Fallout 3: Vaporware?

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Fallout 3: Vaporware?

Post by King of Creation »

<strong>[ Game -> Preview ]</strong> - More info on <a href="#Bethesda Softworks">Company: Bethesda Softworks</a> | More info on <a href="#Fallout 3">Game: Fallout 3</a>

<p><a href="http://www.cnet.com/">CNet</a> compiled a list of the Top 11
(why 11? Such rebels over there) greatest cases of Vaporware
to hit the gaming world. Evar! Included on this list, our good friend,
<em>Fallout</em> 3.</p><blockquote><em>
Fallout 3
</em>
<em>
Interplay's beloved apocalyptic RPG franchise has been ripe for a
sequel since Fallout 2 was released in 1998. Bethesda Softworks,
creators of the Elder Scrolls RPG series, acquired the rights to
Fallout in 2004 and are supposedly working on Fallout 3. Unfortunately,
they still haven't released any details and the game was conspicuously
absent from their E3 booth this year.
</em>
<em>
Announced: 2003
</em>
<em>
Vaporware status: Vaporware</em></blockquote><p>
</p><p><span class="postbody">See the rest of the list <a href="http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-9020_7-655 ... ><p>Thanks again, <strong>Killzig</strong>. </p>
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

You'll soon get an email from PR Pete where he neither confirms or denies these rumors.
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

Or that it's too early to either confirm or deny it.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

This is probably a dumb question but what exactly is vaporware? :?
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Post by PaladinHeart »

Vapor = Something in the air that's just out or reach, you can't see it, touch it, etc...

Therefore Vaporware = Software/Hardware that doesn't exist and will likely never see the light of day.

That list mentions some though that are pretty much guaranteed to be made, such as Fallout 3. So in this case it's software that hasn't been made for a reeeeeeally long time and still has a while before it will be released.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. " -John 3:16

Hopes. Dreams. You have to live these things. If not, they will remain prisoner within the confines of your mind for the rest of your life.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Duke Nukem Forever is the Bigfoot of the gaming industry. The eponymous, Bruce Campbell-quoting action hero has been MIA since the much beloved mid-90s action classic
Wasn't there a really shitty 3rd person Duke Nukem game for PS1? Or is that the "Action classic"?
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

PaladinHeart wrote:That list mentions some though that are pretty much guaranteed to be made, such as Fallout 3.
Such as Duke Nukem Forever?
Serious Business.
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Post by PaladinHeart »

I guess Fallout 3 was a bad example. :-P

What about Prey? It's already out! I remember reading about it when Doom was first out. It doesn't look anywhere near as interesting as it sounded like it would be back then. Now it's just another FPS bargain bin title.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. " -John 3:16

Hopes. Dreams. You have to live these things. If not, they will remain prisoner within the confines of your mind for the rest of your life.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

PaladinHeart wrote:I guess Fallout 3 was a bad example. :-P

What about Prey? It's already out! I remember reading about it when Doom was first out. It doesn't look anywhere near as interesting as it sounded like it would be back then. Now it's just another FPS bargain bin title.
Haha, I still have that PC Gamer stashed away somewhere, in which they announced Prey at the same time as Deus Ex xD

There is a shitty 3rd person Duke Nukem game, called Manhattan Project. Oh, and Duke Nukem Forever is the best example ever of Vapourware. I remember that they even made in game demos and everything, before deciding that it sucked and remade.

What's happened to 3D Realms now? Are they still operational?

Oh, I still remember the best quote by 3D Realms: "When will Nuke Nukem Forever be released" 3D Realms: "When it's done".

Har har, I guess never.
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Post by PaladinHeart »

Manhattan Project was actually worth the price since it's a bargain bin title. I got it for like... $15 with a bunch of other games on eBay. :-P

Even the frustrating jumping puzzles are funny because of the gruesom deaths. xD The best part is the helicopter boss fight though. After that the game goes downhill.

jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Why can't killzig post the news.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

jetbaby wrote:Why can't killzig post the news.
because I'm a has-been and current staff really enjoys linking NMA at every opportunity.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Post by PaladinHeart »

I guess that means if it wasn't for NMA then this site wouldn't have any news? xD

I'm just kidding. I'm sure the DAC staff could post more "I'm gonna hate FO3" propaganda for the billionth time.

DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Post by DarkUnderlord »

There is the small matter of him having gone nuts.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

PaladinHeart wrote:I guess that means if it wasn't for NMA then this site wouldn't have any news? xD

I'm just kidding. I'm sure the DAC staff could post more "I'm gonna hate FO3" propaganda for the billionth time.
No, it means they're usually so woefully slow to dig up and pick up news on their own that they might as well just slap up an RSS feed of NMA's news output on the front page.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

DarkUnderlord wrote:
There is the small matter of him having gone nuts.
"going nuts" is relative.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Forgive and forget. We all love baby Adolf.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
vx trauma
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by vx trauma »

curious: how nuts is killzig implied to be?
Please Kill Yourself So I Can Rock
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Bethesda bought the rights to FO3 in 2004? Has it already been 2 years?
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Post by PaladinHeart »

They were also working on Oblivion at the same time. So it's not really surprising.

I'm just curious as to what their next project is going to be. Apparently rumors of Fallout 3 and an Oblivion expansion have both been dispelled.

Maybe when they said "any time soon" they just meant "not in the next few weeks, but perhaps next month..." ?

Ehh.. Just hopeful thinking. I'd at least like to see some screenshots of what they're working on so we could tell if it's going in the right direction or not. Something with a dialogue tree would be nice.

Our Host!