Fallout 3 plot

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

PiP wrote:Now, the idea of "working" for a captain whose orders turn out to be evil halfway thru the game is a decent story sketch.
That would be too linear. I'd want to shoot that fucker after the first mission. A strict and detailed plot would suck. The ending should be open-ended just like in the the previous Fallouts; every town/notable faction gets their own ending. There doesn't even have to be a connection between the beginning and endgame. The waterchip and GECK were merely excuses to send the hero out to explore the unknown. In endgame, they didn't even matter anymore.

I want Fallout to take a step away from power armors and the Brotherhood of Steel crap.

And Paladin, you have come up with at least 10 different plots. Choose one and post it so we can laugh at it.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Kashluk wrote:
S4ur0n27 wrote:Shouldn't it be Troika rolling in Troika's grave?
It's a mass grave.
But Tim Cain isn't dead yet, so he's been buried alive?

zomg :aiee:
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Don't take it so literally, Susan.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Stop thinking I'm being serious all the time :che:
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

VasikkA wrote: That would be too linear.
I thought it could work like Silent Storm (don't tell me it was linear) or Bloodlines, or somewhere in between.
I'd want to shoot that fucker after the first mission.
point is the player should only gradually become aware of the evil guy's being evil, he should be fooled and mislead until half of the game, by propaganda, lieing, no access to essential info, and such.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

PiP wrote:point is the player should only gradually become aware of the evil guy's being evil, he should be fooled and mislead until half of the game, by propaganda, lieing, no access to essential info, and such.
No, I meant I generally don't like doing missions in RPGs for anyone but myself(gaining exp, money, items etc).

Usually doing missions just because some fucker tells you to do so is very annoying. Also, it's hard to mislead the player the way you described. Bloodlines managed to pull it off in the first chapter. I think it's one of the best quests(or series of quests) ever in RPGs.
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Post by PaladinHeart »

VasikkA wrote:And Paladin, you have come up with at least 10 different plots. Choose one and post it so we can laugh at it.
In one sentence or do you want me to put in all the details with options that take into account the various paths the player might take? I like the ghoul Nazi as the bad guy plot the best but just saying those two words doesn't do it justice and just sounds comically ridiculous.

If I put all the details and thus make an interesting plot with all the options then it will be so long most people won't read it.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. " -John 3:16

Hopes. Dreams. You have to live these things. If not, they will remain prisoner within the confines of your mind for the rest of your life.
PiP

Post by PiP »

VasikkA wrote:No, I meant I generally don't like doing missions in RPGs for anyone but myself(gaining exp, money, items etc)
how bout GTA3 style, i.e. taking up sort of freelance jobs? Actually GTA3 had this kinda plot we're talking about: first you worked for the Italian family, then you wanted to get rid of the boss since you became enemies. I actually kinda liked the way it worked in GTA3, including non-linearity of taking quests and the presence of subquests. Agreed on Bloodlines.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

GTA3 felt non-linear but in fact, you pretty much have to follow one path.

GTA1 and 2 were much more non-linear.
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Post by PaladinHeart »

Repeatable jobs like the caravan runs are nice but quite a few of the missions were actually similar to the "fetch" missions that Morrowind so often had you doing and they tend to become extremely boring when you play the game again.

Of course that was mostly just a problem with Fallout 2. The first game has much better quests.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. " -John 3:16

Hopes. Dreams. You have to live these things. If not, they will remain prisoner within the confines of your mind for the rest of your life.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Stop referencing Morrowind. To put it succinctly, if it ends up being like Morrowind, no one here gives a flying fuck.

And mother of god. Did you seriously think this shit? PaladinHeart wrote:
What do you guys think of a giant insect invasion as the menace? Or do you just want a game where you can go around and torment people (like the GTA games)?

Are you kidding me?
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Post by PaladinHeart »

jetbaby wrote:Did you seriously think this shit? PaladinHeart wrote:
What do you guys think of a giant insect invasion as the menace? Or do you just want a game where you can go around and torment people (like the GTA games)?

Are you kidding me?
I think I already had to explain that statement to someone else. Egh... do I have to again? :anger:

PiP

Post by PiP »

jetbaby wrote:, if it ends up being like Morrowind, no one here gives a flying fuck.
I've never played Morrowind* so who knows, I might like it :chew:

*I only tried Daggerfall but I couldn't make it run properly on my rig
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

PiP wrote:
jetbaby wrote:, if it ends up being like Morrowind, no one here gives a flying fuck.

Get a job w/ the postal service. You'll be living it.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

Play some monopoly with yourself, it's the same thing.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Killzig wrote:
PiP wrote:

Get a job w/ the postal service. You'll be living it.

Basically. If you want to know that bad I'm sure you could pick up Morrowind and it's like four expansions for a few bucks in the bargain bin somewhere.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
St. Toxic

Post by St. Toxic »

Did the expansions ever add anything, y'know, redeeming? Just'd like to know.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Tribunal added new sharp and shiny objects and I guess in that winter thingy you could become a werewolf, grr :eyebrow:
Thilicynweb
SDF!
SDF!

FO3 plot

Post by Thilicynweb »

At seeing how now one can agree on one particular plot here I thought I would state my own opinion and offer an alternative to one main plot.
PaladinHeart wrote:There should always be at least two or three evil menaces that you choose whether or not you want to take them on. It would be interesting to let the player just ignore something and it eventually turn into something worse.

The good part about not killing certain foes sooner would be that they are tougher and provide a harder challenge later on in the game.
What if the whole game was like Paladin said. If the game started out with a whole bunch of power factions that would evolve over the course of the game in a set way based on the assumpution that your char is not invoving themself in any thing of importance. However, if your char gives aid to one faction, there is a realistic fallout from the events you partake in.
Example: There is a town that is split into 3 fighting factions because of a food shortage, you arrange for caravans of food to arrive at one of the factions, that faction's people survive better or fight better or simply convert people from the other factions now take over the town and start spreading thier own idea's to ther towns, which if you play a long enough might become a threat that you have stop, i.e. helping a Nazi-like faction. Thus the game need not actually ever end, which is in keeping with FO2.
It would be a system based off people's needs, wants, problems, paths to solutions, and resources. The scope of such a system could be applied to the smallest trivial thing such as
popscythe wrote:Trivial shit like getting your spear sharpened in Fallout 2

to the main quest itself.

One idea that someone already thought of and implimented in a mod for Morrowind is multiple starting points. What if your baskstory was created by the 2 maybe 3 highest stats you gave your char during char creation? Each backstory could give you a major quest and a minor one or two to start out with. Some of those or even all may not even matter once you get out into the rest of the game, as VasikkA said:
VasikkA wrote: There doesn't even have to be a connection between the beginning and endgame. The waterchip and GECK were merely excuses to send the hero out to explore the unknown. In endgame, they didn't even matter anymore.
This way there it is a lot more programing to create initially but it turns out a much more replayable game, especially if they create a large world that is very detailed. Though it wouldnt be much of a FO if it wasnt detailed.
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

I just had a brilliant idea for Fallout 3.

Imagine...

What if instead of time going forward, it actually went... BACKWARD?! :aiee:

So instead of getting phat lewt and gaining stats, you'd be losing them!

Now THIS is a great idea, am I right guys?
Our Host!