect your current game.
Bruce Leeroy
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Bruce Leeroy »

I'm not sure what happens if you install the patch;
Your save-game doesn't works anymore. (At least in FO2)
peterlinfield
SDF!
SDF!

Post by peterlinfield »

Thanks. I like to take my time, build my guy up and do as much as possible. I think I'll call it quits on this file and just go straight to Fallout 2. I finally got it installed on my Mac (using Boot Camp) and desperately want to play it again. Fallout 1 is great, but 2 was always my bread and butter. BREAD AND BUTTER I SAY. Thanks for the info.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

how about i shove that bread down your throat dammit
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Don't do it. Replay Fallout. It's a much better game and the end is worth it.

Play again and just don't dilly dally so much. And don't pay those filthy water merchants if you did last time. It gives you more time to find the water chip but less time to counter the mutant threat, as I recall.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Fa11lloutfan_15
Strider
Strider

Post by Fa11lloutfan_15 »

A Macintosh? Are you some kind of homosexual?
PsychoSniper

Post by PsychoSniper »

Go to the vats, blow place up.

Go visit the master, blow him up.

Do it ASAP, from an oldersavegame.

That, or just start over.

Tho it would be cool if someone would make a mod giving the Vault Dweller the option to simply fail to save the vault, but at the expense of a MUCH harder endgame.............. a last stand in the Hub prehaps ?
Fellout
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Fellout »

The 4 part Fallout program:

1 Get Water Chip from Vault 8 (Necropolis)

2 Kill the Master

3 Blow up the Vats

4 Kill Overseer
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Fellout wrote:2 Kill the Master

3 Blow up the Vats
You can do these in whatever order. I usually blow up the Vats first. I prefer killing the bad guy last.:)
Askagorn
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Askagorn »

As I recall it, if you destroy the Vats first, then kill the Master, the Vats will "respawn", and you will have to destroy it again to beat the game.
"I'll get you during my next save game."
--The Chosen One
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Askagorn wrote:As I recall it, if you destroy the Vats first, then kill the Master, the Vats will "respawn", and you will have to destroy it again to beat the game.
Nope, the Vats doesn't respawn.

On a sidenote, getting the water chip isn't required to complete the game if you blow up the military base and kill the Master within the time limit.
Askagorn
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Askagorn »

VasikkA wrote:
Askagorn wrote:As I recall it, if you destroy the Vats first, then kill the Master, the Vats will "respawn", and you will have to destroy it again to beat the game.

On a sidenote, getting the water chip isn't required to complete the game if you blow up the military base and kill the Master within the time limit.
Are you sure? I'm quite sure. Maybe before the patch? Actually Im 100% sure that it happend to my brother.
"I'll get you during my next save game."
--The Chosen One
MartinVW
SDF!
SDF!

Post by MartinVW »

Askagorn wrote:Are you sure? I'm quite sure. Maybe before the patch? Actually Im 100% sure that it happend to my brother.
The first time I played Fallout, I got into the Military Base by talking to the mutant in Necropolis, and then simply killed the lieutenant and every other living being there. After having finished the vats, I later found out about the cathedral and then killed the Master. There was no need for me to destroy the vats a second time, too. There are also different endings for both cases.

If your brother had to destroy the vats to times then this would most probably be a bug :)
SoldiersOfHope
SDF!
SDF!

Post by SoldiersOfHope »

If your ticked off about the mutant thing, just get the 1.10 patch. Your saved files WILL work.
Drunk_Squid
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Drunk_Squid »

Never happened to me.. patched version gets rid of that time limit for the mutants to find it.
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

Askagorn wrote:
VasikkA wrote:

Are you sure? I'm quite sure. Maybe before the patch? Actually Im 100% sure that it happend to my brother.
I am 100% sure I have never once killed the master first and I am also 100% sure that I have never had to destroy the vats twice.
WORLDonFIRE
Regular
Regular

Post by WORLDonFIRE »

i didnt even know there was a second time limit.could someone show me a vidio of the vault 13 slaughter?
Fallout:3 they changed it now it sucks!
Dreadnought
Devil times three go climb a tree
Devil times three go climb a tree

Post by Dreadnought »

No, play the game yourself you blood lusting fanfag.
���������
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Our Host!