How successful was FO1 commercially?

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Jokque wrote:Also, its actually not that many years since computer games still were a thing for a small percentile of the population
Its only in the recent years its become more of a mainstream and socially accepted activity to do

games back then simply didnt sell too much, but they didnt cost too much to make either
HL2 cost about $35 million to make.

Herve bragging about "350,000" hardcore Fallout fans makes the picture look pretty bad.

If those were the only people to buy a new Fallout game, and the game cost as much to make as HL2, the unit cost would have to be $100 just to break even. (Assuming there were no packaging, shipping, printing, marketing, or shelf-space costs.)

FalBlivion will have no such problems.
l84wrk
SDF!
SDF!

Post by l84wrk »

Here's a tidbit I found searching a bit, regarding top 10 torrents for 2006.

http://news.dmusic.com/article/21089

Number 1: Fallout 2 & Fallout 1 (A Game)

Fallout 2 is a critically-acclaimed computer role-playing game published by Interplay in 1998. It was downloaded a whopping 1,165,564,987 time(s)! That is correct a game was the most popular torrent for 2006. It was downloaded more than 1 billion times! The bandwidth it consumed was a staggering 1,468,611,883 GB!

heh.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

There aren't even a billion BitTorrent users.
Fa11lloutfan_15
Strider
Strider

Post by Fa11lloutfan_15 »

[i]independentmusician[/i] wrote:(Oh well, at least we can take comfort in fact that the #1 thing was a silly computer role-playing-game.)
:firing squad:
Steelkage
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Steelkage »

VasikkA wrote:There aren't even a billion BitTorrent users.
maybe the same ppl kept dling the game due to accidental deletaion or they REALLY love the game they need to have multiple copies...sum ppl are like that
For now i have none...but i will soon....
beryllium
SDF!
SDF!

Post by beryllium »

VasikkA wrote:There aren't even a billion BitTorrent users.
That's right. Look at the number for other downloads in the list, provided by the link above.. I don't beleive Fallout left behind such things like those, provided by that list. No, it's a mistake obviously.
<a href="http://www.corso-don.ru">He is not dogmeet, he is different!</a>
l84wrk
SDF!
SDF!

Post by l84wrk »

Ugh.

This will teach me to post something at 0430 in the morning.

I don't really know how they track these sort of things, but at Pirate Bay,

a self-proclaimed "World's Largest BitTorrent Tracker" - I think originally it was one of those anti-piracy info sites.

a quick search for Fallout lists roughly:

Fallout: ~11000 times
Fallout 2: ~25000 times

which probably fits most people's expectations.

It also has several humorous "legal letters" and responses.

I have no idea where limewire got their numbers though.

Still the number seemed big enough to warrant a peek. At least to a sleep deprived, maybe one-beer-too-many person straining their eyes at the screen...

edit: I just noticed its a 9 hour time difference from where I post to the timestamp on the...umm... post.

edit 2: removed the URL for the tracking site as it also indexs actual files and I don't want to be slammed for promoting piracy.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Maybe it was Bethesda's attempt so that the Fallout "brand" would gain more popularity :hahano:
Steelkage
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Steelkage »

Frater Perdurabo wrote:Maybe it was Bethesda's attempt so that the Fallout "brand" would gain more popularity :hahano:
it should be more popular...i mean come on its FALLOUT
For now i have none...but i will soon....
Mechanurgist
Strider
Strider

Post by Mechanurgist »

150K is a respectable number for an RPG in that time period of videogaming. Baldur's Gate 2 sold something like that amount and it was considered a success. RPGs were (and are) a small part of the videogame market.
Death: "Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me!"
Our Host!