Weapon Ideas

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Miracleasd
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Miracleasd »

i'd like to see several very overpowers prototype guns with dire consequences.

a rail gun that sends you flying across the map from the recoil causing you dammage.

a boomerang gun, just hope you dont miss.

the destructo-mangler 2000 special edition, huge gun that looks really cool and either does next to no dammage or just pops out a bang sign.
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

Miracleasd wrote:i'd like to see several very overpowers prototype guns with dire consequences.

a rail gun that sends you flying across the map from the recoil causing you dammage.

the destructo-mangler 2000 special edition, huge gun that looks really cool and either does next to no dammage or just pops out a bang sign.
I don't see the point, unless you were joking.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Miracleasd wrote:i'd like to see several very overpowers prototype guns with dire consequences.

boomerang gun? *coughMadMaxcough*
the rail gun and destructo-mangler aren't very suitable for Fallout. Don't mention them to MCA though. :roll:
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

VasikkA wrote: boomerang gun? *coughMadMaxcough*
Yeah, they should take out those leather jackets to, I suppose?
:chew:
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

A gauss rifle is a rail gun.
------------------
Miracleasd
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Miracleasd »

semi serious, i just like the idea of a few weapons that will make the player smile when they try to use them.

i know a gauss rifle is a rail gun. thats why i put prototype as the gauss rifle obviously found a way round the enormous recoil.

the destructo mangler is essentialy a toy (probably firing soft plastic pelets) looks big and bad. one of the great things about fallout is that it doesnt take itself too seriously.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

i want something like a nailgun, or something else that makes use of random shrapnel that covers the wastes. this would be good because it could have very abundant ammo, but only harm un-armored targets due to its "Flachette" like ammo. it would be like a BlunderBust, lol. with armor on, the shrapnel should just plink off, so its only useful early, or on weak enemys
spyder07
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by spyder07 »

That's a good idea. I think it would work better if it would fire the stuff out of a capsule or shotgun shell type thing. Then you could just refill them with different kinds of stuff.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Hmmh, I have this Q2/3 image of a railgun. If there's a gauss/rail gun in Fallout 3, it should keep the same old/ish look as in Fallout 2.

Nail gun sounds good, it would easily challenge the SMG. :)
Meths
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Meths »

VasikkA wrote: Nail gun sounds good, it would easily challenge the SMG. :)
If 10 x more expensive then :D . That's because it's exploatation wouldn't cost anything. If ammo was scarce enough to force the player to take so desparate steps to avoid using it, i'm pro.

How about finding "Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch" in some special encounter?
I like BIG guns...
The Shrike
Respected
Respected

Post by The Shrike »

How about finding "Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch" in some special encounter?

How about not. they messed up that encounter in Fallout2 and it is just another idiotic pop culture referance.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Especially when "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" had nothing to do with the theme of Fallout's setting. Wargames, Mad Max, and movies like that did fit the theme of Fallout, and there were references to those in Fallout. However, Fallout 2 added numerous references from just about any popular thing imaginable.
------------------
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Well, I didn't mind 'Holy hand grenade of Antioch' or the Hitchhikers guide to galaxy -Whale encounters. They were acceptable as easter eggs IMO and were quite fun for the first couple of times. It's the zillion other references in Fallout 2 that watered down even the 'well done' easter eggs, not to mention what impact they had on the whole game. Sadly, New Reno is a grand example of this. One, two or perhaps ten pop culture references/easter eggs is fine but too much is too much.
Meths
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Meths »

I didn't know that this thing was a reference of smth. Thought it was just another unfinished quest as many others in Fo2.

edit: What do you think about combined weapons? I mean the guns where you can exchange barrel, magazine, scope etc. That would give some possibilities to customize your weapon for every situation.
I like BIG guns...
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Meths wrote:I didn't know that this thing was a reference of smth. Thought it was just another unfinished quest as many others in Fo2.
Ironically, it's an unfinished easter egg. :wink:
edit: What do you think about combined weapons? I mean the guns where you can exchange barrel, magazine, scope etc. That would give some possibilities to customize your weapon for every situation.
Well, depends on what degree. I like the idea of modifying/improving certain weapons, for example having a Gunsmith skill or paying certain people to upgrade your Plasma rifle, like it was done in Fallout and Fallout 2. Designing/strongly customizing pre-made weapons wouldn't really fit, as it would lead to building an über-gun that causes destruction and mayhem to every obstacle in the game, unbalancing the game and making other weapons obsolete.
Meths
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Meths »

VasikkA wrote:Designing/strongly customizing pre-made weapons wouldn't really fit, as it would lead to building an über-gun that causes destruction and mayhem to every obstacle in the game, unbalancing the game and making other weapons obsolete.
I meant for examle rifle, where you could exchange barrel for shorter (1 action point less per shot)/longer (better range), magazine for larger (min strength increased)/smaller (for weaker characters), scope for night scope / day scope, maybe to adapt your gun to different ammo, or improve burst. As you see those changes would be optional. And don't say that turbo plasma rifle wasn't the weapon of destruction and mayhem.
I like BIG guns...
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Meths wrote:[D]on't say that turbo plasma rifle wasn't the weapon of destruction and mayhem.
The TPR was an unbalanced weapon, no doubt about it. That would be why when it was brought back in FO2 it was no longer a 4 AP weapon. It's a perfect example of mistakes to avoid in the future.

One thing can be said for the TPR as well as the .223 Pistol where balance is concerned (at least in FO, not in FO2), namely that they were quest-related weapons, and since it was harder to get these weapons they can/should be given a little leeway regarding balance.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Meths
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Meths »

Meths wrote:I thought about what to replace it with as well. There might be a plenty of weapons that are much more interesting than this one. Maybe smth based on g36? I mean rifle using caseless ammo, available in to versions:
- long - better range and damage, shorter burst - kinda advanced sniper rifle.
- shorten - it costs 1 less action point (single 4ap, burst 5ap)
available upgrades - 10 x scope, exp. magazine (basic - 30, upgraded - 100).

I have many pictures of that weapons, but if anybody could tell me how to paste them here...
Thanks for help :mad: here they are:

long:

long with exp. mag:

shorten:

They're actually fine examples of combined weapons by the way.
I like BIG guns...
Viktor
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Viktor »

Old Eugene Stoner had the idea for a "family" of weapons all based on the same action and major assemblies in the '60s. I don't see a reason why this concept of having an assault rifle/support weapon/sniper rifle "system" of weapons couldn't be "Falloutified" to fit in with existing FO weapons.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

The Shrike
Vault Veteran
Ah!! YES!
another AFI liker, or fan or whatever you wanna call 'em.

nice to see afi
Our Host!