Jeff Buckley

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Jeff Buckley

Post by johnnygothisgun »

I just picked up Sketches for My Sweetheart the Drunk not too long ago, and while I don't like it as much as Grace, I certainly think it's good. Not sure whether any of you are fans of Jeff Buckley, but I decided to give it a shot.
Subhuman
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Subhuman »

He's responsible for every smarmy, sensitive singer-songwriter of the past decade, so I've stayed far away from him. But I keep hearing Grace is a gift from the frickin' gods, so I'm curious.
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

I see some people linking Radiohead, Coldplay, and others in the same vein (though I personally don't think they're similar) to Jeff Buckley, but I don't really put much emphasis on that connection, being that it may not exist. What's your definition of a smarmy, sensititive song writer? That garbage-shit-man Morrissey? Please say no. I'll be honest with you, in my opinion, Jeff Buckley produced some music that's simply miles beyond most of what I've ever heard. But, just to restate, that's a personal thing. If you've got ears, Grace does not disappoint.
Subhuman

Post by Subhuman »

Mostly the John Mayer-Jack Johnson-Dave Matthews-Jason Mraz types. They almost all cite Jeff Buckley as a "major influence".
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Hell, Radiohead cites Pink Floyd and Can as a major influence. That doesn't mean that Pink Floyd and Can are bad; it just means that Radiohead is pretentious and horrible and for indie nerds.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Subhuman wrote:Mostly the John Mayer-Jack Johnson-Dave Matthews-Jason Mraz types. They almost all cite Jeff Buckley as a "major influence".
They're either deaf to their own material or simply retarded. The real difference between them and Jeff Buckley is that, while he was good, they suck. Suck bad. I can't for the life of me connect him to any of them, regardless of how much he "influenced" them. I mean, Christ, those guys suck bad.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Hey, Radiohead is somewhat good to hear D:
Naked_Lunch

Post by Naked_Lunch »

Yes, if you enjoy having your ears being raped.
Our Host!