Interview with Lionheart's Eric

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Kreegle
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Interview with Lionheart's Eric

Post by Kreegle »

<strong>[ -> N/A]</strong>

To make DAC's opening a little more grander, Saint Proverbius was able to get his meathooks into <b>Eric Dallaire (AKA Cabal)</b>, designer at <a href="http://www.reflexive.com/" target="_blank">Reflexive</a> working on the controversial <a href="http://lionheart.blackisle.com" target="_blank">Lionheart</a>, and pick at his brain for a while. There's some interesting Lionheart information in there - take a look at this, for example:<blockquote><em><b>Saint_Proverbius:</b> There's been mention of swords, archery, and magic, but there hasn't been any mention of thieving abilities. Will there be things from Fallout in there such as Sneak, Steal, Lockpicking, and Traps?<br><br><b>Eric Dallaire:</b> True, we haven't mentioned these skills because they were not working properly for E3. However, we do intend to have thieving related skills. The Sneak, Lockpicking, and Traps skills will all work very much like they did in Fallout. In fact, we're planning some interesting things for Sneak that will work differently than Fallout. The main concept we're working with is that you can gain experience by sneaking on a per enemy basis. Also, we're planning on implementing two 180 degree vision cones on enemies that can each have different 'detection' modifiers, so it would be harder to perform a sneak right in front of a guard, as opposed to sneaking behind him.<br><br>Traps will also be particularly effective, since it will help you discern mechanical and spell-based traps. Lockpicking will allow you to enter many different secret areas, open locked chests, etc.</em></blockquote>Make your way <a href="http://www.duckandcover.net/lionheart/i ... html">over here</a> to check out the whole thing. Thanks Cabal!
Slider
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Slider »

Shouldn't the part after St_P asked how they are adding magic to the SPECIAL system and Eric gives a two part answer be:

Saint_Proverbius:Are there any steps to insure that the addition of such a thing will stay balanced in this system that wasn't designed with magic in mind? For example, mana will be determined by Intelligence, but high Intelligence characters in SPECIAL also get a plethora of Skill Points per level. Won't this make magic characters both highly powerful with magic and the most skilled characters at anything they chose as well?

Eric Dallaire:We're aware that intelligence is already a valuable stat. For that reason, we've decided to balance mana so that it is determined by other stats. The current plan is to use Charisma and Perception, although we are also considering Endurance. The idea behind this relates to the backstory of the spirits - your perception is important to perceive and connect with the spirit's power while charisma is valuable to coerce, cajole, or bend the spirit to do your will. Our goal is to make the SPECIAL stat system balanced, so that all of the stats give you roughly equivalent benefits - we want a player to think hard about the stat placement process

Instead it looks like one big answer from Eric. Just in case that it is and I'm reading it wrong, correct me. :)

Otherwise it is a very good interview, nice job St_P. :wink:
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Yup, that appears to be a screw up, most likely on my part. I'll fix.
------------------
Our Host!